R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-10-2005, 03:12 PM   #121
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

This was with rubber tyres with foam inserts. With foam tyres the weight would probably be about 10 grams lower?
Old 02-10-2005, 03:19 PM   #122
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kevin K Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin K

Quote:
Originally posted by tonyv
As far as I am aware all XRay sponsored drivers are running the FK05. The name I forgot to mention is Greg Hodapp. He's running the FK05 too.
Brian Jucha just got a new car as well......he is one of the fastest cars there in Mod with the ability to turn 9.3's with ease. So with the new car hopefully he can keep it up.
Im only responsible for what I say NOT what you understand.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 03:20 PM   #123
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Tony,

Out of curiosity, when was the first concept of this new car conceived? And given FK is an awesome car as is, what prompted you guys to come up with a brand new car, considering all the new hopups for the FK only came out late last summer?

Dom
Old 02-10-2005, 03:32 PM   #124
Tech Adept

I'd also like to ask a question, doubt i'll get an answer though, but gonna ask it anyway....

There are pics of the production model, where at the front of the top deck, there are 2 un-used countersunk screw holes.
There are likewise, 2 countersunk holes doing nothing on the chassis of the car.

You already know the Q, but... Can you give us any idea what these are there for??

You dont put holes into something without there being a reason, weight mount possitions doesnt add up with top-deck holes, you wouldnt put weight up there, so there needs to be a reason for it.
I've noticed over the years new items released a month or 2 after the latest kit, and they just so happen to fit where there just so happens to be some holes that just so happen to be unused

The rear roll center items for example, holes were in the original FK rear tower, but the item wasnt released at the same time as the kit, yet obviously it was planned or why have those stratigically placed holes.

So yeah, can you tell us what these holes are for, or do we have to wait and see a month or so after the official release?

PaulC2K
PaulC2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 03:42 PM   #125
Tech Master

My Bet is a new steering in the works, these holes are ideally placed and have their conterparts on the top deck
TRF415boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 03:56 PM   #126
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kevin K Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin K

If you are talking about the holes in the top deck they are there so you can add a post to stiffen up the chassis if needed. This is what I was told by a driver that saw the production one at the Brids.
Im only responsible for what I say NOT what you understand.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 04:07 PM   #127
Tech Elite

yeah, looks like there are corresponding holes on the main chassis. It'll be too close to the front bulkheads to mount anything else.

Dom
Old 02-10-2005, 04:09 PM   #128
Tech Regular

Dom,

Hard to tell as I am not involved in the very early stages. I know there was some research in this direction even before the Worlds but the thinking was not far enough to come up with a workable prototype. The real work on this one didn't start until November I think. The first prototype is the one we ran at the DHI Cup mid January which most of the team got between one and two weeks beforehand. So the ultimate development time of the final product was relatively short. Off course some of the ideas incorporated in this one have been around for a while. For example the height adjustable rear diff was already tested on the Worlds prototype (we even had it in front on that prototype).

PaulC2K,

I cannot be sure but I can imagine they could be used for a different steering setup using two-point instead of centerpoint steering as TRF415Boy suggested. Although they do seem a bit close to each other for that. The stiffening idea sounds a bit far fetched to me. where the holes are now it would have a lot of effect on rigidity. I am not aware of any testing going on with anything using these holes so we may never see anything that will use them (this has happened in the past too).
Old 02-10-2005, 04:15 PM   #129
Tech Elite

Thanks Tony. Especially thank you for answering a million questions from all of us that can't wait and already blew all the pictures up on a 21" screen then use magnifying glass to examine every little part and hole!

Dom
Old 02-10-2005, 04:20 PM   #130
Tech Regular

Talking

Hey, I did the exact same thing to see what if anything had changed compared to my prototype.

Glad to be of assistance. Will be back on tomorrow but have to go catch some sleep now. Have fun!
Old 02-10-2005, 05:58 PM   #131
Tech Elite

I'm one of the loyal Losi fans waiting on the JRXS. I have to say the X-Ray cars are of the highest quality and this new car looks to be a great ride. Hope you guys do not have to wait too long to get your hands on it.

Brant

My Carbon Footprint is Larger than Yours! :p
POOKYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 06:39 PM   #132
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

lol brant....the first race may be to see what car hits the hobby shops first....looks like both cars...the xray and the losi are showing some muscle today....the corraly isnt bad either....should make some great club racing this year....
Mdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 07:06 PM   #133
Tech Master

does anyone know the estimated release date on it
cant wait to get my hands on one
hpipro321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 07:33 PM   #134
Tech Addict

I think there will be some more infromation about a release date on Monday or Tuesday when the Xray guys get back from the Nürnberg show.
Eric Gebhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 07:34 PM   #135
Tech Master

oh ok thanks
hpipro321 is offline   Reply With Quote