R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-03-2005, 01:27 PM   #4426
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara

Thank you guys for all the info..........you guys just saved me $100.
Since I don't have the car yet.......I cannot tell, but I find it HARD to believe the quality of XRAY (or may be Serpent) will have bad quality shocks...

If a little oil on the shaft, hard to rebuild shocks are the ppl problem........then I don't have problem with those shocks.

About stocking parts...I am running carpet foam, so I need the front diff and 3mm chassis (btw, I have the last stormer kits...) what options and spare parts that most commonly needed beside the P-dub/Parma bumper without middle screw? Front ARMS and C-hub...? If I want the alum C-hub...what degree is good for indoor carpet foam?

Thanks all....

p.s.....Oh yeah, not a tape person, but those Xray battery strap are not easy to find......or does any place sell Xray parts anymore..?
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 01:34 PM   #4427
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie Solara
About stocking parts...I am running carpet foam (btw, I have the last stormer kits...) what options and spare parts that most commonly needed beside the P-dub/Parma bumper without middle screw?

Thanks all....
You'll find recommended options for foam/carpet racing in the XRAY forum FAQ thread.
Un-sponsored Shoutout: NexusRacing.com
*** 301 Raceway is my home away from Home ***
teamgp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 01:35 PM   #4428
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamgp
You'll find recommended options for foam/carpet racing in the XRAY forum FAQ thread.
Don't even know they have their owm forum......WOW. thanks.
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 01:41 PM   #4429
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (89%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pezz
10. repeat step nine until all the shocks are the same. make sure the shocks are all 70.3-4mm, and your dialed
Where do you measure the shocks? Thanks.
www.FinishLineRaceway.com
dmayhew25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 02:02 PM   #4430
Tech Addict
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to acyrier

Is anybody running 64pitch gears in the 05? I'm working on getting one. I've had a bmi tc3 for a while now and looking to upgrade. I have a full set of 64p pinions and don't really want to use 48. I havn't had any problems running the 64's on the tc3. Hoping it's ok onthe x-ray. IF somebody IS using 64pitch, waht brand of spurs are ya getting?

Thanks.
www.fantomracing.com - www.discountrcstore.com
acyrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 02:03 PM   #4431
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to fastzach

Is there a good online hobbyshop that I can get Xray parts at for my FK05? I can't find the parts I need anywhere and the prices on the Xray Site are outrageous.
fastzach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 02:14 PM   #4432
Tech Regular

Default roll out calculator

Me and another guy made this up today for rollout. I always see rollout numbers using the metric system but I always use standard. It's just in plain old excel but you can adjust the spur size along with the car's drive ration to adjust for any car.
team orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 02:17 PM   #4433
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to L.Fairtrace

Quote:
Originally Posted by acyrier
Is anybody running 64pitch gears in the 05? I'm working on getting one. I've had a bmi tc3 for a while now and looking to upgrade. I have a full set of 64p pinions and don't really want to use 48. I havn't had any problems running the 64's on the tc3. Hoping it's ok onthe x-ray. IF somebody IS using 64pitch, waht brand of spurs are ya getting?

Thanks.

Get the PRS spur for it. Mostly everyone I know that runs cars that will accept them run PRS spurs. For the xray get a 116 its the biggest you want to run on the car.

180 and 360 Raceway. Best on the East Coast. Take your pick
L.Fairtrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 02:17 PM   #4434
Tech Regular

whoops, i guess this cant attach excel files.
team orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 02:38 PM   #4435
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 91 (99%+)

Try www.KThobbies.com

that where I get my parts from.
Old 11-03-2005, 03:47 PM   #4436
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie Solara
New owner of the FK05 (still waiting from Stormerhobbies)........what was the problem of the Xray shocks..? Aren't they the same as the Serpent shocks..? Or they are different....cause I have cars like 710 to 950R and their shocks are pretty solid....not 1 single problem.

If I am going to use the RCC from 960....I need 4 FRONT RCC shock or 4 REAR RCC shock..? Thanks
Howard, glad to see you're getting an Xray. Like these guys said, there's nothing wrong with the Xray shocks. Call Shane or Mike at Intense Raceway to see if they have the battery strap. Last week I believe I saw one on the rack. I know they have the lower front FOAM shock tower. If you get the alum. chubs, get the Tamale ones... bullet proof. You'll also find the best collection of set-ups on Xray's site. They're modifiable, saveable and on-line to share.

My shock building tips:
1. tap the plastic ball caps a little (they're super tight if you don't) before threading shafting into cap.
2. fill shock halfway some oil.
3. work piston up and down into each of the clicking groove of the shock body while openning and closing holes to make sure all bubbles escape.
4. top off shock with oil and make sure piston is bottomed out.
5. float diaphram on oil and slowly push it down until it sits flush on shock body (access oil will be slowly flowing out).
6. drop in foam and carefully screw TOP cap all the way down (at this point the shock has no compression).
7. flip shock upside down and crack open BOTTOM cap (make sure you don't un-do it too much).
8. hold your ride height tool (10mm) or place an Xacto blade standing up against the shaft, lightly resting on cap.
9. slowly, slowly push the shaft down until it hits the blade height or 10mm on the ride height gauge (at this point access oil will be slowly leaking out).
10. lock the BOTTOM cap making sure that the shaft isn't pushing out (otherwise it will suck air back into the shock).

Wipe and You're done! I know it seems like a lot, but after a few re-builds, you can do all four shocks in like 15min or less. ALL shocks in perfect Dialation to each other.

I personally have great luck using the Serpent bladders with foam inserts.
kidDynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 03:59 PM   #4437
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Acyreir - Get the PRS spurs, you won't be dissapionted. I order mine from teameamotorsports.com. I use the 114t because I run the 2.0 mm chassis. They are like $6 a piece I think. I ordered 5 but I'm still using the first one after 4 weekends of practice and racing.

fastzach - I order my X-ray parts from stormerhobbies.com, they usually have everything in stock. If not try speedtechrc.com, they also have good stock.
Old 11-03-2005, 04:01 PM   #4438
Tech Master

If anyone is interested, or know anyone who wants an Xray, I have one New In Box, seal is opened to take photos of the contents. Check it out:

Xray FK05 - RC America Special
rc_bam226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 05:22 PM   #4439

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbckevin
There is nothing wrong with the stock Xray shocks. I have run them for 3 months with no leaks and no oil changes. I am an expert driver and have no problems with them. Some people on here like to spend money and bling on the fk05, so they bought the serpent shocks and had to modify the car to make them fit.

Enjoy your Xray, dont waste your money on Serpent shocks. Get the multidiff (unless you run carpet, then just a reg. diff) and a battery strap and enjoy your sedan.
Hurray! An expert driver to save the day!!!

What's that I hear? You don't need to modify the car to make the Serpent shocks fit? You only need to replace the Serpent shock ends with the Xray ones? The Serpent shocks are practically equal in dimensions to the Xray shocks, and bolt right on?

Interesting....
Speedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 06:35 PM   #4440
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 91 (99%+)

My response (before your smart a$$ answer) was geared towards not having to spend money on the car to make it work. The person was asking a basic question, and I gave an honest answer without being rude , like you were,

hmmmmmmmmmmm.....you are a moderator ?