R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-01-2002, 08:24 AM   #1
DNQ
Tech Initiate

Default Custom Stickers

I've been trying to make custom stickers without much success. I find you can print some nice looking stickers on an average inkjet printer (except you cannot print white, of course), spray them with a clear acrylic, and they look great on the sheet, but when you stick them to your car, it's a different story.

Unless you're sticking them to white or very light colors, they just don't work out. The paint color bleeds right through. I realize that store bought stickers are backed with white, which is why you get a crisp look from them against darker colors.

One way we got around this was to print on white stickers instead of clear, but this doesn't always give you the desired effect.

Anyone know of any professional printers who can print stickers backed in white at a reasonable price? Anything with a website is preferred. Or does anyone have other solutions that have worked for them?
DNQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2002, 08:32 AM   #2
Tech Master

Here's a link i found:

http://www.supervipersystems.com/Var...ng_decals.html
Alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2002, 08:40 AM   #3
Tech Apprentice

I'm working on this also, give me some time to try something out.
kinoshita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2002, 09:08 AM   #4
dtm
Tech Champion

Send a message via ICQ to dtm

Stick with the clear stickers...reverse the print...cut right up to the edge of the picture......spray a thin film of white......put sticker on the INSIDE of the shell!!! Works a treat!!
dtm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2002, 09:09 AM   #5
dtm
Tech Champion

Send a message via ICQ to dtm

err...preferably BEFORE you paint the shell!!!!!
dtm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2002, 11:09 AM   #6
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to BigDogRacing

Quote:
Originally posted by dtm
err...preferably BEFORE you paint the shell!!!!!
LOL
BigDogRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2002, 04:08 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default Re: Custom Stickers

Quote:
Originally posted by DNQ
Anyone know of any professional printers who can print stickers backed in white at a reasonable price? Anything with a website is preferred. Or does anyone have other solutions that have worked for them?
I've been making my own custom stickers for about a year now, with good results.

The stickers come out well, no color bleed from the paint, but the stickers are not as durable as the commercialy avialable ones.

I use an old ALPS printer to print on clear vinyl sticker material. The advantage of the ALPS printer is that it can print white on clear, unlike an inkjet. Unless you're ready to spend $5000 or more for a printer, the ALPS is the only game in town.

I can do custom work, you supply me with the graphic you want printed and I can give you a quote. Remember, the stickers that come off the ALPS are not as durable as the commercialy available ones, but I can't afford a $5000 printer yet.

Here's an example of the ALPS produced stickers. The Trinity logos, the XXX-S logo on the hood, the RCTECH logo on the wing, the "SpeedFreekz" on the windshield, and the "Veet Voojagig" name on the side window all came off the ALPS printer.

Trips
Old 07-01-2002, 04:30 PM   #8
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to AE_Racer

hey Trips, want to make me a sheet of those rctech stickers ya got there? I can send you some money if you're willing...
AE_Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2002, 09:06 PM   #9
Tech Adept

i would like a set if possible also
grinch77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2002, 07:44 AM   #10
Tech Master

ALPS, dye sub printer, i wish I got one of those, not for stickers but for my work
Alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2002, 08:20 AM   #11
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I think it would be unethical for me to sell RCTECH stickers until I worked some arrangment out with futureal so that rctech.net would benefit from the sales.

Until then, I will print anything that you supply the artwork for. If you send me a file I can open with Photoshop I will print it on clear vinyl. I'll have to see the print size and get an idea of how much the cost would be, but for a typical sheet I'm guessing $4.00 or so for an 8.5*11 sheet.

By the way, ALPS printers are no longer in production, but you can find them readily on ebay. I got mine there for around $130 or so. The supplies are still readily available.

Trips