R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-07-2012, 04:15 PM   #1
Tech Initiate

Default What does it take to get sponsorships?

Im sort of a new rc racer and i own alot of decent cars and equipment. I was wondering what you have to do or what to compete in to gain sponsorships. Any advice is helpfull!!
rc10god is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 04:23 PM   #2
Tech Regular

Practice, practice and practice. Be gentle to others on the track and try to win

There are not so many 'full sponsored' drivers (the so called pro's), most 'sponsored drivers' get discount on parts or may test new stuff. It's a hobby for 99% of the people.

Oh yeah, and have some talent.
Old 04-07-2012, 06:46 PM   #3
Tech Master

I would suggest that having a good attitude towards your racing and fellow racers goes a long way, rather than just race results. I know some great guys that are never going to win world championships, but still get sponsored as they are approachable, and willing to share help and advice regarding the equipment they use.
Old 04-07-2012, 06:54 PM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingman2 View Post
I would suggest that having a good attitude towards your racing and fellow racers goes a long way, rather than just race results. I know some great guys that are never going to win world championships, but still get sponsored as they are approachable, and willing to share help and advice regarding the equipment they use.
Used to be a sponsored RC and full size car driver years ago and its like a full time job.
Getting into the A main in big events helps.

Understand that you are representing the company that sponsors you.
Most sponsors will contant you directly.

Wingman2 brings up some very good points.
Mr RCTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 06:58 PM   #5
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc10god View Post
Im sort of a new rc racer and i own alot of decent cars and equipment. I was wondering what you have to do or what to compete in to gain sponsorships. Any advice is helpfull!!
Why do you want to be sponsored?
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:02 PM   #6
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Being sponsored closes more doors than it opens.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:08 PM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
Being sponsored closes more doors than it opens.
I have to agree. Nothing like having to use something because of a sponsorship contract.

Visit my Youtube channel for HD R/C videos. http://www.youtube.com/user/DHCross1
CR0SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:40 PM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

All you have to do is ask
Old 04-08-2012, 07:18 AM   #9
Tech Initiate

i want to be sponsored because i love rc and there would be nothing better than having it as my full time job. see the world, hang out with cool people, and build and race cars!!
rc10god is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 07:31 AM   #10
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Quote:
i want to be sponsored because i love rc and there would be nothing better than having it as my full time job. see the world, hang out with cool people, and build and race cars!!
Sounds like all the right reasons. What you are looking for is long odds. Much like becoming a professional athlete. Good luck.
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 10:14 AM   #11
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

I got sponsored so I could pick up chicks.
Old 04-08-2012, 11:07 AM   #12
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Lessen

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiltskin View Post
I got sponsored so I could pick up chicks.
How did that work out for ya?
Old 04-08-2012, 11:16 AM   #13
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lessen View Post
How did that work out for ya?
Not too good

At least for me. Fortunately (or unfortunately depending on your viewpoint) none of them lasted very long.

If you want to actually get paid to do this, you need to win big races or get some sort of engineering degree and design stuff for companies.

Just want free stuff, make a big A main every now and then and represent your company well.

Want a 50/50 so you can look cool, just ask nicely. At least I got some free hats and a T-shirt
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 02:33 PM   #14
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
That's not being sponsored though, most sponsorship deals are just discounts on equipment. Got a friend who has just changed car sponsor, it meant he has sold his old chassis to help pay for the new sponsors car he got at a 20% discount on full retail price, and he has also had to replace his ESC to match the ESC his new team uses. Got a 10% discount on that one. Being part of the team does mean he can get help from the team at the meeting, but as the company supports anyone using their equipment it just means his sponsorship gets him a bit of a discount. Still has to pay all his own race fees and travel expenses though. If you are good enough to do well at national level then you might be given cars and equipment, but you will usually still have to find your own travel and hotel costs and be expected to go to the big races.

Another driver I know is one of the race team managers for a manufacturer, responsible for developing their cars and attending races supporting the sponsored drivers. He has his expenses covered, but his full time job is not in the industry, all his r/c work is done in his spare time including spending his weekends off work at a track with other team drivers testing setups.

If you want to be employed to race, that's a different situation and needs a lot more work to get, there are so few drivers who are actually employed to race around the world. To get to that stage you have to have the driving ability to get in the top 20 at a national championships. Very few of those drivers are involved in product development though, most spend their weeks manning technical support phones or being sales reps selling the products to hobby shops.

If you want to design and build cars as a job, recently Team Associated had a vacancy for a mechanical engineer. The requirements for the job were a degree in Mechanical Engineering, design experience with Solidworks software and RC driving and/or racing experience. Almost all other companies would have similar requirements, and having a mechanical engineering degree and cad software experience are considerably more important than any driving ability, after all they aren't short of drivers they can use to test the products.
terry.sc is offline   Reply With Quote