Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Bodyshell Handling Characteristics.... >

Bodyshell Handling Characteristics....

Like Tree9Likes

Bodyshell Handling Characteristics....

Old 11-06-2017, 11:37 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by 30Tooth View Post
Just lower the endplates already cut. They have to be mounted on the very lower part of the wing,which has to be the ones with the middle raised.
nope - the wing and endplates have to fit through a 20mm high x 40mm wide box - therefore the endplates if fitted have be level with top & bottom of the wing or it will fail scrutineering as it will not pass through the wing template box
Old 11-06-2017, 03:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Barry_Hughes View Post
nope - the wing and endplates have to fit through a 20mm high x 40mm wide box - therefore the endplates if fitted have be level with top & bottom of the wing or it will fail scrutineering as it will not pass through the wing template box
Ah bummer... So one would have to chop the same amount of the upper part of the wing if the endplate is to be lower? The smaller wing can be tuned to give more efficient downforce I guess, I will add that to my test list if its still legal.
Old 11-06-2017, 11:50 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by 30Tooth View Post
Ah bummer... So one would have to chop the same amount of the upper part of the wing if the endplate is to be lower? The smaller wing can be tuned to give more efficient downforce I guess, I will add that to my test list if its still legal.
yep you could do that as long as the height of the endplate and wing is not higher than 20mm, it doesn't matter how you configure it, so in theory you could have a totally flat wing with end plates 20mm beneath it as it would fit through the aperture in the box
Old 11-07-2017, 02:05 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Barry_Hughes View Post
yep you could do that as long as the height of the endplate and wing is not higher than 20mm, it doesn't matter how you configure it, so in theory you could have a totally flat wing with end plates 20mm beneath it as it would fit through the aperture in the box
Thank you!

Racers have to be educated that it isn't the upper part of the wing that produces downforce (it's not a shovel), it's the underside so the more air goes under the wing the better. Yes, that's the clean air bit we are always hearing, but we have been tricked into thinking the upper part is the more important when it's far from truth.

Old 11-07-2017, 08:25 AM
Tech Fanatic

I have read somewhere, that this applies only to the larger wings in 1:1 scale (or close), but that the tiny 1:10 lexan wings, are indeed just mere shovels (since neither physics nor air scale down, as the car does).
LonnyJ1950 and DBM like this.
Old 11-07-2017, 12:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

Originally Posted by DirkW View Post
I have read somewhere, that this applies only to the larger wings in 1:1 scale (or close), but that the tiny 1:10 lexan wings, are indeed just mere shovels (since neither physics nor air scale down, as the car does).
You're not saying we don't need the wing in the car, are you?
Old 11-07-2017, 12:58 PM
DBM
Tech Fanatic

In full scale race cars that use properly designed airfoils definitely do benefit from the side dams extending below the lower surface of the airfoil. Airfoils do indeex creat low pressure underneath them, and high pressure on the top side. They are merely inverted wings. Tbey typically stall at any angle higher than 9 degrees.
However, common 1/10 rc touring car bodies don't use proper airfoils. They are more of a spoiler liks in nascar. There is no clean air flow on the bottom side of the spolier due to it being drastically higher than 9 degrees. All that a tc wing is doing is building up a pile of air on the top side of the wing. They create a lot of drag but they are simple and light weight and easy to manufacture.
There is a way to get the best of both worlds, and that is by using a multi element wing. Two different ones were offered on shapeways by, iirc, josh cyrul, but i could be wrong.
1/10 touring cars have a great power to weight ratio comparted to full scale cars and also don't spend a huge amount of time at top speed, so the efficiency of a proper wing is negated by the added complexity/cost/weight.
DirkW likes this.
Old 11-07-2017, 01:03 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by snuvet75 View Post
You're not saying we don't need the wing in the car, are you?
No, I never said that. An RC touring car without a wing can become almost undrivable. Of course a wing produces downforce and it also stabilizes the car. But not quite in the complex way described above, with different pressure zones building above and below the wing and all that, with an airfoil shape like it's used in 1:1 scale racing (or aeroplanes, and many other things).

I found where I read about this again: check these pages here.
Old 02-14-2018, 06:43 AM
DBM
Tech Fanatic

PF Type-S vs Montech Racer. How do they compare? Black carpet.
I have been running a Type-s lightweight in touring mod. I'm satisfied with the handling (good steering without being hyper/darty, the rear rotates nicely without snapping free), but I've always found PF bodies to fall apart much much sooner than montech, so I'm considering the montech racer.