R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-31-2005, 07:50 AM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default Inline Battery placement, so why not?

I was wondering. Associated wanted to move the batteries on the Tc3 more towards the center, so they came out with the Tc4. Hpi placed them directly down the middle on the Pro3, which was a giant flop! Now Xray has a new car coming out with all the Batteries on one side. Losi has a car with the batteries down the center a la HPI. If it is such a benefit to have the batteries down the center why dont more manufacturers produce vehicles with them there? Now that I think of it, the current crop of 2wd off road buggies offer thier batteries the same way. Maybe that is just beneficial for jumping.........?
Ginsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 08:20 AM   #2
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

With shaft drive you can't place the batteries down the center, so that is why they try to get them as close as possible. The Pro3 was "a flop" for other reasons I believe, not the battery placement. In theory, batteries down the center makes the car turn/change direction quicker, which is a good thing with onroad cars.
RCevolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 08:20 AM   #3
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to BigDogRacing

I think you're right, Francis says his JRXS lands a lot cleaner off the dots at Socal and Speedworld, but you'll have to ask him for the details. As far as the HPI... Hara sux at off road so that's why it flopped...LMAO
BigDogRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 08:20 AM   #4
Tech Master

Send a message via Yahoo to koabich
Default Re: Inline Battery placement, so why not?

Quote:
Originally posted by Ginsu
I was wondering. Associated wanted to move the batteries on the Tc3 more towards the center, so they came out with the Tc4. Hpi placed them directly down the middle on the Pro3, which was a giant flop! Now Xray has a new car coming out with all the Batteries on one side. Losi has a car with the batteries down the center a la HPI. If it is such a benefit to have the batteries down the center why dont more manufacturers produce vehicles with them there? Now that I think of it, the current crop of 2wd off road buggies offer thier batteries the same way. Maybe that is just beneficial for jumping.........?
Without putting any real thought into the answer, my best guess would be placing the batteries down the centerline of the vehicle would interfere with many companies drive-train designs. Plus every manufactures has a design or concept which they feel works best.
koabich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 08:26 AM   #5
Tech Addict

Moving all the heavy components on the car closer to the center is supposed to make it more responsive in turning, make it change directions faster.
One of the reasons Associated moved the batterys closer to center was to have better balance in the car.
Pro 3 was not a flop because of the battery placement, it had other issues.
The new Losi is actually the first Losi I'm interested in buying, but that's another story.
andsetinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 08:45 AM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

So basically, the new Losi JRXS will be a worth a look at because of the battery placement. The reason I asked the question in the first place is that I am ready to purchase a sedan and found an emphasis on were the batteries were located. This was especially true in the case of the soon to be released Xray, which has some die hard fans of the split battery position very upset. I guess I am leaning towards the Losi. Thanks for your imput.
Ginsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 09:30 AM   #7
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by elcid4300
With shaft drive you can't place the batteries down the center,
Sorry, but that's not true. Just because all the current shaft tc's have the shaft down the centre, doesn't mean it can't be done otherwise.
pookat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 09:34 AM   #8
Tech Adept

Yes, you are correct (I know about the old Tamiya cars), I was just talking about the newer crop of cars generally as was mentioned in the first post
Old 01-31-2005, 10:10 AM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)
Default Centered batteries with a shaft

To keep any sort of efficiency you have to run the shaft down the middle. You can run it above the batteries but you would have to use extremly large ring gears or you can run it offset but that would need an extra set of gears somewhere to change the rotation of the shaft on one end.
Old 01-31-2005, 11:02 AM   #10
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by elcid4300
Yes, you are correct (I know about the old Tamiya cars), I was just talking about the newer crop of cars generally as was mentioned in the first post
Fair enough, i didn't consider the first post and in that light you were of course correct.
However it is worth pointing out that it does not have to be a design limitation, i'm sure you'll agree.

Jack I don't see why you will or should loose any efficiency by moving the shaft, if you do it properly, or am I missing something?
pookat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 11:10 AM   #11
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

If you move the shaft to the side of an inline battery pack and use wide diffs like in a belt car, and then connect the shaft directly to the diffs using the conventional pinion and ring gear, the front ahd rear diffs will be spinning in opposite directions. You will need another set of gears on one end to reverse the direction of one diff.

If you notice on the any of the current shaft drive TCs, the rear ring gear is on one side of the car and the front ring gear is on the opposite.
Old 01-31-2005, 11:18 AM   #12
Tech Adept

Way back when touring cars were in there infancy, Tamiya had the TA02 chassis' which had an offset driveshaft. It had a TON of gears to get everything to work. In this day and age of super free drivetrains and weight consciousness, I am afraid the design just wouldn't keep up
Old 01-31-2005, 12:11 PM   #13
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to dasupacat

Every company has their own vision of what a r/c car should be. I like companies that dare to be different. That's why I am partial to Losi. I Have owned Tamiya, Associated, & Yokomo cars, but when it comes to racing. I feel Losi is the innovater. I'm not saying those companies aren't turning out great products. I just like the fact that Losi always seems to come out and blow people's minds with their designs. The designs of the XXX-S, LST, XX-4, XXX-NTAD2, 5-link suspension on the JRX2, hydradrive, self lubricating gears, etc. I can go on. Just shows that they do it their way whether it be wrong or right, liked or disliked. The JRXS seems unconventional, but for a reason. How many companies have a shaft car? Now X-RAY is making a TRF415/RDX type car. Many companies hesitate to try anything new anymore. Maybe it's a costs/tooling issue. I dunno. I feel they all have the resources to do so. Still waiting to see an AE 4wd. LOL
All real race cars try to have everything down center. So it's no suprise to me that 2wd buggies/trucks do so also. 4wd just makes it way harder to do so. Now it looks like every company that makes a new racing kit lately have seemed to do their best to keep everything centered/lowered.

Last edited by dasupacat; 01-31-2005 at 02:35 PM.
dasupacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 12:30 PM   #14
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Lets not forget that, like HPI, Kyosho also tried a down the middle battery placement with their KX-1.

Neither of those cars really took off, so some considered the idea not worth while. That couldn't be farther from the truth. Both those cars had a few key flaws, that left them lacking.

-HPI should have released the car with the graphite plate chassis that they later offered as a upgrade. The stock chassis was far too flexable. Also the servo placement wasn't great, particularly when coupled with the flexable chassis. Even with that, the car was STILL very good in the right hands. *Key flaw* Took way too much $$$ to get it solid enough for high grip asphalt and carpet action.

-Kyosho the high battery placement left the car with higher center of gravity, which wasn't that bad unless you were on carpet. Even with that flaw, the car was great. The real killer was the $350 price tag...which was unusual when that car came out. Now its like the frickin' norm...*Key flaw* High center of gravity...and (at that time)...far too high a price tag.

Anyway... from my experiece with the KX-1, I KNOW the benefits of having the battery down the center. All the idea needed was some refinements. Thats why I've already reserved my JRX-S. Cause I think Losi might have learned from the mistakes of HPI and Kyosho and may have gotten the battery down the center idea right this time.
Old 01-31-2005, 01:02 PM   #15
Tech Regular

You can place the shaft on one side of the car with a ring and pinion but you would have to use hypoid gears that are a little more inefficient.
Unregistered is offline   Reply With Quote