R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-11-2012, 11:22 AM   #16
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WD40 View Post
So it sounds like pretty much any of those 6 listed cars(AE,xray,serpent,awesomatrix,hot bodies, and top) will be competitive. Thanks so much for the help. That gives me a good baseline. Now let the research begin!
Also, how does the Schumacher Mi4CXL fit into the group i quoted above? Is it a good car?
WD40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:22 AM   #17
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Team Associated TC6.1
TOP Photon EX
Hot Bodies TCX (soon TCXX)
Tamiya TRF417x
Schumacher Mi4CXL
X-Ray T3 '12
Corally HMX
Serpent S411
Yokomo BD5WX
and a few more.....

These are all your top level touring cars right now. Anyone of those in the right hands will win races and be the best car in the field. Im in the same boat as you, looking for one. For me it will come down to which one I can get the best deal on. Although, IMHO everyone is, has been and always will be chasing Tamiya......
Old 04-11-2012, 11:28 AM   #18
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Also, how does the Schumacher Mi4CXL fit into the group i quoted above? Is it a good car?
Its one im interested in. Im sure if it comes with a rear gear diff as most of the current cars do. Its a top of the line car and will run just fine or better than some others.
Old 04-11-2012, 02:33 PM   #19
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
So it sounds like pretty much any of those 6 listed cars(AE,xray,serpent,awesomatrix,hot bodies, and top) will be competitive. Thanks so much for the help. That gives me a good baseline. Now let the research begin!
The best advice I can offer is don't spend a lot of money up front. There's plenty of great used cars and some really great inexpensive options. The only thing that matters the time spent driving on the track and learning setup. Practice as much as you can and race other cars at every opportunity.

Sponsored By - http://enginesbyotto.com/ & my wallet (mostly my wallet actually...)

ALL IS LOST
@Art_Mighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 04:21 PM   #20
Tech Regular

I have narrowed my choices down to 5 cars. I know it is just peoples opinion, but please try and rank the following cars in order from 1st to 5th please. Try to be as unbiased as possible toward the car you own. Here is the lineup:

XRAY T3 2012
Serpent s411
Hot Bodies TCX
TOP Photon
Tamiya TRF417x

Thank you for the input. Also it would be helpful to list if you have owned or driven the car out next to the choices.
Old 04-11-2012, 04:44 PM   #21
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Again, instead of asking us our opinions, you should just go to your local track and find out the most popular car there.
hyujmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 04:57 PM   #22
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Quote:
Just as good as the rest. Some differences in design from the others and in my opinion very few people are going to have these. I know one guy who was racing the car, but his entire purpose was to learn setup, and knew if he could setup this, he could do it on anything. Parts support is going to be difficult for these, as many hobby shops will not carry parts for something that not many people run. Most guys I know run Xray of some sort, TC6-TC6.1, or the Top Photon. Like everyone said, find out what most guys run, and what parts are supported. As I learned the hard way, if you can't get the parts where you race, a $1 part can end your day.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:48 PM   #23
Tech Regular

bump

Last edited by WD40; 04-18-2012 at 11:58 PM.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:59 PM   #24
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
I don't want to hear the standard answer of "there really isnt an answer" or "its all what YOU like the best" or "check the local track". That does not help me AT ALL. I know all those things. Please just rank them from a pure which one performs the best on the track. Which one posts the best lap times?
It's not that simple. There are too many variables influencing the type of data you want and it will vary from club to club. Rankings or ratings are inherently subjective...take the advice that's been given.
S.Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:05 PM   #25
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
I don't want to hear the standard answer of "there really isnt an answer" or "its all what YOU like the best" or "check the local track". That does not help me AT ALL. I know all those things. Please just rank them from a pure which one performs the best on the track. Which one posts the best lap times?
The one with a really good setup, driven by the best driver.

Seriously, there is no definitive answer. All are capable of winning a world championship in the right hands.

XRAY and Serpent seem to be able to take a bit more of a beating than some of the others, from what I've seen and experienced.
locked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:17 PM   #26
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Xray, since it seems to be one of those cars you don't have to buy another car's worth of hop ups and the kit setup works very well.
defcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:29 PM   #27
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
If you are going to run in Knoxville, they don't have a TC class other than vta or usgt. You really don't need a car of this caliber to be competitive. If that's what you are dead set on, then by all means go for it. However, you could buy a good used chassis and do just as well in these classes and save a ton of money. Go to http://usvintagetransam.com/ and read up on the rules for vta and usgt.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:38 PM   #28
Tech Regular

You can't compare lap times from one to another, I use the X-ray t3 12 in stock racing and there are guys running the same car in mod. They are better drivers and if the drove my car, their lap times would be better then mine. It's seriously down to which one you can get parts the easiest for. Each chassis has its own ups and downs. Example: X-ray Comes with composite shocks , tc 6.1 has c hubs that break easily.

Take the advice people are giving you as advice, they are all trying to help and have all asked the same question your asking now. As you gain more knowledge about the hobby, the factors that everyone has presented to you are the ones you should be taking into consideration.
Go to your local hobby shop and see which cars they stock and 90% chance they will have one that you like and allot of parts for it. You want to be able to walk in and get whatever parts you need. And at the track, meeting new people and making new friends, it pays to have the same car as a majority of people. If you broke a part and had no spares, someone would give you a spare to use.

ALL of these chassis are good. Either one can be put in any class and raced against the other and in the end it's the driver that makes the difference. Give that same driver another car that is set up similar, and the same result will come out.
narcotiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 12:18 AM   #29
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Hi, I know it might not matter, but...

Tamiya - 4 times world TC champion
Hotbodies - 1 time world TC champion

What's your favorite color?
http://www.youtube.com/user/rccartips/
http://www.facebook.com/RCCarTipsFan
rccartips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 01:41 AM   #30
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Which one posts the best lap times?
Seriously?

The one with the fastest driver, which is often dictated by what brand could afford that fastest driver.

It's like the most irreverent question ever to ask in RC, and yet it's asked time and time again, over and over again, you could turn up to your local track, buy everything exactly as what the fastest guy has, and be the slowest person out there, so what does it matter?.

Your support equipment will matter more in the long term, as will your setup skills, what you end up driving is almost about as unimportant as it gets, as long as it's recent and competitive, you have ticked the box that states you now have 10% of what you need.
www.myrcm.ch/main?pLa=en&hId[1]=org&dId[O]=4331
Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote