R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-15-2005, 08:25 PM   #1801
Tech Adept

Default Aluminum Front Hubs/Axles

Just a bit of feedback after running the car for a few days. I STRONGLY suggest upgrading to the spring steel front hubs/axle things. The stock ones are not very strong and I have worn mine out already. They started to chatter in the corners and when I looked at them closely, they were all flared out on the inside where the dogbone is attached. I had to destroy the old axles to get them out of the bearings to replace them. I would consider the spring steel units to be a mandatory upgrade.
RobertV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 08:47 PM   #1802
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

same thing happend to me on my FK.
theisgroup suggested just filing down the edge of the axle until you can slip the bearing over the end. You can also adjust your radio to eliminate this problem until you upgrade to the spring steel axles
NVisible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 08:57 PM   #1803
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default spring steel components ...

great input from ya'll i'm running mine for the first time this weekend but i'm not sure how good she'll be ... wasn't able to get sway bars but i am considering making my own, wonder if anyone had a setup for the tamiya america track, my home track was built that same way to help out some locals in the reedy race, i will be running a spool but wondering about the other adjustments.
thanks for any help given.
Old 04-15-2005, 10:07 PM   #1804
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Re: Carbide thrust bearings

Quote:
Originally posted by ccm399
Anyone know where I can get the 309072 carbide thrust bearing assembly? Either an online hobby shop or someone willing to part with an extra they might have.

Maybe I should ask if they are even out yet. I have looked at stormer and they are out of stock. Or I should say "on order".

Any info would be great.

Thanks in advance. Chris
The ones for the Corally RDX and the Lost work as well, the RDS ones are carbide.
HarshGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 10:10 PM   #1805
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Re: Aluminum Front Hubs/Axles

Quote:
Originally posted by RobertV
Just a bit of feedback after running the car for a few days. I STRONGLY suggest upgrading to the spring steel front hubs/axle things. The stock ones are not very strong and I have worn mine out already. They started to chatter in the corners and when I looked at them closely, they were all flared out on the inside where the dogbone is attached. I had to destroy the old axles to get them out of the bearings to replace them. I would consider the spring steel units to be a mandatory upgrade.
...yea they were a mess!!! ...On another note the multidiff in oneway mode ROCKS ...the car was amazing

Last edited by HarshGuy; 04-15-2005 at 10:18 PM.
HarshGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 04:25 AM   #1806
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by kyle "hitawall"
my car has a lot of off power steering. i'm running the set up that came with the car. would going to stiffer springs all away around help this or does anybody have any other suggestions.
Does the car slide and or flick out when going into corners? If you are running rubber tyres do they overheat because of this? If not try and get used to it, you will go faster.

If not, post your setup and I may be able to help some more.
dontfeelcold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 08:16 AM   #1807
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by NVisible
same thing happend to me on my FK.
theisgroup suggested just filing down the edge of the axle until you can slip the bearing over the end. You can also adjust your radio to eliminate this problem until you upgrade to the spring steel axles
To help minimize your axles from mushrooming, you can try using a dremel with a sanding bit and sanding the inner-edge inside the axle creating a knife-edge. This will help minimize the incidence of the drive shaft pushing into the axle in a collision. I tried this with my old FK04 and it worked really well. As for switching to the spring-steel units - a great investment.
duckman996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 09:11 AM   #1808
Tech Champion

Default Re: Aluminum Front Hubs/Axles

Quote:
Originally posted by RobertV
TOASTY!!!!!!

What time are we leaving in the morning? It takes close to 3 hours (I think) Get that car crackin' cause it's going to be a fun year. Catch ya later.
Old 04-16-2005, 09:28 AM   #1809
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Does the car slide and or flick out when going into corners? If you are running rubber tyres do they overheat because of this? If not try and get used to it, you will go faster.
last night i tried running light blues in the front and the car was alot better. but it was cool out. the real test will be a day race because thats when the car got real loose. i am running the set up that came withe the car
Old 04-16-2005, 01:55 PM   #1810
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by duckman996
As for switching to the spring-steel units - a great investment.
just want to make sure I get the rigth one, does all of the spring steel axle made by Xray fits on the O5? If not can someone post the item #

LMK I'm getting one ASAP!

CE-Xray05
centax error! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 02:05 PM   #1811
Tech Addict

The part number is 305315.
Eric Gebhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 04:13 PM   #1812
Tech Master

rceric, thanks! your da maaan
Old 04-16-2005, 06:40 PM   #1813
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by kyle "hitawall"
last night i tried running light blues in the front and the car was alot better. but it was cool out. the real test will be a day race because thats when the car got real loose. i am running the set up that came withe the car
Are you running rubber tyres? Sounds like overheating to me. Try removing the posts at the front of the car that go between the top and bottom deck.
dontfeelcold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 06:47 PM   #1814
Tech Master

just curious how would removing the post on the front effect handling? more flex?
Old 04-16-2005, 06:59 PM   #1815
Tech Addict

Yes, removing the post will allow the chassis to flex more.
Eric Gebhard is offline   Reply With Quote