Like Tree1Likes

Xray T1FK05

Old 05-26-2005, 12:51 AM
  #2431  
Tech Adept
 
Airwide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Posts: 167
Default

Originally Posted by V12
Hmm, I donīt understand what you mean with hubs mushrooming out. Could you explain please? Sorry Iīm new to the FK05. Iīm just in the building process of mine. I opened the diff already and replaced the thrustbearing and relubed everything. Also preped the chassis. But I have to say Iīm a little disappointed. Everybody says the Xray has the best buildquality of all cars. But I found some issues with mine I didnīt have with my Tamiyas before.
I'm curious. What issues have you found?

Regards,
Arvid
Airwide is offline  
Old 05-26-2005, 01:15 AM
  #2432  
V12
Tech Elite
iTrader: (1)
 
V12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 2,668
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

One of the holes for the left rear bulkhead had not been countersunk.
One bearing wonīt turn very well, seems defective. Another bearing turns but not so well as the other bearings, seems packed with grease.
Some of the steel balls for the camber links are not very smooth, one is so tight you canīt use it.
Belts donīt run centered on the pulleys. Front belt is wobbling around from one side to the other and back. Rear belt is running always on left side rubbing on the belt guides of the pulley. Donīt think this is good for effiency.
Maybe this has to doo with the way the belts are packaged in a small plastic bag. Especially the front belt was very twisted. Tried running in the transmission with a motor on low voltage for half an hour but nothing changed.
V12 is offline  
Old 05-26-2005, 01:36 AM
  #2433  
Tech Master
 
centax error!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: " Burn Rubber, Not your wallet! "
Posts: 1,135
Default

Tony, Tnx. wonder i didn't thought of that


Originally Posted by tonyv
I suggest you have a look at the FAQ or Tips&Tricks section on the XRAYT1 forum on the XRay website. This question is answered there: http://www.teamxray.com/teamxray/pro...877240be9b688a .
centax error! is offline  
Old 05-26-2005, 01:49 AM
  #2434  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (10)
 
Roger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 2,322
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by KMW
Gary has an Xray now...
Whats up KMW. Hit me up.
Roger is offline  
Old 05-26-2005, 05:51 AM
  #2435  
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Oshawa, Ontario
Posts: 444
Default

Originally Posted by V12
Hmm, I donīt understand what you mean with hubs mushrooming out. Could you explain please? Sorry Iīm new to the FK05. Iīm just in the building process of mine. I opened the diff already and replaced the thrustbearing and relubed everything. Also preped the chassis. But I have to say Iīm a little disappointed. Everybody says the Xray has the best buildquality of all cars. But I found some issues with mine I didnīt have with my Tamiyas before.
V12,

The dogbones (Front only) will rub on the inside edge of the hub axle steadily expanding the diameter of the end of the axle hub which the bearings must pass, making it next to impossible to remove the bearings without destroying the axle hub. The spring steel axle hubs are much more resistant to this happening, though it does happen a little.
MartynD is offline  
Old 05-26-2005, 06:28 AM
  #2436  
V12
Tech Elite
iTrader: (1)
 
V12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 2,668
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

MartynD
Thanks for the explanation. Got it now.
V12 is offline  
Old 05-26-2005, 09:44 AM
  #2437  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (3)
 
kewdawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Sneederville, USA
Posts: 3,322
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by V12
Everybody says the Xray has the best build quality of all cars. But I found some issues with mine
I feel the same way. I really like the Xray cars, but they are far from flawless (or the best) when it comes to build quality. Although, fairly easy to assemble, the cars definitely have some hiccups. Shall we discuss building the shocks?
kewdawg is offline  
Old 05-26-2005, 09:55 AM
  #2438  
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Oshawa, Ontario
Posts: 444
Default

Personally I found the shocks easier to build than AE's, though not as easy as TRF's.

As far as build quality goes... I don't have the experience to compare much past AE and XRay, but the XRay is far and above the better between those two.
MartynD is offline  
Old 05-26-2005, 10:34 AM
  #2439  
Tech Master
iTrader: (1)
 
scoobydo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Bay Area San Jose
Posts: 1,505
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Thats one of the reasons I was looking forward to building my 05, cause everybody said the quality was unmatched.
Tell you the truth, my Pro4 was smoother to build and had less modding to do to get parts to fit right or smooth.
However, it is a great car.
scoobydo is offline  
Old 05-26-2005, 10:46 AM
  #2440  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (3)
 
kewdawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Sneederville, USA
Posts: 3,322
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by MartynD
Personally I found the shocks easier to build than AE's, though not as easy as TRF's.

As far as build quality goes... I don't have the experience to compare much past AE and XRay, but the XRay is far and above the better between those two.
You're really comparing apples and oranges. But still - even Associated touring car shocks aren't as bad as Xray's. Recently, I spent well over 20 mins. and way too much shock oil, trying to get the Xray shocks built correctly. It wouldn't be an issue, if, these companies would drill "bleeder" holes in the shock caps. "Bleeder" holes make shock building a breeze. I had to do this for my Kyosho V-One-RRR, just to get them to function correctly and not leak. Last year, on the V-One-RR Evo, I used Hpi bleeder caps. Maybe, a lot of Xray and Associated car owners, don't mind spending way too much time and shock oil trying to build shocks at the track OR home for that matter. I dread having to re-build these type of shocks. I don't know... maybe, its something I'm missing?
kewdawg is offline  
Old 05-26-2005, 10:49 AM
  #2441  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (3)
 
kewdawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Sneederville, USA
Posts: 3,322
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by scoobydo
Tell you the truth, my Pro4 was smoother to build and had less modding to do to get parts to fit right or smooth.
Exactly! I didn't want to sound biased, but I totally agree.
kewdawg is offline  
Old 05-26-2005, 11:43 AM
  #2442  
Tech Regular
 
Qwiglee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ventura, CA
Posts: 313
Default

Originally Posted by kewdawg
You're really comparing apples and oranges. But still - even Associated touring car shocks aren't as bad as Xray's. Recently, I spent well over 20 mins. and way too much shock oil, trying to get the Xray shocks built correctly. It wouldn't be an issue, if, these companies would drill "bleeder" holes in the shock caps. "Bleeder" holes make shock building a breeze. I had to do this for my Kyosho V-One-RRR, just to get them to function correctly and not leak. Last year, on the V-One-RR Evo, I used Hpi bleeder caps. Maybe, a lot of Xray and Associated car owners, don't mind spending way too much time and shock oil trying to build shocks at the track OR home for that matter. I dread having to re-build these type of shocks. I don't know... maybe, its something I'm missing?
Once I figured out the proper way to bleed Xray shocks I realized that they are great. After they are filled with oil you need to screw the top cap on and then flip them over and loosen the bottom cap. Move the piston down a couple times and you can see the bubbles of air popping as they are released from around the seal. You can keep pushing the piston up and down and the rebound will gradually decrease so you can use this to set how much rebound you want. Once you know the proper method they are really easy to build and are actually one of the best shocks out there.
Qwiglee is offline  
Old 05-26-2005, 11:57 AM
  #2443  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (3)
 
kewdawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Sneederville, USA
Posts: 3,322
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Qwiglee
Once I figured out the proper way to bleed Xray shocks I realized that they are great. After they are filled with oil you need to screw the top cap on and then flip them over and loosen the bottom cap. Move the piston down a couple times and you can see the bubbles of air popping as they are released from around the seal. You can keep pushing the piston up and down and the rebound will gradually decrease so you can use this to set how much rebound you want. Once you know the proper method they are really easy to build and are actually one of the best shocks out there.
Yeah... that method is far easier than than the directions in the manual and I had to spend tons of time trying to do it "by the book", before I figured out the "upside down" method. Still messy, though.
kewdawg is offline  
Old 05-26-2005, 02:53 PM
  #2444  
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: N. Cali
Posts: 854
Default

Bah...my evo 4 shocks were sooo easy to build and are super smooth...er, I think I might just get another set of TRF shocks for my xray!!! Hehe...

ROGER!!! WAT UP MY MAN!
loosenut is offline  
Old 05-26-2005, 03:38 PM
  #2445  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (10)
 
Roger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 2,322
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by loosenut
Bah...my evo 4 shocks were sooo easy to build and are super smooth...er, I think I might just get another set of TRF shocks for my xray!!! Hehe...

ROGER!!! WAT UP MY MAN!
Wuz up loosenut !! Back into racing electric. I just picked up an xray 05 two weeks ago. I just finished it and I should be able to race it very very soon. It's good to be back and have some fun.
Roger is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright Đ 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.