R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-15-2005, 02:12 PM   #4891
Tech Fanatic
 
Tornado_Racing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Anywhere there is racin'
Posts: 750
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

NEXUS..............

Here at PRS we are all about customer service. We will do what ever it takes to satisfy our customers with in reason. If you are having a problem with one of our products please do not hesitate to contact us with your issues. We will do any and all in our power to make you happy.

Please e-mail me directly with your name, phone number, and mailing address for replacements. [email protected]

Thanks to all who choose PRS for their racing gears needs.
__________________
Tony Moffre
PRS Customer Service

PRS - Hyperdrive - EA Motorsports - Corally USA - Parma/Faskolor - SMC - Killer Koncepts - MSA - Finishline - IRS - Lunsford - Trinity - Guarantee Graphix - RC4Less
Tornado_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 03:30 PM   #4892
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 7,661
Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado_Racing
NEXUS..............

Here at PRS we are all about customer service. We will do what ever it takes to satisfy our customers with in reason. If you are having a problem with one of our products please do not hesitate to contact us with your issues. We will do any and all in our power to make you happy.

Please e-mail me directly with your name, phone number, and mailing address for replacements. [email protected]

Thanks to all who choose PRS for their racing gears needs.
Tony,

Thanks for all the assistance. PRS customer service has been open awesome..

__________________
Serpent Racing * Speed Passion * Fantom Racing * Windy City Raceway
Nexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 03:39 PM   #4893
Tech Master
 
Rob Phillips's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Indianapolis / VA
Posts: 1,722
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Guy your car looked pretty fast this past weekend. I couldn't tell if the inconsistancies came from you or the setup I would like to wheel it some time. I ran a one way with my SD at HT and I was faster with it. I don't use brakes, so thats not the problem, but the inherent push that comes on power with an oneway is what keeps me away from it. Good luck this weekend, and don't beat up on Rumple too bad.
__________________
Team Durango | TrakPower | DE Racing | Futaba | Restricted Paint Worx

Velocity R/C Magazine - vrcmag.com
Rob Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 04:38 PM   #4894
Tech Elite
 
teamgp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Hampton/VA Beach USA
Posts: 2,089
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Phillips
Guy your car looked pretty fast this past weekend. I couldn't tell if the inconsistancies came from you or the setup I would like to wheel it some time. I ran a one way with my SD at HT and I was faster with it. I don't use brakes, so thats not the problem, but the inherent push that comes on power with an oneway is what keeps me away from it. Good luck this weekend, and don't beat up on Rumple too bad.
Definitely me. At first it was the nerves while thinking about all the big names in attendance. Then it became the pride as I over-drove the car too much before settling down during each run. The push problem was solved with gobs of caster, in-board toe-out, and very little front droop though. It doesn't push even with a low downforce body like the G6. However, I prefer the Mazda 6 because it inspires more confidence and feels like your fingers are actually connected to the steering rods.
__________________
Guy Hood
Sponsored by: Team XRAY / Team RC America / RB Products USA
/ Twister Tires USA / Maxy's Mods & Fuel / Parma PSE / Zubaks
Un-sponsored Shoutout: NexusRacing.com
*** 301 Raceway is my home away from Home ***
teamgp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 09:36 AM   #4895
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 32
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamgp
Definitely me. At first it was the nerves while thinking about all the big names in attendance. Then it became the pride as I over-drove the car too much before settling down during each run. The push problem was solved with gobs of caster, in-board toe-out, and very little front droop though. It doesn't push even with a low downforce body like the G6. However, I prefer the Mazda 6 because it inspires more confidence and feels like your fingers are actually connected to the steering rods.
where do you find most of your set up information?

Last edited by AJ Goin; 12-16-2005 at 10:45 AM.
AJ Goin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 10:46 AM   #4896
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 72
Default

http://home.tiscali.be/be067749/58/

This is where i get my setup info.
sitting duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 12:41 PM   #4897
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 286
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Well, well, I finally get a chance to have a look at this forum again and...

Frankly I think those of you that discard Teamgp's "project" so easily are losing out on some very interesting findings. But then that's off course up to you. I have found his info very usefull. Moreover I would like to point out that if you want to be better than the rest it is sometimes a good idea to "think out of the box". If you simply do what everyone else is doing you will do ok, sure. But then the only way to win is to be the best driver there. However it is also possible to win by having the best car on the track. And how do you do that? Exactly, by running a better and therefore different setup.

During testing Jilles and I allways try different things. We don't just take a "good" setup and refine it, we also make major changes and start from there. Those of you that have some knowledge of mathematical optimization problems will know that many problems are non-linear and as a result have many localized optimums. To find the global optimum you have to start your search from many different starting points, find the best refinement for each and then find the best in that set of optimal refinements. Frankly I am glad that Teamgp does this for us as this is the type of project many of us would never even consider. Also don't forget, if something does NOT work it is also usefull info.

Finally, it has been implied (reading between the lines) that Teamgp (Guy) does not have sufficient experience to be acknowledged as a setup expert. Well, if he's not a setup expert then I don't know who is. The reason he is a moderator on the XRay forum is because he knows what he is talking about. Some would say that I AM a setup expert (most would argue ) and I for one DO acknowledge Teamgp as one. It is why I endorsed his signing. More importantly Juraj and Mario also see Teamgp as an asset or they would not have signed him. I am sure most of you will agree that Juraj knows more about RC cars and RC car setup than each one of us...
__________________
Tony Vredenberg
tonyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 12:44 PM   #4898
Tech Elite
 
teamgp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Hampton/VA Beach USA
Posts: 2,089
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Goin
where do you find most of your set up information?
Here are a few of my sources. However, you still have to use the ol noggin to put it all together when understanding how to design a base setup to start with and the chassis dynamics once you're underway and dialing it in.

1. Books

* Hudy Setup Book
* XXX Main
* Engineer to win by Carroll Smith (formula one ideas) - You won't use half the book as it deals with scale parts (brakes, etc.) & materials, but the second half is great for setup.
* Chassis Engineering by Herb Adams (NASCAR/TRANSAM ideas) - The entire book is great, including a section on how to design a base setup from scratch and how to design your own chassis

2. People - I'm always asking questions and observing, even when others think I'm not

3. Last but not least, the track - The owners of our LHS might as well have put me on the payroll. I'm testing or practicing every week and you can learn a lot with a simple short practice session or two at lunch every week.
__________________
Guy Hood
Sponsored by: Team XRAY / Team RC America / RB Products USA
/ Twister Tires USA / Maxy's Mods & Fuel / Parma PSE / Zubaks
Un-sponsored Shoutout: NexusRacing.com
*** 301 Raceway is my home away from Home ***
teamgp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 01:05 PM   #4899
Tech Elite
 
teamgp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Hampton/VA Beach USA
Posts: 2,089
Default

Edited...

Thanks for the compliment big T.

Excuse my original response, as I normally don't take compliments very well.
__________________
Guy Hood
Sponsored by: Team XRAY / Team RC America / RB Products USA
/ Twister Tires USA / Maxy's Mods & Fuel / Parma PSE / Zubaks
Un-sponsored Shoutout: NexusRacing.com
*** 301 Raceway is my home away from Home ***

Last edited by teamgp; 12-16-2005 at 01:44 PM.
teamgp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 12:45 AM   #4900
Tech Elite
 
BigDogRacing's Avatar
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 2,955
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to BigDogRacing
Default

Tony, I appreciate your POV on the subject. There's obviously no point in arguing since you and Mario feel that way. It surprises me that you say you have read many books and done a lot of testing with Jilles, yet there are a number of things Guy writes that are incorrect. It's not worth my time to go back and read all 500 pages that he's written, but if I remember correctly, a lot of it made me think "he'll find out that isn't right" or "it doesn't work that way about 90% of the time". No matter...

So anyway, since you are here I'm curious- how is Jilles testing with the nitro foams working? What about the nitro foams with a oneway and the Mazda 6 body? Has he worn the paint off of his 38 lb springs yet? Oh wait, surely Jilles isn't running his car 4 spring rates harder than everyone else, wasn't he the one helping tune the Xray team cars in Florida by putting the softest springs they had, pulling bulkhead screws out and dremelling the chassis' to give more flex? There's no doubt in my mind that an awesome racer and tuner like Jilles tests "out of the box", but I would venture to guess that when he makes 2 spring rate changes and his car gets slower each time, he doesn't keep going that direction. That would be not only "out of the box", but "out of the whole damn warehouse".

Your paragraph about linear and non-linear optimization was very eloquently written. I'm sure you lost a few people there- although I don't see the point in using 50 cent phrases to describe a nickel's worth of information. Fact is, you basically rewrote what I said earlier- that tuning changes may have more or less effect on the performance under different variables and most importantly that tuning is not just a matter of a bunch of indiviual changes, but a combination of them all where each parameter compliments the others. A tuning "zen" if you will- where a car and it's components are working together so well that it usually doesn't even look very fast ont he track, and doesn't feel all that fast to the driver, but the laptimes tell it all... ahhhhh

Well, if the professionals say dump the double pinks and diff, I guess I better get to digging out my nitro boxes.... gotta go!! LOL

BTW- I hope you guys can take some ribbing like men- if not, there's no point in having a forum.
BigDogRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 03:01 AM   #4901
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 286
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Yes, you got the Zen right and then missed the whole point of that Zen. If moving to harder springs makes the car slower, is it then the harder springs, OR would it be possible to build a faster setup by starting to change other parameters taking harder springs as the base? That's what I meant by taking different starting points and trying to find an optimal setup from there.

As to Jilles, no he doesn't test with harder springs very often, but every now and then he does, just to confirm that he cannot find a better setup that way. Sofar he has not. That does not mean there is no way to do that, what it means is that we did not find it. Maybe Teamgp will (or has). That's not what interest me in his posts. It is the information on what each change did to the car under what circumstances. And his thoughts on why the car behaved that way, sometimes completely differently from what you had expected .

It wasn't too long ago that in rubber tyre racing all the top drivers were convinced you had to run a front one-way possibly in combination with a one-way pulley to be fast. First people started to remove the one-way pulley, and nowadays more often then not we run a spool. Since there are obviously some basic truths that allways work I assume the top drivers are on the wrong road here? If one-ways were fastest before, they must be fastest now right? Well, apparantly not. Not in the least because the cars have changed. What worked on an FK'04 will not necessarily work well on an FK'05.

Don't get me wrong, I do see your point and agree with it to some extent. The problem with books however is allways that they focus on the basics that hold true under most circumstances. In many cases these basics are not sufficient to find a good setup. Do we help less experienced drivers more by telling them the basics, or helping them think through what the car is doing, what the effect of a certain change was and why it had this effect? True, a more ambitious proposition, but one that I personally feel has much more value as it explains the "dark art" of setting up a car. For the basics, read the books...

BTW, no harm in having some good discussions and taking differing points of view. That's where progress starts
__________________
Tony Vredenberg
tonyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 05:53 AM   #4902
Tech Elite
 
dawgmeat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 2,504
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyv
Yes, you got the Zen right and then missed the whole point of that Zen. If moving to harder springs makes the car slower, is it then the harder springs, OR would it be possible to build a faster setup by starting to change other parameters taking harder springs as the base? That's what I meant by taking different starting points and trying to find an optimal setup from there.

As to Jilles, no he doesn't test with harder springs very often, but every now and then he does, just to confirm that he cannot find a better setup that way. Sofar he has not. That does not mean there is no way to do that, what it means is that we did not find it. Maybe Teamgp will (or has). That's not what interest me in his posts. It is the information on what each change did to the car under what circumstances. And his thoughts on why the car behaved that way, sometimes completely differently from what you had expected .

It wasn't too long ago that in rubber tyre racing all the top drivers were convinced you had to run a front one-way possibly in combination with a one-way pulley to be fast. First people started to remove the one-way pulley, and nowadays more often then not we run a spool. Since there are obviously some basic truths that allways work I assume the top drivers are on the wrong road here? If one-ways were fastest before, they must be fastest now right? Well, apparantly not. Not in the least because the cars have changed. What worked on an FK'04 will not necessarily work well on an FK'05.

Don't get me wrong, I do see your point and agree with it to some extent. The problem with books however is allways that they focus on the basics that hold true under most circumstances. In many cases these basics are not sufficient to find a good setup. Do we help less experienced drivers more by telling them the basics, or helping them think through what the car is doing, what the effect of a certain change was and why it had this effect? True, a more ambitious proposition, but one that I personally feel has much more value as it explains the "dark art" of setting up a car. For the basics, read the books...

BTW, no harm in having some good discussions and taking differing points of view. That's where progress starts
To make a long story short TeamGP help you with showing you whay doesn't work
dawgmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 10:44 AM   #4903
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 286
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

No, what works, what doesn't, under what circumstances and why.
__________________
Tony Vredenberg
tonyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 11:00 AM   #4904
Tech Master
 
kerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 1,157
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

come on guys, move on. all information helps one way or another, tonyv is right, teamgp enjoys what he does and puts the time in to help others thats what xray finds valuable in him. i like to think we are adults, lets try not to sling mud at each other. if you dont agree with whats being said, step up and contribute, dont slander. its guys like tony, mario, teamgp and others that make this and other xray threads part of a great racing package. you guys get my vote keep up the good work
kerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 08:47 PM   #4905
Tech Master
 
Pyramid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: ID
Posts: 1,945
Default

They guys seen things from different point of view, expert and novice but not necesserely they are expert and novice respectively. So both are right and assets to Xray! just dont get along which they dont have to as once (correct me if I`m wrong) got their car for free while the other paid for themselves. The bad thing is: if once they feel not like belong to the team, they will walk out from the brand they have been loyal to. I`ve seen this (too many times) from reseller point of view which mean only the manufacturer/distributor that will lose at the end.
Pyramid is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WTB: NIB Xray T1FK05 & Xray Teflon coated aluminum Shock Body Adam.A Australia Wanted to Buy 4 01-02-2007 03:30 PM
WTB: Xray T1FK05 & Xray Teflon coated aluminum Shock Body Adam.A R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 1 12-30-2006 03:26 PM
Xray T1FK05 $100.00 Charles R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 2 04-25-2006 10:51 AM
F/S: Xray T1FK05 ewippler R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 12 12-09-2005 04:03 PM
WTB: Xray T1FK05 ewippler R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 4 05-06-2005 06:40 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 10:43 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net