R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-27-2005, 08:35 AM   #391
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Re: FK05

Quote:
Originally posted by Ill Factor
Ok in all honesty, do you think the 415 is a better choice for me. I strictly run asphalt.
I saw your post on the 415 forum and I didn't want to post my comment there, cause the guys hang out on 415 are a bit sensative.

I'm currently running a 415 as my interim car while I'm waiting on the FK05. I haven't ran on asphalt yet, but I can tell you the 415 requires a LOT more hopups to make it work, and a lot more "tricks" to do. One thing I'm not thrilled about is it is a PITA to work on the 415, where it was real easy to work on an XRAY.

Asphalt season is coming up soon and I can tell you I'm looking more forward to the new Xray then working on a Tamiya car! Don't get me wrong, 415 is nice but my FK was a lot easier to work on.

It would be real nice when the FK05 comes in and I can do a comparison. Even though I've stepped onto the dark side for the moment with the Tamiya, I'm still thru and thru an XRAY guy.

Dom
Old 02-27-2005, 08:43 AM   #392
Tech Adept

Default Re: FK05

Quote:
Originally posted by Ill Factor
Ok in all honesty, do you think the 415 is a better choice for me. I strictly run asphalt.
I know the 415 is handling great. That's why all belt TC's are using the same battery motor layout on their new cars now. I cant say anything about the FK05 but I'm sure it will be very good.

Xray is a higher quality car but I think they should have updated the suspension (which in my opinion is a bit outdated for a racing car) before they rushed out the FK05.
moonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 08:49 AM   #393
Tech Adept

Default Re: Re: Re: FK05

Quote:
Originally posted by tonyv
Well, I am not sure I agree totally with that. We suffered at the Worlds as we did not have a good starting setup with a spool. We had prepared to run a one-way based on the warm-up, but the layout was changed in such a way that a spool was required instead... We started about 2 seconds of the pace and while we got faster so did everybody else and finished 2 seconds of the pace as well. Nevertheless we had 6 cars in the top 20 (more than any other team), but unfortunately none made it into the top 10.

But then the Worlds is not the only race... At the Euros earlier in 2004 we took an easy pole position showing the FK04's speed on asphalt.

How well the FK05 will do is something we will have to wait and see, but personally I think it will match and surpass the FK04 on asphalt too. We've worked hard to keep the things that were good on the FK04 and improved the car where we could benefitting from the changed layout.

I think you have been testing with the FK05.
Don't you think it has better steering than the 04 ?
moonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 10:09 AM   #394
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Thanks Dom. Yeah i really don't have to want to work my ass off to make the thing work. Dom are you running the 415 or 415 MS? I can't imagine having to buy more stuff to make a $460 car work well.

Will there be asphalt setups to found for the FK05? I didn't find any on there site for the FK1

Last edited by Ill Factor; 02-27-2005 at 11:53 AM.
Ill Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 01:21 PM   #395
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

moonman: It is not so easy to call it "better", it's different. But since you asked a yes/no question the answer is yes. I do feel the steering has improved or more to the point, corner speeds are higher with the FK05. At least this is what I've found during testing.

Ill Factor: Indeed we are still working on asphalt setups. Right now conditions aren't optimal for outdoor racing yet for most of the team drivers. Moreover most still have one or two big indoor events coming up and are obviously preparing for those. I will probably start preparing for the outdoor season in a week or two, so some base setups for rubber tyres on asphalt should be available some time in April (hopefully early April if we get some decend weather ).
Old 02-27-2005, 01:29 PM   #396
Tech Regular

BTW there are loads of asphalt setups for the FK04. Some are available in the downloads section of the XRay website, but most can be found on http://www.mytsn.com . Look under the EVO2 list of setups or alternatively search for the setups from on of the team drivers.

I have several setups from 2004 posted (search for "vredenberg"), Jilles has several including the 2004 Euros setup that he TQ'ed with (search for "groskamp"). There are also great setups from Joel and Andreas Myrberg ("myrberg"), Greg Hodapp ("hodapp") and many others.
Old 02-27-2005, 06:22 PM   #397
Tech Master

Any of you Xray guys know what the biggest 64 pitch spur gear the T1FK05 will hold?
I know it will be smaller than the 04 since the 05 spur is right on the chassis.
scoobydo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 06:29 PM   #398
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by scoobydo
Any of you Xray guys know what the biggest 64 pitch spur gear the T1FK05 will hold?
I know it will be smaller than the 04 since the 05 spur is right on the chassis.
116T is about the same overall diameter as the 87T 48p gear used on the car
BrianJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 06:45 PM   #399
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by BrianJ
116T is about the same overall diameter as the 87T 48p gear used on the car
Sweet, I'll build mine using 64 pitch then.
scoobydo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 10:02 AM   #400
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Anyone know if the new car uses the same bearing as the factory kit 04?
Old 02-28-2005, 10:05 AM   #401
Tech Addict

I'm not sure about the lay shaft bearings but all the other ones are the same.
Eric Gebhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 11:49 AM   #402
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by tonyv
moonman: It is not so easy to call it "better", it's different. But since you asked a yes/no question the answer is yes. I do feel the steering has improved or more to the point, corner speeds are higher with the FK05. At least this is what I've found during testing.

Ill Factor: Indeed we are still working on asphalt setups. Right now conditions aren't optimal for outdoor racing yet for most of the team drivers. Moreover most still have one or two big indoor events coming up and are obviously preparing for those. I will probably start preparing for the outdoor season in a week or two, so some base setups for rubber tyres on asphalt should be available some time in April (hopefully early April if we get some decend weather ).
"Decent weather" in The Netherlands?! LOL! Hmm, maybe in Scheveningen!
kaizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 01:31 PM   #403
Tech Addict

Can you also SAY it (scheveningen) ?!
Old 02-28-2005, 03:12 PM   #404
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by Tekin
Can you also SAY it (scheveningen) ?!
I was told by my Dutch friends that I pronounced it okay...for an American.

Say..Skray-va-nin-ga.
kaizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 03:53 PM   #405
Tech Master

Default Re: Re: FK05

Quote:
Originally posted by moonman
I know the 415 is handling great. That's why all belt TC's are using the same battery motor layout on their new cars now. I cant say anything about the FK05 but I'm sure it will be very good.

Xray is a higher quality car but I think they should have updated the suspension (which in my opinion is a bit outdated for a racing car) before they rushed out the FK05.

What do you mean by "suspension is a bit outdated for a racing car"?
What would you have different and why?
Anders Myrberg is offline   Reply With Quote