Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-30-2005, 08:36 AM   #1276
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Lonestar
All,

thanks for the FB.

I don't think anyone has clearly answered, but I take it the diff needs to be disassembled right away... I usually use stealth lube on the diff balls and graphite grease on the trust bearing. That's the typical AE setup, and it's treated me great for years.

Duckman: I tightened it because it was slipping like hell (in my hands during assembly) and I thought it was assembled properly (ie greased)... Had I not tightened it, it would have gotten worse. When a diff breaks in, it loosens up (the thrust bearing spring or Belleville washers actually soften)

A-arm holders: I'll do my best, thanks all for your inputs. With rubber we use 3deg, and as you can imagine nothing sits parallel to anything else anymore, so I guess a slight bind is not surprising after all... it'll break in. I'll also install Aluminum shims.

Any trick on a quick way to get the diff off the car without pulling half the chassis apart???

Thanks a lot!
Paul

I don't have an fk05, but can tell you that on teh fk, the diff was assembled wrong. that was the case on my evo2 as well. the coned washers behind the thrust bearing were not installed correctly. one was in the same direction as the one it was pressed against.

I woudl build it the AE way except use the xray lube that is provided with the kit. this will make a smoother diff. The lube is not as thick as the AE stuff.

just like the FK and the evo2, you will need to at least pull out one of the bulkhead to get to the diff. I usualy remove the right on the front and left on the rear.

Team Tamale | Team Tekin | RCAmerica | Speedmerchant | Speedzone RC | EA Motorsports | Ko Propo USA | eXpress Motorsports | Parma/PSE
theisgroup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 08:37 AM   #1277
Tech Initiate

Send a message via AIM to tminus3 Send a message via Yahoo to tminus3

Hey Mr Shookie!

Interesting that you bring up the Yok. I have never owned one, but everybody that has one raves about it!
At my local track, the Corally and the Yok seem to be #1 and #2 consistently, followed by a slew of drivers on the FK'04.

It could also be that Jeff Cuffs (RDX) and Jason Schreffler (Yok) are driving those cars!!!

Hmm coming to think about it, yeah that probably is the main reason.
tminus3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 10:38 AM   #1278
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by tminus3
Hey Mr Shookie!

Interesting that you bring up the Yok. I have never owned one, but everybody that has one raves about it!
At my local track, the Corally and the Yok seem to be #1 and #2 consistently, followed by a slew of drivers on the FK'04.

It could also be that Jeff Cuffs (RDX) and Jason Schreffler (Yok) are driving those cars!!!

Hmm coming to think about it, yeah that probably is the main reason.
That's the ONLY reason. We have two of the top drivers in the country at our track, every week! It really doesn't matter what they drive, they're going to be fast. Jason has changed cars more than anyone I know, (with the exception of Marvin Howard, who I think moonlights as a r/c used car salesman). Jason's VERY FAST. In fact, I think he's currently running the TC4.

Trinity / Epic / Revtech / VBC Racing USA / Mugen Seiki / Hot Race Tyres / SkyRocket Racing / SUPAFAST RC
kewdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 10:42 AM   #1279
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by Lonestar
All,

thanks for the FB.

I don't think anyone has clearly answered, but I take it the diff needs to be disassembled right away... I usually use stealth lube on the diff balls and graphite grease on the trust bearing. That's the typical AE setup, and it's treated me great for years.

Duckman: I tightened it because it was slipping like hell (in my hands during assembly) and I thought it was assembled properly (ie greased)... Had I not tightened it, it would have gotten worse. When a diff breaks in, it loosens up (the thrust bearing spring or Belleville washers actually soften)

A-arm holders: I'll do my best, thanks all for your inputs. With rubber we use 3deg, and as you can imagine nothing sits parallel to anything else anymore, so I guess a slight bind is not surprising after all... it'll break in. I'll also install Aluminum shims.

Any trick on a quick way to get the diff off the car without pulling half the chassis apart???

Thanks a lot!
Paul
No, you don't need to take the diffs apart. The diffs come pre-assembled for you as a time saver. All you need to do is tighten the diff so its not slipping and adjust it every few laps because it loosens as it breaks itself in.

Trinity / Epic / Revtech / VBC Racing USA / Mugen Seiki / Hot Race Tyres / SkyRocket Racing / SUPAFAST RC
Old 03-30-2005, 10:50 AM   #1280
Tech Initiate

Send a message via AIM to tminus3 Send a message via Yahoo to tminus3

Q! What's up dawg???

I know they did us the courtesy of putting the diff together, but why does it feel so "dry"? is that the kind of diff lube they are using?

Btw, I am not too impressed with the overall build quality of the FK'05's shocks! The Tamiya shocks went together so much better and feel smoother. Maybe I need to get the hang of building XRAY shocks!
tminus3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 10:50 AM   #1281
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rayhuang

Quote:
Originally posted by kewdawg
Jason has changed cars more than anyone I know, (with the exception of Marvin Howard, who I think moonlights as a r/c used car salesman)
kewdawg-ummmm-that just cannot be-I am the official Sedan whore of RCTech. But hopefully not for long. And yes-Jason ran a BMI TC4 at the Nats.
rayhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 11:00 AM   #1282
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by rayhuang
I am the official Sedan whore of RCTech.
Old 03-30-2005, 11:05 AM   #1283
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 42 (94%+)
Send a message via AIM to DENNIS STORTI

im think schreff an I have cahanged more cars in the last 6 months then bo an luke duke after every creek jump

rotflmao

schreff changes cars to see what hes faster with
i on the other hand change cars to see which one i can go slower with
DENNIS STORTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 11:13 AM   #1284
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Quote:
I am the official Sedan whore of RCTech.
It's just limited to sedans?

“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.” - John Wayne
dr_hfuhuhurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 11:18 AM   #1285
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Schreff, what, did you last one week with the FK04? That was funny stuff.

I think we've settled on the fact that he's fastest and most comfortable with shaft-drive cars.

Ya know, one of my funniest memories at the Nats was after qualifying fifth overall for the third round reshuffle, I felt that I had easily the most motor in stock on the track. I was pulling everyone on the straights and just hanging with 'em (Cuffs, Robinson, etc.) in the corners. Then, in the third round, I've got Schreff in my A-qualie resort and I'm going down the straight and he's just as fast as I am and I'm calling out, 'Jason, don't peel me, please, don't peel me. And he's like, "then let me go."' Interestingly enough, I think he boned it with someone else in the next few corners (I think it was Jeff Dayger). BUT, it was still really funny and I'm thinking, MAN, it figures Jason would figure out the motors.
Jon Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 11:28 AM   #1286
Tech Champion

Send a message via AIM to rayhuang

Quote:
Originally posted by dr_hfuhuhurr
It's just limited to sedans?
Yup-believe it or not. Rev3 for years-then upgraded to a Rev4 for the Nats in 2004 and a L4 ever since. So 3 cars in 5-years.
rayhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 11:29 AM   #1287
Tech Elite

Quote:
kewdawg-ummmm-that just cannot be-I am the official Sedan whore of RCTech. But hopefully not for long.
That's just bad, man!

Old 03-30-2005, 11:33 AM   #1288
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by tminus3
Q! What's up dawg???

I know they did us the courtesy of putting the diff together, but why does it feel so "dry"? is that the kind of diff lube they are using?

Btw, I am not too impressed with the overall build quality of the FK'05's shocks! The Tamiya shocks went together so much better and feel smoother. Maybe I need to get the hang of building XRAY shocks!
Yeah, I was never a fan of the Xray shocks, but this time around they went together a lot better. Guess I got used to their "uniqueness". The diffs are fine - just follow the instructions and you'll be fine.

Old 03-30-2005, 12:34 PM   #1289
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

"but why does it feel so "dry"? "

I recommend to disassemble all the diffs before use. My FK04 came with a dry diff. It is just an assembly mistake of the factory operators - I don't blame them, for me is building two diffs a day is more than enogh and they build what? like hundred a day
cvt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 12:46 PM   #1290
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to John Fontaine

Instead of adjustable shocks, I might build this set with regular holed pistons... hmm