Like Tree1Likes

Xray T1FK05

Old 03-30-2005, 01:10 PM
  #1291  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (3)
 
kewdawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Sneederville, USA
Posts: 3,322
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Originally posted by cvt01
"but why does it feel so "dry"? "

I recommend to disassemble all the diffs before use. My FK04 came with a dry diff. It is just an assembly mistake of the factory operators - I don't blame them, for me is building two diffs a day is more than enogh and they build what? like hundred a day
Mine weren't dry at all? This is my second "new" Xray and neither had "dry" diffs. The diff just aren't packed with an excessive amount of diff lube. But if, you truely believe they're "dry", feel free to re-build. I don't think it's necessary. Xray's assemblers are usually on-point with partial assembly and packaging the kits. I don't think you have anything to worry about.
kewdawg is offline  
Old 03-30-2005, 01:42 PM
  #1292  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (4)
 
StewartFan20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Grrrrr!!!!
Posts: 695
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Dry Diffs

Both my diffs were bone dry. In fact, I fried one of my diffs the first day I had it because it was bone dry. Not a drop of lube anywhere.
StewartFan20 is offline  
Old 03-30-2005, 01:57 PM
  #1293  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (3)
 
kewdawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Sneederville, USA
Posts: 3,322
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Re: Dry Diffs

Originally posted by StewartFan20
Both my diffs were bone dry. In fact, I fried one of my diffs the first day I had it because it was bone dry. Not a drop of lube anywhere.
Wow!? That's the first time I've heard of that happening.
kewdawg is offline  
Old 03-30-2005, 02:02 PM
  #1294  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (2)
 
John Fontaine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: SouthEast PA
Posts: 2,699
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

I'll be redoing my difs with Mugen super grease on the thrust bearings. Never blew anything using that stuff...not even nitro thrust bearings in the centax clutch!
John Fontaine is offline  
Old 03-30-2005, 02:02 PM
  #1295  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (4)
 
StewartFan20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Grrrrr!!!!
Posts: 695
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

I took the second diff apart and saw hits of lube and grease. But not near enough to do the job.

So, I would recommend tearing the diffs down and re-lubing them.
StewartFan20 is offline  
Old 03-30-2005, 02:17 PM
  #1296  
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Howell, NJ
Posts: 49
Default

Originally posted by John Fontaine
Instead of adjustable shocks, I might build this set with regular holed pistons... hmm
John,

This is Abhi from Horsham...

Build your shocks with the adjustable pistons, I noticed that once the shocks are made, its hard to get to the pistons, without taking the ball cup on the end off.

That was my observation.
tminus3 is offline  
Old 03-30-2005, 02:41 PM
  #1297  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (2)
 
John Fontaine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: SouthEast PA
Posts: 2,699
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

I know...i've had the adjustable on my xray that I just sold... Oh, I know all about Xray shocks from driving an xray for the last 3 years...lol
John Fontaine is offline  
Old 03-30-2005, 02:45 PM
  #1298  
Tech Fanatic
 
kidDynomite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 928
Default

Originally posted by John Fontaine
Instead of adjustable shocks, I might build this set with regular holed pistons... hmm
That's how Josh did his shocks. Fixed pistons with the correct amount of pack from specified weight oil.

I'm with Kewdawg on the shocks. I hated them, but never gave up on them. Just needed to figure out a good method of re-building them.

Some people get air bubbles in their shocks when using the adjustable pistons and can't figure why. The 30wt Xray oil is relatively thicker than Trinity or AE oil of the same rating. Make sure that after you fill the shock body with oil, you pump and "key in" the piston in each locking groove at the base of the shock body to ensure that they're are no air pockets. Also make sure to pump out the air while adjusting the the piston settings... one hole closed, two holes closed etc. They're are lots of little holes on the adj. pistons for air to get trapped in.
kidDynomite is offline  
Old 03-30-2005, 03:14 PM
  #1299  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (3)
 
kewdawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Sneederville, USA
Posts: 3,322
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Originally posted by kidDynomite
That's how Josh did his shocks. Fixed pistons with the correct amount of pack from specified weight oil.

I'm with Kewdawg on the shocks. I hated them, but never gave up on them. Just needed to figure out a good method of re-building them.

Some people get air bubbles in their shocks when using the adjustable pistons and can't figure why. The 30wt Xray oil is relatively thicker than Trinity or AE oil of the same rating. Make sure that after you fill the shock body with oil, you pump and "key in" the piston in each locking groove at the base of the shock body to ensure that they're are no air pockets. Also make sure to pump out the air while adjusting the the piston settings... one hole closed, two holes closed etc. They're are lots of little holes on the adj. pistons for air to get trapped in.
Good instructions. That's exactly how I build them. Xray 30wt. should be equivalent to Trinity 60wt..
kewdawg is offline  
Old 03-30-2005, 03:38 PM
  #1300  
Tech Master
iTrader: (5)
 
Steve Bahnatka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 1,071
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

kewdawg ygpm
Steve Bahnatka is offline  
Old 03-30-2005, 03:40 PM
  #1301  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (85)
 
Midnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Edmond. Oklahoma
Posts: 2,066
Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)
Default

So is that about losi 50 wt?
Midnight is offline  
Old 03-30-2005, 04:06 PM
  #1302  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (23)
 
ALBERTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: LONG ISLAND, NEW YORK
Posts: 2,986
Trader Rating: 23 (96%+)
Default

Originally posted by kewdawg
Xray 30wt. should be equivalent to Trinity 60wt..
Are you sure about that.... I'm only asking cause that seems like a big differanse in weight. I was always under the assumtion that we all masure oil in the same mannor...... if not i just learned something new
ALBERTO is offline  
Old 03-30-2005, 04:14 PM
  #1303  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (85)
 
Midnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Edmond. Oklahoma
Posts: 2,066
Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)
Default

Originally posted by ALBERTO
Are you sure about that.... I'm only asking cause that seems like a big differanse in weight. I was always under the assumtion that we all masure oil in the same mannor...... if not i just learned something new
You have to realize that xray is one of the best engineered vehicle ever made. They seem to take things for instance shock oil, to a whole new level.
Midnight is offline  
Old 03-30-2005, 04:17 PM
  #1304  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (3)
 
kewdawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Sneederville, USA
Posts: 3,322
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Originally posted by Little Bahnatka
kewdawg ygpm
Yeah... well now ygpm.
kewdawg is offline  
Old 03-30-2005, 04:18 PM
  #1305  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (3)
 
kewdawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Sneederville, USA
Posts: 3,322
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Originally posted by Midnight
So is that about losi 50 wt?
Don't know the conversion to Losi oil wt., sorry.
kewdawg is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.