R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-31-2005, 02:13 PM   #16
Tech Adept

Beat me to it, long drive from work n all.
pookat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 02:32 PM   #17
Tech Regular

ohh.. belt drive shaft!
MartynD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 02:40 PM   #18
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to dasupacat

It's too bad the HPI PRO3 & KYOSHO KX-1 didn't take off. It woulda been nice if they made a 2nd version of each with updates instead of jumping on the shaft wagon. It was good to see a both mfr. take a chance though.
dasupacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 02:47 PM   #19
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Why not have the outdrives different lengths front and rear....

so that the ring gear would be on the opposite side of the shaft...

one outdrive like this

---|----

the other like this

--|-----

Batteries not down the centerline....but closer...

The hard part is the motor placement and achieving balance...you have to be ale to get power to the drive shaft...not just betweenthe diffs....and still somehow try and achieve a relatively even L/R weight distribution...
ChrisP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 02:50 PM   #20
Tech Apprentice

I must have missed something on this, but why don't people think it would be easy to do a split layout shaft drive car? Take a look at this image. Pardon the dimensions they are a little off, but you'll get the idea...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg split shaft drive.jpg (13.4 KB, 174 views)
mushu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 03:10 PM   #21
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Too much weight on the motor side? The cars that do run side by side have the motor moved towards the centre balancing it a bit better.
berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 03:14 PM   #22
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Windsorguy99
Why not have the outdrives different lengths front and rear....

so that the ring gear would be on the opposite side of the shaft...

one outdrive like this

---|----

the other like this

--|-----

Batteries not down the centerline....but closer...

The hard part is the motor placement and achieving balance...you have to be ale to get power to the drive shaft...not just betweenthe diffs....and still somehow try and achieve a relatively even L/R weight distribution...
I was actually just thinking about that setup but I am having trouble figuring out the motor placement and steering arrangement in my mind. I might have to break out the old drafting table soon.
Old 01-31-2005, 03:20 PM   #23
Tech Adept

I wasn't hoping to make anybody design a car, just pointing out it was possible. Does seem like a good idea though doesn't it!
pookat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 03:42 PM   #24
Regional Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by mushu
I must have missed something on this, but why don't people think it would be easy to do a split layout shaft drive car? Take a look at this image. Pardon the dimensions they are a little off, but you'll get the idea...
I actually remember seeing a TC3 re-arranged like that back in the day. It was in a pic of a race meeting, but I can't remember from when.

It was like one of those occasions where one of the magazines showed a weird car they spotted at a big race. You know, like seeing a Losi 2wd buggy with inboard shocks or something. One of those things that just caught people's eye.
Old 01-31-2005, 03:44 PM   #25
Tech Elite

The most recent Durango 4wd offroader ran the shaft down the centre, over the batteries (saddle pack) and motor. It won the European Championships, so it can't be that bad. Sadly, the site www.rc10.de doesn't seem to be accessible at present.
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 03:45 PM   #26
Tech Elite

Here ya go...

sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 03:53 PM   #27
Tech Elite

with a shaft drive you wouldn't be able to run the batteries down the direct center of the chassis and still achieve balance...you'd have to haev them stil slightly off-center away from the motor...this will also help keep the motor from sticking too far out the side and can lend itself to better weight distribution...

Looking at that, along with a wide diff/short arm setup with unequal length diff outdrives and it has potential. One MAJOR drawback that I can see though isthat this design would require each corner f the car to have its own unique outdrive.....

oooohhhh.....unless a common outdrive was used with an offset gear!!..hmmmm...

it'snot just to be ablet o come up with a car that will work, but to come up with one that will work withthe minimum of unique parts so that it can be produced and marketed at a price that will generate order volume while still creating profit...

Many 1:1 cars are produced as fantastic concepts and marvels of engineering but die because there wasn't a sound business case for the production...
Old 01-31-2005, 03:57 PM   #28
Tech Elite

TheDurango is a different beast altogether...and I STILL don't care for the battery configuration....a saddle with near o clearance between cells.relying on a lexan shiield or something....just seems wrong...I dunno...

apparently it performs..but I don't that that would ever sell in the touring car market...

Remember..the touring car crowd are the same group that complained that the Xray had a higher-than-necessary CG because of the lightweight spurgear and hollow layshaft being elevated...

what do you think they would say about the spur geat and aluminum driveshaft being up in the air??
Old 01-31-2005, 04:02 PM   #29
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default So whats the consensus?

I dont want to get into a shaft vs. belt debate, just want to know if having your batts down the center is superior to other placement...........
Ginsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 04:13 PM   #30
Tech Elite

It's all about physics...having the mass centralized as much as possible helps the car to rotate easier...a lower Polar Moment of intertia

An example is a figure skater who begins a spin by inputting energy...arms outstretched they have a relatively slow spin....the frictionof the skate's bladeont he ice should consume energy and slow things down, but instead the skater draws their arms closer to their body and the rate of spin increases. The mass didn't change, there was no additional energy contributed (on the contrary...it is being constantly lost to friction) yet the rate os spin increases greatly because the skater has reduced their polar moment of inertia by moving the mass closer to their center of rotation...

This is a general explanation, as it has been over 10 years since I studied itand I don't feel like diggin up my engineering texts...but the theory is sound....

Touring car designers wantt o centralize the masss as much as possible to allow the car to rotate well..but they also need to keep a low center of ravit for handling..
it's a struggle that they wrestle with...in orde to stay low they may have to spread things out....in order to take less energy to change direction..they need to keep the 'spreading out' to a minimum...that struggle s what keeps the designs changing and evolving

and then of course there's the different pros and cons of different power transmision methods..but that's another topic altogether