R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-10-2012, 08:20 AM   #1
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default The Rally Car Thread

What are my choices for 1/10 electric rally cars these days? I'm a little out of the loop- With a full-time job and 2 kids, I don't really have the time to dedicate to full-blown off road racing.

I'm thinking a rally car might be a good way to exercise my RC demons.

Way back when I built and raced a TC3 with the rally conversion
Old 04-10-2012, 08:28 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I bought a Tamiya DF03 RA... can't tell you how good it is because it's still sitting in a box ... but I just found out that the Roadrunners will be starting a Rally class 1st and 3rd Sundays during there off road program...

So that's given me intensive to finally build the car...

I also recently found this thread for the DF03ra....

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...-pics-too.html
Old 04-10-2012, 08:32 AM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightfoot View Post
I bought a Tamiya DF03 RA... can't tell you how good it is because it's still sitting in a box ... but I just found out that the Roadrunners will be starting a Rally class 1st and 3rd Sundays during there off road program...

So that's given me intensive to finally build the car...

I also recently found this thread for the DF03ra....

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...-pics-too.html
+1

The DF03RA is the best of the choices out there right now. Plenty of parts support and decently rugged.

www.trackstarrc.com ~ www.facebook.com/TrackStarRC ~ Home of the 2x's Stock Nationals Champion TS-Gold & TS-Black tire sauce, TS-1+ lubricants, TS-Precision bearings, XRG Xtreme Racing Grease, Scale Auto Engineering, ElevenTech, WRD2, Carbon 12, Stiff Products
Racecrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:52 PM   #4
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)

Take a look at the rally conversion they did at Ultimate RC. It looked pretty good and actually really low cost. The car is a converted Drift star from nitrorcx, but the videos showed it handling a fullsize offroad track pretty well.
Old 04-11-2012, 02:19 AM   #5
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

tamiya is bringing out a limited release high level rally chassis soon
79 mk1 Sand Scorcher, 09 Buggy Champ, TB01 Lancer Evo 7, TL01 Lancer Evo 6, TA02 Castrol Celica, TA02SW Taisan Porsche, TA02W Castrol Supra, TA03F Starion drifter, M06pro Gemini coupe, Tamiya Dyna Storm 5.5t, Stadium Blitzer, Bear Hawk, Baja FAV, Egress!
redzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 04:49 AM   #6
Tech Elite

The DF03RA is a good choice or the Yokomo CGM drift car (converted to rallycar) are both good choices since they are shaftdriven to take the abuse of offroading.
Old 04-11-2012, 05:40 AM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Check out the scale rc rally thread in the electric offroad section. Btw, thunder tiger sparrow hawk is another top pick.
Old 04-11-2012, 05:50 AM   #8
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to k_bojar Send a message via AIM to k_bojar

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcdrvr2 View Post
Take a look at the rally conversion they did at Ultimate RC. It looked pretty good and actually really low cost. The car is a converted Drift star from nitrorcx, but the videos showed it handling a fullsize offroad track pretty well.
do you have a link to that conversion?

actually any TC will work with some 'massaging' of the suspension...hell the czech guys are using xray T1R (or T2R) chassis for rallying and making them work VERY well

another TC3 can normally be picked up fairly cheap, and with spares...and the 200mm rally-specific parts AE released are still floating around ebay I'm using a TC3 for rally myself, but am thinking about the tamiya DF-03Ra
Old 04-11-2012, 08:06 AM   #9
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Something to watch for in the coming months, looks like Tamiya will be bringing out a new rally chassis, the XV-01. you can read more of the details here: http://kentech.blogs.se/2012/04/11/t...ases-13486389/
Jato Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:31 AM   #10
Tech Adept

Thanks guys. Looking at a TC3 rally from a forum member.

Now I just have to convince my friends to jump on-board.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:05 AM   #11
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Had an old TC3 laying around so I made it rally. Tried to find rally conversion parts here on the 'Bay and couldn't find the front suspension arms for 200mm conversion. So I decided to keep everything 190mm.

All I did was put longer shocks, a TC3 rally bumper, a rally body, and rally tires. The thing is a blast to play with.

If you're looking for a cheap somewhat scale looking rally body, go to www.R2hobbies.com I got a decent Citroen rally lookalike for $15 shipped. Only thing, instead of saying "Redbull" it says "Rodbull" and instead of saying "Citroen" it says "Citron". If you compare the price with a body that has the proper decals, you can see where the extra money is going to (licensing).
YR4Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:55 AM   #12
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by YR4Dude View Post
If you're looking for a cheap somewhat scale looking rally body, go to www.R2hobbies.com I got a decent Citroen rally lookalike for $15 shipped. Only thing, instead of saying "Redbull" it says "Rodbull" and instead of saying "Citroen" it says "Citron". If you compare the price with a body that has the proper decals, you can see where the extra money is going to (licensing).
Thanks for the tip, gonga-deal. Too bad it's only 190mm. I will have to search that site for a 200mm body.
Old 04-13-2012, 01:48 AM   #13
Tech Elite

I think there is very little that compares to the DF03 RA chassis. Tamiya has come a long way with their rally chassies since the TA01 (or even earlier if you want to count from the 959 Porsche). Prices are now around 100$ ex HK so a strong competitor even with the s/h market, and that includes some really beautiful bodies. Not enough money.

One special mention I am very particular to is the MR4TC Rally from Yokomo. I expect it would be pretty similar to the TC3 since back then their chassies were difficult to tell apart. It is however a heavy, very complicated chassis ( fully enclosed belt drive) and difficult to keep on the road if parts need replacing as almost everything (save some plastics) is bespoke. When it runs however it is probably better that the Tamiya offerings, has way longer suspension travel and ground clearance, soft suspension and spiked tires. Price was about twice that for a contemporary Tamiya (TA02) if I remember correctly.

The best upgrade to any car is some driver skill.
niznai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 05:13 PM   #14
Tech Rookie

Thumbs up Just Got My Rally Car

Just Got My Rally Car Its Epic Its A Tamiya TT-01 Super Quick What Would You Recommend That I Do To It? What Shocks What Wheels What Tyres Can I Get A Link? UK!!!! Thank For The Help!
Old 04-14-2012, 09:25 PM   #15
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by niznai View Post
I think there is very little that compares to the DF03 RA chassis. Tamiya has come a long way with their rally chassies since the TA01 (or even earlier if you want to count from the 959 Porsche). Prices are now around 100$ ex HK so a strong competitor even with the s/h market, and that includes some really beautiful bodies. Not enough money.

One special mention I am very particular to is the MR4TC Rally from Yokomo. I expect it would be pretty similar to the TC3 since back then their chassies were difficult to tell apart. It is however a heavy, very complicated chassis ( fully enclosed belt drive) and difficult to keep on the road if parts need replacing as almost everything (save some plastics) is bespoke. When it runs however it is probably better that the Tamiya offerings, has way longer suspension travel and ground clearance, soft suspension and spiked tires. Price was about twice that for a contemporary Tamiya (TA02) if I remember correctly.
Had an MR4TC to run TC back in the day. It ran great but....the center gear contantly wore down like crazy. I had the optional aluminum center gear. After burning through two of those gears ($28/ea) in less than six months, I gave it the heave ho.

To be honest. the Tamiya DF03 offroader is good. I have one (Dark Impact). However the DF03Ra...ehhh. The difference between the rally and the offroader is that the rally. because it needs to have a longer wheel base, has swept back drive axles, a la HPI RS4 Pro 1.

Really for rally, if you can find a TC3 cheap, which there are many, its easier to work with and handles much better. Eventhough its been discontinued a long time ago, there's still plenty of parts for it. Its also able to use many parts from the TC4.
YR4Dude is offline   Reply With Quote