R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-10-2005, 08:01 PM   #616
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Hey Kevin, expect an email from me int he coming couple weeks...

The TC4's that I bought bumpers for are now sold...and looks like I'll be needing to get bumpers for a couple Xrays...at least 2 more...plus some others...I'll get word out that an order is being placed around my local track and let you know how many of each type...

They work great
ChrisP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 08:17 PM   #617
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to greencactus3

what are the prices on those? the impact bumper and the rubberneck bumper
greencactus3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 08:33 PM   #618
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to S-T-R-l-K-E-R

what doesa rubberneck bumper look like? where can i get one?
S-T-R-l-K-E-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 09:05 PM   #619
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by S-T-R-l-K-E-R
what doesa rubberneck bumper look like? where can i get one?
Dont know how to describe it other than its wider than the stock, harder than the stock and it just works better. I have run weeks with a broken bumper brace without any other breakage. Kevin can be reached at [email protected]
Joneser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 03:20 AM   #620
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I think most of the key points have already been brought up in the "chassis thickness" discussion. One comment I think is very funny however. The idea that a 2.5mm chassis would not be good.

True, at the Snowbirds the team had to rebuild their cars. There were two reasons for this. Juraj brought the first batch of production parts and wanted everyone to run those as there were some small changes made. Second at least Jilles and probably the majority of the team decided to run the 3mm chassis as with 450 people running foam tires on the same track for several days round the clock gives unbelievably high grip levels. Corally even brought a 4mm chassis for that very same reason.

But, mostly all of us run under more normal grip levels and quite often under low grip conditions. Even at larger events grip can be insufficient. Someone stated that the team does not run thin chassis like the 2.5mm so it cannot be good. Huh , at the Worlds we ran 2.2mm chassis on the Worlds prototype. Some of the A-finalists even ran 2mm chassis! Why? Because the track and the circumstances demanded it to get corner speed up. This was after the 12th scale Worlds had already laid some rubber down and on a sugar watered track. Similarly at the DHI cup our best runs were made with a 2.2mm chassis. Again, a big race on supposedly a high grip track. Both of these events are the reason there will be a chassis that is 2mm thick as an option.

Now correct me if I am wrong, but the middle ground between 2 and 3mm is 2.5mm. Seems to me like a fair compromise as it will work in most circumstances for most drivers...
Old 03-11-2005, 04:16 AM   #621
TC3
Tech Regular

i can't finde a rear swaybar, so are front and rear swaybars the same ?

can i use tamiya springs on the xray shocks, and other way round (xray springas on tamiya shocks) ?
TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 04:23 AM   #622
V12
Tech Elite

TC3
should work as Im using Xray springs on my Tamiya currently. But the Tamiya springs are quite soft. From what I saw Alex is using some harder springs than the Tamiyas.
Old 03-11-2005, 05:02 AM   #623
Shop Owner

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via ICQ to nnick Send a message via MSN to nnick Send a message via Yahoo to nnick Send a message via Skype™ to nnick

Where can we get the rubberneck bumper?

Any photo?

Nick

The #1 source for all your electric needs www.rcring.eu

Enjoy RCing....
R/C Tech #82
IRT #123

Don't practice until you get it right. Practice until you can't get it wrong

Team Xray T4'17, Team Xray X10'18, TOP Racing Rebel
nnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 06:04 AM   #624
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by tonyv
Now correct me if I am wrong, but the middle ground between 2 and 3mm is 2.5mm. Seems to me like a fair compromise as it will work in most circumstances for most drivers...
I think that the opinion of some of the people on this thread (mostly the carpet/foam racers) is that there should be more than one kit available. The guys that race outside on rubber tires would get the multi-diff and a thinner chassis.... and the carpet guys would get two diffs and a thick chassis.

Corally is using this concept!
brianrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 06:31 AM   #625
Tech Regular

I see. Since this appears to be mostly a US issue you might want to send the suggestion to RC America.
Old 03-11-2005, 04:35 PM   #626
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by tonyv
I think most of the key points have already been brought up in the "chassis thickness" discussion. One comment I think is very funny however. The idea that a 2.5mm chassis would not be good.

True, at the Snowbirds the team had to rebuild their cars. There were two reasons for this. Juraj brought the first batch of production parts and wanted everyone to run those as there were some small changes made. Second at least Jilles and probably the majority of the team decided to run the 3mm chassis as with 450 people running foam tires on the same track for several days round the clock gives unbelievably high grip levels. Corally even brought a 4mm chassis for that very same reason.

But, mostly all of us run under more normal grip levels and quite often under low grip conditions. Even at larger events grip can be insufficient. Someone stated that the team does not run thin chassis like the 2.5mm so it cannot be good. Huh , at the Worlds we ran 2.2mm chassis on the Worlds prototype. Some of the A-finalists even ran 2mm chassis! Why? Because the track and the circumstances demanded it to get corner speed up. This was after the 12th scale Worlds had already laid some rubber down and on a sugar watered track. Similarly at the DHI cup our best runs were made with a 2.2mm chassis. Again, a big race on supposedly a high grip track. Both of these events are the reason there will be a chassis that is 2mm thick as an option.

Tony...I understand why you have to respond the way you do but its actually insulting. I race on carpet at the "Gate" in cleveland Ohio and we race on high bite carpet alot. It may not be Snowbirds traction but we have proven time and time again that the thicker chassis just works better on carpet...period. Its not just me...its your factory guys. They have been to our track for the annual halloween race, the indoor nationals and regular old 50-75 racer club races.

The first race or two after changing a layout and the stock chassis might be as good....the more we run the more the thick chassis is the answer. I have never said that the 2.5 mm chassis wont work...I just said that your own guys wont show up running it and I am sure that they are not just running the thick chassis for fun. I'll go back to the hard arms that xray wont talk about.....every team driver that I have seen has had them on their car.....but my car will have standard arms when I build it because xray has not released them. thats ok...just dont tell me it does not need it....because for my application, it needs it. It would be nice to have a kit put together that I did not have to upgrade right out of the box in order for it to be not just good but really good. Good thing for us, there is companies like BMI that make aftermarket chassis that are readily available....because if I have to go through what I went through to get the XRC chassis then I will run something else.

My comments were made about us carpet racers and there are alot of us....I could care less that guys ran 2.2 mm chassis at the worlds especially since nobody was in the A. Sorry for the rant...I am just tired of hearing how I dont need something when the team guys contradict that everytime they show up at a race with a car.

Last edited by Joneser; 03-11-2005 at 06:40 PM.
Joneser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 07:22 PM   #627
Tech Adept

Thats a pretty poor reply to Tony's comments, it has to be said!
Also been some pretty selfish comments before that too.

From whats been said in the last couple of pages, xray need to make about 500 versions maybe more, just so that there isnt someone out there whining that it wasnt custom build for there own personal needs!
Must admit i didnt know Corrally were doing 2 versions of the kit, but then thats just what Xray are (to a degree) offering, its impossible for them to offer a kit which suits absolutely all conditions perfectly without needing to touch a thing, so how do you expect Xray to deal with this?
Someone suggested putting a 2.5mm and a 3mm chassis in the same box, what a belter, good one that, just slap another $80 onto the price cos someone out there thinks its a great idea, dont mind the people who just want the latest Xray kit and wouldnt know the difference of 0.5mm if it smacked em round the head eh!

Im going to be running outdoor and indoor, i've ran the last 6 months with the XRC (got that and the FK at the same time, XRC first actually!) and ive not ran it with the standard chassis yet, and that was great, but indoors or outdoors, most people would be perfectly happy with whatever came with the kit, christ most wouldnt even give chassis thickness a thought, its a peice of CF, what more is there to it? Only the upper tier of driver would be able to notice the difference between 0.5mm and to them it could be very noticeable, but ultimately, and theres no 2 way about it, you cant please every single customer in the world!
If they release a 3mm, then people want 2.5mm, vice versa, some of you are even talking of buying over 3mm, so basically you wouldnt be happy with xrays 3mm chassis then anyway!

Its impossible to provide half a dozen chassis in 1 box, along with every possible hop-up conceivable that someone out there just might find handy, and then expect that price to be within everyones budget, you'll only end up with people complaining "why's xxxxxx in there, were paying an extra $xxxx for something im never going to use" but then some bloke from god knows where knows best so just to keep everyone happy they do this??

Yeah, im taking the p*ss, just as half the suggestions expecting Xray to have built the perfect car for there own use, lets remember the world expands outside the US for a moment ey guys, you've as much right to have a say in what you'd like to see, and at this moment in time, you've got your own version of the kit, with 2 diffs as apparently requested to your distributer, Do Europe have there own kit version? no. Asia? nope.... to cut things short, its just the US version, and the rest of the world's version (and still suprise suprise, some werent happy about that either).

Give them a break, they have to compromise, they want there customers to be happy with the kits, have good results, and influence non-xray owners to buy one after seeing others go, so why would they offer any customer something they didnt feel was the best option? It doesnt make sense to offer something they dont feel is the better option. Hop-ups are hop-ups, but when it comes to caster blocks, you dont get 6' ones, or 0' ones, because out of the box, the 3' ones have the best results for most circumstances.

Just remember, theres more than just you racing this car, it has to be made to suit as many people in kit standard setup as possible, it cant guarentee to perform perfectly on every single condition, no car can, and no car should be expected to, so try and look at the bigger picture rather than purely your own. Yeah, have your say, but if they feel option A is better than B, what dya do! If another car is better for you, then go get it if thats what you feel, but ultimately you cant please everyone and Xray has to try and cover as many bases and please as many as it possibly can do, and they feel the kit(s) they've made do just that!
PaulC2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 07:56 PM   #628
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to greencactus3

why not have a kit thats cheaper but has no chassis in it?
greencactus3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 08:08 PM   #629
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Joneser
Dont know how to describe it other than its wider than the stock, harder than the stock and it just works better. I have run weeks with a broken bumper brace without any other breakage. Kevin can be reached at [email protected]
Thanks Eric! My new email addy is [email protected]
The bumpers are made wider and from a "high density" crosslinked foam (last way longer)...
Kevin
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 08:23 PM   #630
Tech Master

how much do your bumpers run wannabee?

I emailed you a bit ago, but that must have been on your old addy
NVisible is offline   Reply With Quote