Wiki Posts
Search

Hypothetically is it POSSIBLE or EVER THOUGHT OF

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 06:10 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default Hypothetically is it POSSIBLE or EVER THOUGHT OF

Ok so here is the scenario. I have a few items sitting around right now that are going to be collecting dust. We have a 160a brushless esc and an 8th scale motor. Also have a 10th scale on road touring car roller sitting around with some alum. and steel hop ups done to it. I am wondering if anyone has ever heard of anyone installing an 8th scale system into a 10th scale touring car and what kind of speeds do you think it would produce.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:50 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tmac19781999
Ok so here is the scenario. I have a few items sitting around right now that are going to be collecting dust. We have a 160a brushless esc and an 8th scale motor. Also have a 10th scale on road touring car roller sitting around with some alum. and steel hop ups done to it. I am wondering if anyone has ever heard of anyone installing an 8th scale system into a 10th scale touring car and what kind of speeds do you think it would produce.
If you can mount it, and get a pinion on it, it will probably destroy your driveline, lol.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

If you can get everything to fit in the chassis......GO FOR IT!!!!! You may need to put in some crazy low gear ratio, because 1/8th scale motors have torque not RPM.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:19 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

It would be belt driven as well. I have been looking into possibly modifying some type of rubber in order to make a sufficient belt for it. Sounds crazy but was able to actually use a belt that goes onto a vac. just time consuming like crazy. took an exacto knife and started making some notches in the belt to grab the gear. also trimmed it down so that it was around the same width as the original ones. i know for sure it is thicker so hopefully it would reduce the belt snapping. now i have also been thinking about the gear ratio as well because you are 100% correct that these motors are torque all around. As far as the car goes. I am not to worried about the inner pieces getting destroyed as it will just give me a reason to replace them with more upgrades. As far as the esc goes. Was going to go into a savage but right now has not been on my mind to finish and the esc just sits as it has never been fired up once. Might as well use it for something. Kind of wish would have stayed at the the 120a size as it could be used in more vehicles. Maybe someone will need one and possibly have something they are not using in return. who knows.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:29 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tmac19781999
It would be belt driven as well. I have been looking into possibly modifying some type of rubber in order to make a sufficient belt for it. Sounds crazy but was able to actually use a belt that goes onto a vac. just time consuming like crazy. took an exacto knife and started making some notches in the belt to grab the gear. also trimmed it down so that it was around the same width as the original ones. i know for sure it is thicker so hopefully it would reduce the belt snapping. now i have also been thinking about the gear ratio as well because you are 100% correct that these motors are torque all around. As far as the car goes. I am not to worried about the inner pieces getting destroyed as it will just give me a reason to replace them with more upgrades. As far as the esc goes. Was going to go into a savage but right now has not been on my mind to finish and the esc just sits as it has never been fired up once. Might as well use it for something. Kind of wish would have stayed at the the 120a size as it could be used in more vehicles. Maybe someone will need one and possibly have something they are not using in return. who knows.
honestly most people are converting old 1/8th scale buggies to GT cars, much easier to setup, and drivelines built for the power.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:30 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I'm having a bit of fun trying to see what speed I can get an RC car up to.
105.9 klm/hr this morning

Using a 10th pan car. Seems obvious choice, axle should handle power no problems so just leaves a spur, balls and diff plates to cope and they're cheap and easy to replace.

Need a fairly smooth surface obviously...
Old 04-05-2012, 07:31 PM
Tech Apprentice

its been done alot around here

most of the time you just go threw tires quickly, you cant really put that kind of power down with a 1/10
Old 04-06-2012, 10:22 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MrChodes
I'm having a bit of fun trying to see what speed I can get an RC car up to.
105.9 klm/hr this morning

Using a 10th pan car. Seems obvious choice, axle should handle power no problems so just leaves a spur, balls and diff plates to cope and they're cheap and easy to replace.

Need a fairly smooth surface obviously...
I did the same thing last Fall, an old 10L, 3s lipo and a 3.5 brushless. 4:1 gearing hit 69 mph on a bad run. Hoping for 90+ this summer.