R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-03-2005, 07:43 PM   #481
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Huh, go figure...

So the battery strap is like the electonics and the tires...not included...

That kinda sucks... and I've heard from previous Xray owners that Xray hop ups aint exactly cheap, so I wonder how much that thing is gonna cost.

Looks cool though.
Old 03-03-2005, 07:45 PM   #482

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally posted by Darkseid
Huh, go figure...

So the battery strap is like the electonics and the tires...not included...

That kinda sucks... and I've heard from previous Xray owners that Xray hop ups aint exactly cheap, so I wonder how much that thing is gonna cost.

Looks cool though.
The 6-cell strap for the existing car is $20.
Speedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 07:50 PM   #483
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Well that aint bad...
Old 03-03-2005, 08:43 PM   #484
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by PaulC2K
Spares/hop-ups should be available when the kit is launched, those extra hop-up parts will still be there, and just cos you dont know the part number doesnt mean you cant phone your LHS and ask them to hold one back for you, as soon as the part number is announced, you could phone back and confirm the detail, still with or without a part number, you can still ask for these items to be reserved for you!

Theres no conspiracy where masses of people are refusing to tell just you, its everyone, however they'd probably realise just asking the modelshop to save them one would put them ahead of people sitting around waiting for a number before acting on it.
Paul....the hobbyshop is unable to get the part number and was not able to put it on the order with the cars. And this bothers me why....because of the history with xray. I love the car and have a ton of spares from my FK but diffs were impossible to get a hold of for a long time..in fact I had to lend them to sponsored guys. Therefore, I am not real confident that I will have a battery strap or the optional roll center adjusters anytime in the near future.

By the way...I did not mention any conspiracy against me....The xray forum has a bunch of questions unanswered such as part number for the strap, thickness of the chassis, and one that has gone ignored for some time....part numbers for the hard arms....oh yeah...those arms that all the team guys have been using for over a year dont exist....I almost forgot I am seeing things.
Joneser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 08:55 PM   #485
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Joneser
Paul....the hobbyshop is unable to get the part number and was not able to put it on the order with the cars. And this bothers me why....because of the history with xray. I love the car and have a ton of spares from my FK but diffs were impossible to get a hold of for a long time..in fact I had to lend them to sponsored guys. Therefore, I am not real confident that I will have a battery strap or the optional roll center adjusters anytime in the near future.

By the way...I did not mention any conspiracy against me....The xray forum has a bunch of questions unanswered such as part number for the strap, thickness of the chassis, and one that has gone ignored for some time....part numbers for the hard arms....oh yeah...those arms that all the team guys have been using for over a year dont exist....I almost forgot I am seeing things.
the optional rear roll center comes standard with the 05, I think you only need the multidiff and battery straps to complete the US kit versions.
Old 03-03-2005, 09:10 PM   #486
Tech Fanatic

Not sure if anyone mentioned this yet, but Mario announced that he will also release a Multi-diff for the T1FK. It's nice to know that the old bad-boy isn't forgotten.
kidDynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 09:59 PM   #487
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

With all this talk about parts not being included in the kit and it already being over $400us,
its no wonder people are already changing their mind to the new Yoke.
A couple of people I knew who already had pre-ordered the Xray are now switching.
I really don't see many problems,
but I do wish Xray was a little more forthcoming to answer all these issues instead of letting rumours fly around.
How hard is it to say:
"don't worry, parts will not be an issue"
"The parts shortage has been dealt with"
or even
"we are working on it"
Simple statement that will put a lot of people at ease.
However they are not, which makes you wonder.
I'm still getting one because I have never owned an Xray,
but you will se a "For Sale" post faster than anything if the parts issue comes up.
scoobydo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 10:36 PM   #488
Tech Adept

Joneser:
I wasnt trying to put words in your month, just a figure of speach really, that at the moment it seems like this information hasnt even been decided let alone to a small circle of people and there just hanging around waiting to announce it, there was a comment from Mario on the xforum which suggested that chances are all this is still even at this stage being worked on.
Chances are they have a part number, but not prices or the guarantee that these will be in such quantities to meet the demand.

Xray are left with 3 options:
* Hold the FK05 because half its new customer will want the bar
* Release the kit, and release a small amount of straps due to whatever reason.
* Release the kit, take the bad response for not having any straps available, but please most people who've got there new kit and can at least use it with tape till they have a strap.

Its not like were talking about a new car, but no bodyshells will fit it. It would seem like right now they dont have all the answers and are waiting themself to see what is possible. I'd agree it'd certainly help if they were clear on this matter, however it would be like admitting a weakness that they've not been able to fulfill requests. I dont know if they've ever said it would be available on launch, you can be sure that would be there intention though. Hopefully soon we'll get a list of the new items soon though, and a date to expect this to be released.

1 thing is clear though, Mario hasnt commented, though he's obviously a very busy chap, but Tony who's always available to help out, isnt commenting, clearly because he cant at this moment in time, they dont know themself.

Also, on the price issue, you guys have been stictched up by the USD being so weak the last 9 months, your market is ripe for picking for outsiders looking for a great deal, but when it comes to items made outside the USA, your getting hit, HARD.
Sadly theres nothing Mario can do about that, and the price hike doesnt really reflect on the kits high increase in price, more a case of them having to sell it at $400 in order to make something (this being the distributers and modelshops/hobbystores).
If they'd have included an *accessory* which lets be honest, it could quite easily be considered this, then they'd have had to add this to the cost, its either $20 on the kit cost, or on the accessory for those who want it. I dont think other kits include 2 methods do they? (thats a Q, not a comment, i dont know the answer tbh)
Theres lots of hop-ups for the car, there not included, only items required for operation are included really, i thought the roll-center mount was the only accessory, but i remembered the bulkheads no longer have a mount slot, so thats an essential item to the kit now.

Ive never ran with taped down cells, im not particluarly convinced by it, but i'll be trying it for a month or 2, ive gone from seeing nobody run with tape to 2 of my 3 mates now using it, and now myself too, and ive seen cells almost hanging out of cars, battery bars bent, but the car finishing etc, and known if a battery strap was there, it wouldnt be like that.
Like there cars, the Xray FK05 will be running with tape slots, and straps as an aftermarket optional item, im not convinced im going to like it, but im gonna give it a go.

Just remember, theres reasons for these actions, being more open might help them, but it could equally hurt them, when people like Tony come onto forums to answer questions, its then taken that they have to answer, sometimes they cant always help as they'd like to, Xray are one of the few manufacturers with a forum, and have there top guys answering questions put to them, thats very brave to come out and take on whatever comments put to them, there certainly no closed book, if there was information they could pass on, you can be sure that they would do just that. They felt confident enough to say the 21st should be the release date, expect them to do the same when they have the same confidence for there other items, theres no point in offering customers 'possibly xx/xx/xx' and then people fixate on that date as being a set time and then a failed promise.

Sorry for the long post,

PaulC2K
PaulC2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 10:42 PM   #489
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The way I see it.... if you have a problem with it, then don't buy it. If you start comparing this car to some "other" car coming out, then go buy some "other" car. This car isn't for whiners.

I can just see all the whiners are going to whine about the car won't handle blah blah blah when it's their own damn lack of tuning skills and then blame it on the car lack of battery brace!

There are a handful of new cars coming out and I don't see so much bitching and moaning in those threads.

Dom
Old 03-03-2005, 10:57 PM   #490
Tech Adept

incidently, just on the price issue, the UK kit, previously the top end model has retailed at around 340, this one however is confirmed at 265, its now as good as 3/4 of the price we've been paying since Xray started up, the modelshops arent making much on the kits compared to before, but now people can consider these kits as they would any other on the market, its affordable compared to other brands (meh, if you ignore Tamiya!)
So they've not just decided to hike kit prices up, they've been forced to, your now buying a kit for the same price we are, and ours has gone down significantly, yours has gone up significantly.

If you think things are bad, think were we've been, and yet your paying as much as we are now!

[edit]
Yeah, and its funny that the Yokomo (at least, last time i looked) doesnt have any photos yet, it might come without a battery strap too!

Nobody has to be happy that the battery strap isnt included, just accept it isnt, spring steel axles arent, as with many other items.
[/edit]
Old 03-04-2005, 12:29 AM   #491
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by Mario (on xray forum)
All new part lists will be posted very soon. Please wait a bit.

Yes, the graphite battery holder system will be available as option.
Thats taken from the FK'05 thread on the forum within the last hour, just a waiting game really. Still a few people that havent allowed the 'no battery strap included' info to sink in
Old 03-04-2005, 01:21 AM   #492
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to Merciless

Quote:
Originally posted by PaulC2K
incidently, just on the price issue, the UK kit, previously the top end model has retailed at around 340, this one however is confirmed at 265, its now as good as 3/4 of the price we've been paying since Xray started up, the modelshops arent making much on the kits compared to before, but now people can consider these kits as they would any other on the market, its affordable compared to other brands (meh, if you ignore Tamiya!)
So they've not just decided to hike kit prices up, they've been forced to, your now buying a kit for the same price we are, and ours has gone down significantly, yours has gone up significantly.

If you think things are bad, think were we've been, and yet your paying as much as we are now!

[edit]
Yeah, and its funny that the Yokomo (at least, last time i looked) doesnt have any photos yet, it might come without a battery strap too!

Nobody has to be happy that the battery strap isnt included, just accept it isnt, spring steel axles arent, as with many other items.
[/edit]
No No No !!

These kits retail at $369 in the States and on monday that was 206. So we still have the privilage of paying about 20% more than are AMERICAN friends.

Butit's all OK and fair susposedly because X-Ray even mailed me to saying that the world prices were now more inline with each other and that's why they've gone to the effort of trying to stop US based resellers selling outside of America !!

Last edited by Merciless; 03-04-2005 at 01:40 AM.
Merciless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 02:31 AM   #493
Tech Adept

Its $396.99, just to save confusion for people looking in (although theres places doing it at $369 if your quick to pre-order it at such locations doing this price) but yeah, its just over the 200 mark, however if you consider that the price, for the same kit to come to Mirage, they've had to pay Duty and VAT. Thats around 35 per 100, so its going to be in the same ballpark figure that the kits are sold at, which is what Mario would have wanted.
It is quite shocking though to think for 4 years we've been paying this high price, suddenly 3/4 of it has vanished, the americans are paying about 1/4 more, and only now are things on a fairly even scale.

I've no idea what i'll actually get the FK05 for, probably never will know the true cost really as im trading 2 kits in for this one, and after being told theres not much there for the shop to pocket, i cant imagine the 'mates-rates' discount would be much, instead i think they'll just be more reasonable with the pricing of my heaps of junk (H7 PCR Pro barely ran at all, and a RC10GTFT bought 2nd hand but never actually got it running before deciding nitro just wasnt for me) so 265 for the pair of them isnt too bad, get them off my hands, they've been sat in the same place since Sept so... why not.

Must be said though, and finally its happened, that if shops were to price things up better, then people would go back to when everyone would buy locally, with everyone having the internet and shops realising the potential of appealing to a world wide market, people have looked overseas for bargins that probably have always existed without us knowing it.
I'd still probably buy a considerable amount of gear from overseas, but until this price drop/worldwide adjustment, i'd be buying the kit overseas too, and while the shops wont make as much per kit, perhaps the fact that a much higher number of FK'05 kits in the UK will have been bought from a UK supplier surely means this is better for the shops than to have sold the odd one to someone none the wiser.
Finally a step in the right direction, will others follow in these footsteps though??
Old 03-04-2005, 03:33 AM   #494
Tech Regular

Well, well, are you guys having fun?

First of all, let's put things in perspective shall we? As little as 5-10 years ago you would not even have known a new car was coming until the release date was announced. Nowadays with the internet everyone knows everything worldwide in a couple of hours. It's hard for companies to keep control so things don't get out before they're good and ready.

Well guess what. This time we failed as the very first prototype we ran at a race was posted all over the internet within 3 weeks after the prototypes were sent to the team drivers. This is only two and a half months ago! XRay is making a HUGE effort to get this car to you all as quickly as possible because you asked for it so eloquently. BUT, as all of you are also so eager to point out there have to be kits for everyone, they have to be there yesterday, everything has to fit, there has to be an instruction manual without errors, and so on, and so on.

XRay agrees. But let's be realistic, all that takes time and a lot of effort. There is only so much that can be done in the time available and this means first things first. XRay decided to focus on finalizing the kit design, testing the latest changes, starting kit production including spares, writing the manual, preparing setup sheets, negotiating with the distributors and a host of other things.

I understand you would have liked to have the part numbers already (so would we), but what good is the battery strap if you don't have the kit? Given that the first race ready prototype did not surface until two and a half months ago XRay is doing the impossible getting the kit our by 21st of March. There is NO company in RC that I know of that could pull this of succesfully other than XRay...
Old 03-04-2005, 03:46 AM   #495
Tech Regular

On prices, I won't go into that at all. The prices you see are simply based on too many variables and without full knowledge of those any comparisons are useless and frankly unfair. There are major differences in taxes (VAT, Import), transportation costs, size of distributor orders, and many others that all influence the price for each country. And then we did not even discuss exchange rates.

The supply issues have to a large extent been addressed but don't expect miracles. Like with any other brand there will be the occasional shortage. Again this can be due to problems at your local LHS, the distributor or XRay itself. The latter is also being addressed through the Millenium Factory that is being built as we speak.

Some have indicated that communications aren't open or lacking. Well, the parts availability issue has in fact been communicated quite openly including the actions taken. There is a big story on the new Millenium Factory and its importance in this respect on the XRay website. There is also a letter from Juraj Hudy on the website with regards to the pricing and especially the reasons for the US price increase.

We have also communicated quite openly about the new car once the official announcement was made and even discussed some things that weren't to clear at that time yet (and boy does that result in discussions ).

I know there is allways room for improvement, but I don't think we are doing too shabby here. Off course you are free to critizise (in fact we welcome it as it helps us improve), but don't forget to look beyond that at the things we are doing right.