Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-28-2005, 04:18 PM   #406
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)
Default Re: Re: Re: FK05

Quote:
Originally posted by Anders Myrberg
What do you mean by "suspension is a bit outdated for a racing car"?
What would you have different and why?
I think out of all the current and soon to be release TC, Xray has the best suspension/drivetrain setup. This is one of the main reasons why I am now with Xray. Just all others cars looked like a joke
Old 02-28-2005, 05:54 PM   #407

I also think the Xray suspension is excellent. It is incredibly precise, and fairly durable. It's tunable, and when you make an adjustment, you can feel the changes in the car.

If only they would come up with a new shock design! The adjustable pistons are great, but my shocks don't last longer than a couple weeks before they get so much air in them they need to be rebuilt.

Josh
Speedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 06:04 PM   #408
Tech Champion

Default Any updates on the release.

Just getting abit annoyed that the Yokomo Belt car might get release sooner that the 05.
Old 02-28-2005, 06:30 PM   #409
Tech Regular

New Yoke sooner than FK05? I am under the impression the FK 05 is due in March which is this month....
sonneteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 06:54 PM   #410
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by sonneteer
New Yoke sooner than FK05? I am under the impression the FK 05 is due in March which is this month....
Hope so, coz the new Yoke is now confirmed to be released by 25 March. I just wish that Xray gives us a release date.
Old 02-28-2005, 07:16 PM   #411
Tech Elite

Yeah, Xray shocks SUCK!!! Every high performance company is using solid aluminium shocks EXCEPT Xray. Those plastic shocks are week and soft. They are no where near as precise as HPI or TRF shocks. I wish they would come out with a design that combines the easy build of HPI with the precision of Tamiya.
ChadCapece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 08:22 PM   #412
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

you can buy aluminum shock bodies for the xray if its causing you that much grief. I have had zero problems with them and are the best ive used. Guess you cant please everyone
NVisible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 08:26 PM   #413
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to greencactus3

i thought plastic was smoother and better.
greencactus3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 08:38 PM   #414
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Isaac
Anyone know if the new car uses the same bearing as the factory kit 04?
From what I hear a lot of parts are compatiable the major changes were the main & top deck & bulk heads. Speaking with tech support @ rcamerica the word is mid march for the release date.
2017 U.S.World Nitro Cup Nov 29th - Dec 3rd
U.S.Open Fuel Championship Returning soon
GMartinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 08:40 PM   #415

Plastic may be smoother, but it is weaker than aluminum. I broke a shock body the other day and they are a PITA to replace, as you have to rebuild the whole shock.

I don't know what it is about the Xray shocks...everything else on the car is top notch quality, but the shocks are either not as high qualiy as the rest of the car, poorly designed, or both.

They take forever to build correctly, and even when you finish often times they will have air in them. On top of this they begin to deteriorate immediately, which I think is due to leaking.

I had the privilege of building a set of Tamiya shocks when I brielfy owned a 414M, and they were superb. Considering the cost of a set of Tamiya shocks is right around $60, it's possible that Xray's shocks are a cost cutting measure on an already expensive car.

Josh
Old 02-28-2005, 08:44 PM   #416
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Speedo
Plastic may be smoother, but it is weaker than aluminum. I broke a shock body the other day and they are a PITA to replace, as you have to rebuild the whole shock.

I don't know what it is about the Xray shocks...everything else on the car is top notch quality, but the shocks are either not as high qualiy as the rest of the car, poorly designed, or both.

They take forever to build correctly, and even when you finish often times they will have air in them. On top of this they begin to deteriorate immediately, which I think is due to leaking.

I had the privilege of building a set of Tamiya shocks when I brielfy owned a 414M, and they were superb. Considering the cost of a set of Tamiya shocks is right around $60, it's possible that Xray's shocks are a cost cutting measure on an already expensive car.

Josh
Price can make a lot of sense.
I've have not had any issue's since I have the aluminum shock bodys. But it seems that the choice is the plastic version
2017 U.S.World Nitro Cup Nov 29th - Dec 3rd
U.S.Open Fuel Championship Returning soon
GMartinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 09:05 PM   #417
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to BigDogRacing

The plastic bodies are smoother. They don't hard anodize the aluminum bodies so they cause some drag.

As far as the shocks being hard to build or leaking, I'm lost. They are pretty easy to build actuallyand I've had shocks that didn't leak for months. Maybe you guys scarred the shafts or nicked the orings or something, but I have been quite pleased with mine.
BigDogRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 09:51 PM   #418
Tech Adept

I've been running my alum shocks for over 5 months, and i only changed them over the weekend for the sake of it, and when i did so, the oil was only slighty dis-coloured, but there wasnt an ounce of air in there, each shock was perfectly even, and i still have no idea why everyone seems to whinge and moan about them!

As for them being tricky to build, im sorry but re-building them wasnt exactly tricky either, took about 2-3 attempts at sealing them and job was done, not once did i seal them leaving air in there, and i only re-built the 4 shocks about 7 times in total (2 were spot on first time out, one was fine on 2nd attempt, the other took 3 attempts).
The Alum ones definately stay spot on for a heck of a lot longer than the plastic ones i used to use, if the plastic ones are so bad and you dont want to re-build them every other meeting or whatever, then buy the alum ones, there a delight to build, and im not really that convinced that there not as smooth as the plastic ones.
Maybe they are, so decide which is prefered: rebuilding, near perminantly spot-on, or high priced Tamiya shocks.

Tamiya's shocks are the best on the market, 99% of people would agree with that, but its laughable that the Pro4 shocks are better, chears for that one!
PaulC2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 11:23 PM   #419

Maybe you guys got a good set...I know I've built them according to the instructions, by putting the bladder in the cap and assembling like TC3/4 shocks, along with a couple other methods, and I have never been pleased with them.

I think the fact that you hear a lot of people complain about the Xray shocks but nobody complaing about HPI/Tamiya shocks is a pretty good testament to the fact that they aren't perfect.

Josh
Old 03-01-2005, 03:09 AM   #420
Tech Adept

Default Re: Re: Re: FK05

Quote:
Originally posted by Anders Myrberg
What do you mean by "suspension is a bit outdated for a racing car"?
What would you have different and why?
It's big and could be lighter but precision is ok , dampers need improvement.
moonman is offline   Reply With Quote