R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-27-2005, 03:04 AM   #1096
Tech Regular

Send a message via ICQ to tc3Guru Send a message via AIM to tc3Guru

I haven't built my fk05 yet I sold my fk04 w/ bmi 350 on it to a buddy there a few weeks ago. I have been waiting on word on jrxs for past indoor series (http://www.tcrcracing.com/) just like many of you. LHS (www.abhobby.freeservers.com) had two FK05's so I got one. Stay true to Xray. Not to say I won't own jrxs after a few weeks of hearing how well or how well it doesn't (tc4) haha.

Anyway I don't feel like reading through 113 pages I just have a few questions. I sold all of my xray parts along w/ my car becaues I thought I was doing the change except for my springs.

so here's my questions

The shocks are still the same correct? if there is a change let me know what. pretty sure the springs will interchange most sure.

AArm's the short fk04's are they the same as FK05?
shock towers?
I've heard that the oneways are different so I take it the spools are to?

now for what I know on carpet w/ xray's

Front Tires - Parma Cyan / 58mm / Paragon on inside 1/4
Rear Tires - Parma Magentas / 58mm / Paragon Full
tires for our track this is what hooked

Camber (-2) degrees on all four wheels
Front Links - Lowest outer hole on shock tower, 3mm spacer under link on knuckle.

Outer links - Lowest outer hole on shock tower, 2mm spacer under link on knuckle.

Caster - 6 degrees

Kickup - 0 degrees

Antisquat - 0 degrees

Wheelbase - Longest

Ackerman - Inside holes on the servo saver and ackerman extention plates on the Knuckles.

Toe - 1 degree toe-out in Front / 2 degrees toe-in in rear

Front Shocks - 30wt Xray Oil / 1 hole open / Light Red Spring / Outer hole on shock tower

Rear Shocks - 30wt Xray Oil / 1 hole open / Purple Spring / 2nd outermost hole on shokc tower, inner hole on arm.

Front Swaybar - 2mm
Rear Swaybar - 1mm

Ride height - 5mm front and rear

Droop - 2mm front 3mm rear

Motor - this is a good mod and stock set up.
Gearing - 128 Spur 27 Pinion

W/o sway bars you might not want to try this set up.

w/o sway bar try set up
white springs w/ one hole open in rear
dark blue up front.w/ two holes open

Guy in Texas told me he ended up running going a light blue in rear w/ 2
holes open and dark blue w/ 3 holes open.

I sure hope Jason can get fabricating on kit soon
tc3Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 04:30 AM   #1097
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hi TC3Guru,

First a small tip. The official XRay forum has a pretty good search engine that will help you find most answers fairly quickly.

Here are the answers I can come up with:

- The shocks are the same and the FK04 springs will fit the 05 too.
- The A-arms are likewise the same as are the shock towers.
- The one-ways are now reversed and can be locked in two different ways, one of which is the same as running a spool. However the FK04 spool (and normal diff) will work at the front. Only the FK04 one-way will not work on the FK05.
- For information on foam setups I refer to the foam setups listed in the FK05 downloads section on the XRay website (products > FK05 > Downloads).
Old 03-27-2005, 10:37 AM   #1098
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by HarshGuy
Nice to hear someone else is in my same situation ...actually even after the Losi comes out I'm gonna wait "a spell" to see how it works in the hands of "mere mortals" ...I'm really impressed at how the fk05 works in these "mere mortals" hands ...there's quiet a few racers I run with that gave up waiting on the Losi and picked up the fk05 instead ....I'm "that close" to doing it myself
Yeah, your definitely not the only one in this situation. This is my first experience with Team Losi, and I have to say that they are FAR from living up to the positive rumors I heard about them. Especially in the customer service department.

I'm past being "that close". I've contacted my guy at the LHS about transfering the funds from my fully paid off!!! JRX-S to another kit. So I'm waiting to hear back about if he has any FK05 or Mi2 kits coming in. If Losi does something before he gets back to me, or before I can make it out there, then cool...otherwise I'm done with them.

The reports and pics of the FK05 kinda has me leaning that way...I'm an outdoor asphault racer who prefers dual diffs, so the US version of the FK05 would be right up my alley.
Old 03-27-2005, 10:44 AM   #1099
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by Darkseid
So I'm waiting to hear back about if he has any FK05 or Mi2 kits coming in.
f
Dont settle for anything less than a FK05. Mi2 just wont cut it.
mtc3od is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 10:52 AM   #1100
Tech Regular

Ok, pulling up a seat at the table...

Just bought the FK'05 moving from a TC4.

This is only my second TC and first carbon fiber chassis car.
Building this for carpet with CS22's.

Must haves..

Spring steel fron axle sleeve things
anything else?

Building..

File battery slots and chassis edges and CA them.

Spares?

Anything else?

Thanks
MartynD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 11:07 AM   #1101
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to S-T-R-l-K-E-R

since the battery brace doesnt come with the kit i suggest you get one!!! secondly you need to file the slots for the strapping tape.

the "blades" the black plastic thingie that mounts on the ends of the cvd's you must check it regularly to prevent any unwanted wear on the outdrives.

i heard that 116T 64dp spur would be nice to have.
S-T-R-l-K-E-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 11:24 AM   #1102
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to goop

i have raced my fko5 this weekend and man this car is fast. the prs 116 64p spur gear is the one you want i have it on my ride and its exactly the same size as the 84t. the only problem i had was a bad tweak in the right rear which turned out to be a bad arm. usually im about a 1/2 to a lap behind the fastest guys at rsj and i was right there with my fk05. if anyone needs a good foam carpet setup i have one.

TOP Racing - Gravity Rc - Contact tires - KO Propo - Competition Electronics
goop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 01:52 PM   #1103
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by goop
i have raced my fko5 this weekend and man this car is fast. the prs 116 64p spur gear is the one you want i have it on my ride and its exactly the same size as the 84t. the only problem i had was a bad tweak in the right rear which turned out to be a bad arm. usually im about a 1/2 to a lap behind the fastest guys at rsj and i was right there with my fk05. if anyone needs a good foam carpet setup i have one.
What brand is the spur gear? I was told I could go with an associated! I just need a part number.
Old 03-27-2005, 02:53 PM   #1104
Tech Adept

Post spur gears

precisionracingsystems.com Try this link for the spur gears I haven't used them but have 2 on order. These are the ones goop and a few other people with the fk05 have recomended
Andy C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 02:56 PM   #1105
Tech Adept

http://precisionracingsystems.com/browse I redid the link so it works now
Andy C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 03:55 PM   #1106
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by mtc3od
f
Dont settle for anything less than a FK05. Mi2 just wont cut it.
Schumacher's cars are as good as any on the market, I know, I've owned 3 of them in the past.

So like I was saying...FK05 or Mi2...either one...

Good cars are good cars...no matter the brand.
Old 03-27-2005, 04:40 PM   #1107
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to dado11g Send a message via AIM to dado11g Send a message via Yahoo to dado11g

hey guys, i havent driven my fk05 yet but i was wondering what you guys think about sanding the chassis a bit to lower the batteries? they seem to me like they could go down another safe 2-3mm. just wondering.

thanks
dado11g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 04:44 PM   #1108
Tech Regular

File the edges of the battery slots as was mentioned above.
Old 03-27-2005, 06:03 PM   #1109
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by MartynD
Ok, pulling up a seat at the table...

Just bought the FK'05 moving from a TC4.

This is only my second TC and first carbon fiber chassis car.
Building this for carpet with CS22's.

Must haves..

Spring steel fron axle sleeve things
anything else?

Building..

File battery slots and chassis edges and CA them.

Spares?

Anything else?

Thanks
Martyn,

Just finished building mine as well ... I'm gonna run foam/mod though. Welcome to the Darkside .... :

As for sanding the chassis, take some time with it. I would suggest that you mount the plastic battery stops (pg 20) and mark the chassis accordingly so that you can see where you will need to file the battery slots ... go slow and check how the batteries are sitting in the chassis ever-so-often. When I CA'ed the chassis, I did a couple coats and then wet-sanded it so that it turn's out nice and smooth - use at least 500 grit (I used 1000).

The front spring-steel hubs are nice, however, if you can't find any locally, another trick that you can do is to file the inner-edge of the stock alluminum hubs to knife-edge them so that when you do hit a board, it does not mushroom the hub out making it impossible to get the hub out if need-be ... or worse, causing the axle to bind in the bearing.

Invest in a P-Dub bumper ... I am getting one for my car. They are much stiffer then the factor bumper - and more likely to save the front-end in the event of contact with the boards.

For spares, the car is pretty durable if anything like the FT (04) ... the only thing that I would stock-up on would be:

- One spare front arm
- One spare rear arm
- an extra pair of c-hubs
- TOP BUMPER PLATES (have 2,3 in your box)... for some reason this is the weak link on all XRay's and looking at the design, it appears that this car is the same as the FT that I had.

Other then that, you should be fine ... with the number of us that have X-Rays, in a bind, I am sure that you will be alright.

As for rubber-tire set-up's send me an e-mail, I have one that I pulled from the XRay site that I can send you...

Martin
duckman996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 06:13 PM   #1110
Tech Regular

ahh Nice timely post Duckman!

filed Ca'd, and the drivetrain is now basically together...

The sanding sounds like a nice idea, we'll see .. I am well into construction now.

I am aiming to pickup the spring steel hubs (just for the front) this week, where can I get a p-dub bumper?
The top bumper plate for the FK'05? is it the same part # as was used on past XRays?

Mebbe I'll have to look at building my own custom bumper/plate...