Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

Xray T1FK05

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2005, 10:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Unless XRAY is working on a completely different design for thier shocks,there is no reason to run anything but the stock shocks.I have ran my FK04 and 05 for over a year now with one shock failure due to a rear end collision.Obviously the metal shock body aren't even worth getting being they discontinued these.People can put whatever shocks they want to on thier XRAY,but the stock ones get me enough wins to know putting a Tamiya,serpent,associated,etc shock on will not make my life easier.If anything the Xray shocks have made tuning easier.
Old 10-12-2005, 10:54 AM
Tech Fanatic

Well it seems that some people have good enough luck with the stock shocks, and some don't. I fall into the don't side I tracked down nip metal shock bodies on E-bay, and we shall see if they make a difference or not. I think the design is the problem IMO. Using plastic and having a inverted bleeding system is not a great idea. I think we all know what happens with molded plastic parts, they are never perfect, so that is my theory on why some work and some don't, I have 2 good ones and 2 bad ones that always leak no matter what I do. Oh and don't get me started on using aluminium caps/rings on plastic

-B
Old 10-12-2005, 12:35 PM
Tech Addict

I love my FK05, but putting the Tamiya shocks on it made a big difference. I have plenty of skuffs on my lid to prove that I am not a factory level driver, but they were well worth the money. I got a good deal on them so it made sense to change.
Old 10-12-2005, 01:46 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by rraden
I believe the statements that these shocks are very smooth but I'm struggling with the price/performance ratio. At $100 per set do they improve the handling of the car that much? I'd be curious to see if anyone's lap times get better using these shocks over the standard ones or even the Tamiya ones at half the price. Let's see some tangible data.
My lap times have improved where I race ... whether this is down to the shocks I am not sure. It does make the maintenance of my car a heck of a lot easier and they look good to. The price doesn't really bother to me and I feel they are better so its a done deal. I just didn't like the old xray ones or the old serpent ones which were the same. So I have replaced with these on my 950R and 2 FK05's.

I would also guess that team drivers and xray sponsored guys would not be allowed to run other manufacturers parts on their cars without getting a bollocking from their employers

I guess people will choose what they feel comfortable with ... I love these shocks and I feel the money justified... they fit right on without any modding using the same hardware as xray use to attach so just brilliant. I did not go to Tamiya as I didn't want to change the way the shocks were fitted etc etc ....so before the serpent I ran xray and not tamiya's.... its just what you feel comfortable with.

I am happy and that prob is worth 0.5 sec in itself

L8r and enjoy!
Old 10-12-2005, 02:10 PM
Tech Elite

Here's an update on my Foam/Carpet One-way Setup project for those interested:

http://www.teamxray.com/xforum/viewt...?p=25267#25267
Old 10-12-2005, 09:24 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Formula1fan
I love my FK05, but putting the Tamiya shocks on it made a big difference. I have plenty of skuffs on my lid to prove that I am not a factory level driver, but they were well worth the money. I got a good deal on them so it made sense to change.
Hey Formula1fan, do you need to do any mods to the shock ends to fit on the xray? Can xray springs be used with the tamiya shocks? I assume those are tamiya trf shocks that your using. Thanks.
Old 10-12-2005, 09:56 PM
Tech Regular

Default Pdub

Can somebody please post the web site for Pdub

Thx
Old 10-12-2005, 09:59 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Charles
Can somebody please post the web site for Pdub

Thx
http://www.pdubracing.com
Old 10-12-2005, 10:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

www.pdubracing.com
Old 10-12-2005, 10:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

you beat me to it howard...

dial up sucks!!!
Old 10-12-2005, 10:08 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by dal bains
you beat me to it howard...

dial up sucks!!!
holly crap it took you 4 min ?????
Old 10-12-2005, 10:10 PM
Tech Regular

Thx HH, U R fast.

What fans are you guys using in your '05 cars? Does anybody have experience with the much more fans? Are these good fans? Have you used the cool can fans? ARE THEY WORTH THE MONEY?
Old 10-12-2005, 10:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

AAAHHHHHHH the power of the H

will be trying the shocks soon. I really have no problems with the stock shocks. just like to try different things.
the best shocks I have found are the Mugen MTX series shocks. self bleeding, never leak, hard anoed. always a set in my box. cost is a little less too.
Old 10-12-2005, 10:41 PM
Tech Elite

I hate the stock shocks so much that I would almost prefer running my car with no shocks at all to building Xray's shocks. Are the Xray pistons a direct fit in the new Serpent shocks, and/or are the Serpent pistons identical to the Xray ones?
Old 10-12-2005, 10:43 PM
Tech Elite

Tim, how close in size are the Mugen shocks to the Xray shocks? Did you have to do anything different to mount them?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.