Wiki Posts
Search

Schuur Speed Motors

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 09:11 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gdcopbdcop
Hi Ryan, my name is Rich.....i will be driving the yellow/orange schumacher...cant miss it......
If you run at Speedworld, chances are we may have met. I used to run there alot. Either way, see you Sunday, Rich.

Ryan
Old 05-07-2012, 10:44 AM
Tech Regular

Yesterday was my first raceday with the 17.5. I'm pleased with the results. The first thing I noticed, is that I'm not getting passed on the straight anymore. I had the same power as any of the fastest guys. I qualified 7th out of about 20 cars, and finished 5th in the A main. That's my best showing up here at Norcal, and I've only been back to onroad since mid last year.

I think with some fine tuning on my suspension, I have the ponies to compete now. I ended at 3.77 FDR, and 38° timing.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by R Doyel
Yesterday was my first raceday with the 17.5. I'm pleased with the results. The first thing I noticed, is that I'm not getting passed on the straight anymore. I had the same power as any of the fastest guys. I qualified 7th out of about 20 cars, and finished 5th in the A main. That's my best showing up here at Norcal, and I've only been back to onroad since mid last year.

I think with some fine tuning on my suspension, I have the ponies to compete now. I ended at 3.77 FDR, and 38° timing.
I'm curious how your temps were and what alternatives you tried during the day ( gear vs timing, etc ). I'm kind of surprised you didn't end up with more gear. Did you feel you had good punch and good top end too ?

Jake D.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:11 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I raced this motor yesterday and had it geared at 3.8fdr in 17.5 blinky and it was average so i went to a 3.6 fdr and it definately liked that it shaved .7 of a second on my lap times so that was huge and the temps were at 150f so im happy with this motor thus far
Old 05-07-2012, 12:24 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Magnet Top
I'm curious how your temps were and what alternatives you tried during the day ( gear vs timing, etc ). I'm kind of surprised you didn't end up with more gear. Did you feel you had good punch and good top end too ?

Jake D.
I hear ya, I'm not quite finished figuring the gearing yet. I'll walk you through why/what I did.
I started at the 3.86/38°. I had a temp of about 115° after 3-4 minutes. I maxed out the timing and the temp rose to about 135-140. During my first qualifier, I lost a pinion gear but was on TQ pace at the time. Without another gear of the same size and the shop not having one, I went up a tooth. When I did that, I backed the timing back down to 38 to be on the safe side. I ran the next qualifier, and temped at 140°. I was on a slower pace in the second qual, but I think the track was a bit slower. I knocked it back one degree for the main, as I've heard not to let motors get above 140° in 17.5. In the main, the infield punch seemed adequate, but was a bit slow on the straight.

This was only the second time out with this car, so I was working with my setup quite a bit, as well. I wanted to get the motor, and the suspension close enough to get used to the layout, and have a good time. I am going to focus more on the motor the next time out, and hopefully find its REAL sweet spot.
Old 05-07-2012, 02:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I hear ya, I'm not quite finished figuring the gearing yet. I'll walk you through why/what I did.
I started at the 3.86/38°. I had a temp of about 115° after 3-4 minutes. I maxed out the timing and the temp rose to about 135-140. During my first qualifier, I lost a pinion gear but was on TQ pace at the time. Without another gear of the same size and the shop not having one, I went up a tooth. When I did that, I backed the timing back down to 38 to be on the safe side. I ran the next qualifier, and temped at 140°. I was on a slower pace in the second qual, but I think the track was a bit slower. I knocked it back one degree for the main, as I've heard not to let motors get above 140° in 17.5. In the main, the infield punch seemed adequate, but was a bit slow on the straight.

This was only the second time out with this car, so I was working with my setup quite a bit, as well. I wanted to get the motor, and the suspension close enough to get used to the layout, and have a good time. I am going to focus more on the motor the next time out, and hopefully find its REAL sweet spot.
150 degrees farenheit does not hurt this motor ive done it many times
Old 05-07-2012, 04:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

For all those attending the Reedy Race I will be there supporting.

One thing that I'd like to know is with the different gearing mentioned above what timing did you use. I think this will help us better understand the gearing. Last piece is what ESC are you using.

Last year's Reedy I qualified fourth and ran gearing of 3.65 and did not use full timing.

I look forward to meeting and working with all of you.
Old 05-07-2012, 04:48 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by rocketron

One thing that I'd like to know is with the different gearing mentioned above what timing did you use. I think this will help us better understand the gearing. Last piece is what ESC are you using.

Last year's Reedy I qualified fourth and ran gearing of 3.65 and did not use full timing.

hey ron, i tested your motor yesterday at speedworld, we set the timing at max, and the gearing at 3.67, just like you said. the motor was slower than another brand, but it only got up to 115 degrees. should i have used more gear?
Old 05-07-2012, 05:28 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by rocketron

Thanks Ron, I look forward to meeting you, as well.

Right now I'm using the Speed Passion GT 2.0. I'm at 37°. I won't be able to test anymore until the weekend before the Reedy. I'll share my results, then.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tazfam2
I race at leisure hours were the asphalt nat's are going to be what would be a good fdr for an xray t3 2012 There is a 225 straight involved. I ran it at 90/49 and it came off at under 100 after six minutes with 30 degrees of timing any help would be appreciate
Got my 17.5 down to a rocket and cant get the temps over 108. Went up 2 teeth to 90/52 And everyone needs to know where to get the motor. Now I really need help get the 13.5 I just got to do the same. Any one have a fdr for and xray 2012 on the same track with an over 200 ft straight thanks in advance.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I hear ya, I'm not quite finished figuring the gearing yet. I'll walk you through why/what I did.....
cool, thanks for explaining, makes good sense, and a good approach too ( fun ! ).

Got my 17.5 down to a rocket and cant get the temps over 108. Went up 2 teeth to 90/52 And everyone needs to know where to get the motor. Now I really need help get the 13.5 I just got to do the same. Any one have a fdr for and xray 2012 on the same track with an over 200 ft straight thanks in advance.
Yesterday I ran twice ( two packs ) on a parking lot track that had roughly a 200 foot straight with my Schuurspeed 13.5 at 39 degrees timing and 4.31 FDR ( 102 / 45 on a T3'12 ). Car had good power and temped at 125 ish on a cool day. I think more gear and a tick less timing would have been better on this fast flowing layout. As many are finding 38 degrees may be close to the sweet spot but IMHO its way too soon to make that a rule.

oh yeah, Tekin RS Pro was the ESC.

Jake D.
Old 05-08-2012, 05:10 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Using a tekin pro on the 17.5 and a speed passion gt 2.0 on the 13.5 just need the right fdr on the 13.5
Old 05-08-2012, 03:57 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by gdcopbdcop
hey ron, i tested your motor yesterday at speedworld, we set the timing at max, and the gearing at 3.67, just like you said. the motor was slower than another brand, but it only got up to 115 degrees. should i have used more gear?
From your description it sounds like a little more gear would help. If I remember that is a pretty big track and if your car is carrying good corner speed - YES - go up a pinion. When you get close small changes do a lot.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:44 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Anyone got any more close ups of the stator front and the magnet? Sensor assy? Anyone taken a gauss reading for the two rotors? Quite interested to try one of these
Old 05-21-2012, 01:50 PM
Tech Elite

Quick update for Reedy Race. Was able to run myself at NorCal Hobbies yesterday. With only a few runs on the track we made good progress on gearing and most important timing settings.

I would like to suggest to racers that FULL TIMING is not always the optimum for speed. This was again proved yesterday and allowed a couple of the racers to reduce fade and have there best times.

Will be at the track during Reedy to assist all the SchuurSpeed racers and anyone that would like help no matter what motor.

Got to meet some of you who have support SchuurSpeed too yesterday RDOYLE being one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.