R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-17-2005, 11:11 PM   #691
Tech Regular

Default Re: Re: Foam Tire

Quote:
Originally posted by Joneser
Some Xray drivers have found that purple/plaids are just better than the double ping/orange combo. The wide top deck and 2 extra standoffs will significantly stiffen the car. The wider the mounting area the stiffer it will be.
They had to run purple and plaids because traction was sooooo high.
mtc3od is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 11:32 PM   #692
Tech Addict

Default Re: Re: Re: Foam Tire

Quote:
Originally posted by mtc3od
They had to run purple and plaids because traction was sooooo high.
Double Pink/orange (cyan/magenta) is typically the tire in high grip too....it just so happens that the xray seems to like purple/plaid too. From what I heard, Gilles was one of the few guys that could run the purple/plaid combo. At last years Nats, some of the xray guys in stock were liking the purples better than the double pinks but most cars still liked the double pink.
Joneser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 12:48 AM   #693
Tech Rookie

Hi Joneser

I donīt understand your frustration with hard a-arms. I ran in snowbird my first time with foam tires and i ran with same old and standard a-arms as the kit has. My xray car was one of the best. Also Jilles tested before the last qual using more flex topdeck, and after that he took TQ and won both finals, so maybe using more flex chassi would have been even better.

regarding tires, almost everyone everyone in the team ran plaid/purple exept dumas that had trc tires.
On snowbird race using plaid/purple was just easier to drive and faster.

/Joel
Joel Myrberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 01:38 AM   #694
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by VenomWorldOrder
so who will be the first consumer to post a built pic? lucky buggers
http://vassago.demon.nl/fk05

So, what do I win?

Pictures are still in the process of being updated and some are of poor quality but that will be fixed soon.
vassago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 03:03 AM   #695
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Well, I checked with Mario. The hard arms ARE coming, but they aren't available just yet (i.e. have not been shipped yet). An announcement as to availability should follow in the next few weeks, but in the mean time Mario indicated May is the month XRay is targeting for release.
Old 03-18-2005, 03:21 AM   #696
Tech Adept

I am also looking forward to the hard C-hubs.
Does this mean you don't need the alu C-hub anymore?
(According to Jilles the medium ones deform too much on large asphalt tracks IIRC)
Old 03-18-2005, 03:52 AM   #697
Tech Adept

Well, i got the prices for the Battery strap and the Motor Guard, i think i'll be buying some tape and some Kydex!

Battery Strap - Ģ23.99 (aprx $45)
Motor Guard - Ģ11.99 (aprx $21)

I can imagine you guys wont be paying that, price matching on kits, sure, but spares i can see going up in price to make up for what little is being made from UK kit sales.
My guess, $30 and $20 for those parts bought in the states.

Im gonna run tape during the outdoor season, and hopefully before its finished, either xray/mirage will come to there senses on 2 peices of Carbon Fibre, or someone like BMI or Fibrelite will have made something similar for much cheaper.

Joneser:
I think your interpreting the message of some 'not in the know' member of staff at RC America, if the item doesnt exist on there database, then just because someone on the other end of the phone/email says it does, doesnt make it true as far as there facts tell them.
How essential these hard arms are going to be is questionable though, but we wont know until we get them, its rather odd though that the soft/med/hard LONG arms have been made and i'd assume were considered suitably required for different drivers needs, so why its take 12 months for the short arms, i dont know.

Re the parts availability, thats inexcusable, regardless of who the company is, if they're making a product then they should have a full supply of spares etc available to the customers. Who's fault that is i suppose is unknown, is that Xrays for not making enough items, the distributer for not purchasing enough to meet demands?
I know about 2 years ago there was a slight shortage where all the team drivers were getting whatever spares they wanted, and then the rest was passed onto shops for us regular customers, which you can understand why they'd do that, but it takes the p*ss at the same time. The distributer also lacked the funds to get decent sized orders into the country to meet demand, and its only the last year where its been a bit better (last 6-9 months cos of a new distributer).

Crap links = Crap chain
Doesnt make the other links crap, but the end result isnt as strong as all its other links would suggest it is.
PaulC2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 09:30 AM   #698
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

vassago - how'd you do that? I didn't look at all the pix, so if something in one of them gives it away, I missed it.
Old 03-18-2005, 09:31 AM   #699
Tech Adept

Do what?
Old 03-18-2005, 09:34 AM   #700
Tech Master

get a kit assembled already - for that matter, how'd you a kit so quick?
Old 03-18-2005, 09:36 AM   #701
Tech Adept

Vassago is a Cat Burglar, or an FK05 burglar, there wasnt the money in the cat business that there used to be.

Guessing he's a jammy Bugger and got hold of one before the shops should have released them, or he has friends in increadably high places.

Old 03-18-2005, 09:38 AM   #702
Tech Master

I thought I had friends in pretty high places - but apparently his friends are higher - LOL

Congrats! I expect to get mine Mon or Tues - we'll see how fast they get to the LHS.
Old 03-18-2005, 10:17 AM   #703
Tech Adept

i think all the modelshops should have been given one of those big torch things like Batman had, and as soon as the Xrays were in the shops, a big (X) would light up in the sky, and people would come flocking to the shop!

I've got my modelshop of full alert for me, the moment it comes in im on my way there, the only alternative was camping outside the shop and waiting there refusing to allow anyone but delivery guys through the door

probably about 2 days and 18hrs till i get mine, its worse than Xmas!
See, now theres an opportunity missed too, release the kits 3 months sooner, and have the tag line, 'Putting the X into Xmas'
Old 03-18-2005, 11:27 AM   #704
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Tonyv
Are the optional .75 susp. holders going to be available soon? They are not listed with the option parts - the only place they are mentioned is on the setup sheets.
Thanks
dway100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 12:10 PM   #705
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by rcman6
Thanks for the response about the springs! I will buy the Xray springs I just hate the fact that you have to buy them in sets of four. I have another question, I noticed that they have three different C-hubs soft, medium, and hard. I'm assuming they are referring to the plastic. What are people running. I will running the car on a tight carpet track for about a month then I will be going out on the asphalt. Sorry for all the newbie questions, just trying to prepare my self for the new ride!
You could save yourself a few bucks and get the two box sets, which will give you the full line of Xray springs. If, you insist on running other manufacturer's springs... you can also use Trinity/ Team Magic G4 springs. They work well too.

Trinity / Epic / Revtech / VBC Racing USA / Mugen Seiki / Hot Race Tyres / SkyRocket Racing / SUPAFAST RC
kewdawg is offline   Reply With Quote