R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-05-2012, 02:00 AM   #16
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoracer View Post
I agree that spur size makes no difference. It's all about FDR and car setup. Is the drivetrain free ? Is the diff set up with more slip ? Spool or diff up front ? Belt tension ? All these things will have an effect.
That said, If our spur gears had any real weight to them then the argument would be different. A larger,heavier spur would have less torque effect but greater inertia effect therfore it would be better for higher speed and worse for acceleration. A smaller, lighter spur would be the opposite.
So...because we spur gears that have very little mass (weight), the effects are extremely minimal. Look for other factors between the 2 cars.
You are right about mass considerations, but there is something else.

Given that the spurs we use are basically weightless (read massless), the real benefit comes from having a larger spur radius which gives a better torque on the drivetrain. That is why people say large spurs give bottom end. Because they do. For the same torque applied by the motor you have a multiplication effect given by the larger radius of the spur. Not sure if it would be noticeable though (or perhaps not at all radius ratios - spur/pinion because remember the more teeth your pinion has, the larger its radius too, so that has a detrimental effect on the torque at the motor shaft)

Now if that can explain what our friend has noticed about his car, I don't know. Perhaps to check that the effect is real you should have a drag race with your friend after you made sure everything else is equal (batteries, ESC, setups, drivetrains free - same belt tension, etc.) If he does indeed pull ahead of you from a standing start then perhaps you can try his spur/pinion combo and then see if he still pulls you.

I have used only 64 pitch gears in my carpet cars and am very happy with them, but the most noticeable effect was the car was perfectly silent.

The best upgrade to any car is some driver skill.
niznai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 02:23 AM   #17
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to djnsayne

I'm sorry but that makes absolutly no sense. The laws of physics go completely against eveything that was stated...... the obvious reason for the OP's concerns is that either his ESC, battery or driving style is the reason why his car is slower than his friends car with the same motor and FDR. It could also be a binding situation in the drivetrain, but thats not as likely.
djnsayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 06:05 AM   #18
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Which statement DJ ?? I'm no engineer so very willing to say I'm wrong. My statements came from racing real cars both drag and onroad.
If you know the physics...please let us know.
Evoracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:15 AM   #19
Regional Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee View Post
A larger spur will gives you bottom end but the large pinion that would be needed to get to the same FDR will give you top end.

No, equal FDRs give equal power, and equal top speed. The motor shaft and layshaft will all turn at equal speeds regardless of which of the following combos you choose. These spur/pinion combos all give the same gear ratio, so the FDRs would be the same:

80/40, 90/45, 100/50, 120/60

If the gear weights are close, the effect of that on acceleration would be negligible, especially if the car is already rolling. The same goes for 48p vs. 64p. What could affect handling is the position of the motor in the chassis due to the diameters of the gears, since you are changing the f/r weight balance.

As I stated before, the OP should try switching motors and leaving everything else the same. Or, find a dyno and dyno the motors. I'd bet they aren't as close as you think, and may need to be geared differently.
CarbonJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 06:19 PM   #20
Tech Lord

Larger spur/pinion combos will have a better mesh. The teeth meet at a lower angle and therefor don't slide across each other as much improving efficiency. In actual practice, it makes no difference until you get to really small pinions like under 20 teeth which can be very inefficient.
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 06:26 PM   #21
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by niznai View Post
You are right about mass considerations, but there is something else.

Given that the spurs we use are basically weightless (read massless), the real benefit comes from having a larger spur radius which gives a better torque on the drivetrain.
This is very true if you are changing ONLY the spur. But, if you go to a larger spur and change pinions to get the same FDR, you are going to a larger pinion as well, reducing how much torque it exerts on that spur gear. They cancel each other out.

If you have a motor with 1 lbs/ft of torque at the shaft and a 10/30 gear for a 3:1 ratio. you get 3 lbs/ft of torque at the axle. Change to a 60 spur, you now have a 6:1 ratio for 6 lbs/ft of torque at the axle. Change the pinion to a 20, you are now back to a 3:1 ratio and 3 lbs/ft of torque at the axle.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:26 PM   #22
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to djnsayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonJoe View Post
No, equal FDRs give equal power, and equal top speed. The motor shaft and layshaft will all turn at equal speeds regardless of which of the following combos you choose. These spur/pinion combos all give the same gear ratio, so the FDRs would be the same:

80/40, 90/45, 100/50, 120/60

If the gear weights are close, the effect of that on acceleration would be negligible, especially if the car is already rolling. The same goes for 48p vs. 64p. What could affect handling is the position of the motor in the chassis due to the diameters of the gears, since you are changing the f/r weight balance.

As I stated before, the OP should try switching motors and leaving everything else the same. Or, find a dyno and dyno the motors. I'd bet they aren't as close as you think, and may need to be geared differently.

The OP stated that they have to use the same locked endbell motor. You are right though, maybe his motor is just worn,or he as improper gear mesh....... since he hasnt bothered to say if his batts or esc are the same as his competitor, I'm really more inclined to believe thats where the difference lies.
djnsayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 06:28 PM   #23
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonJoe View Post
What could affect handling is the position of the motor in the chassis due to the diameters of the gears, since you are changing the f/r weight balance.
I think this is where this myth comes from as it is VERY noticeable in pan cars. The bigger spur/pinion combo you can fit in a pan car, the faster it is but this is due to handling.
Old 04-08-2012, 08:21 AM   #24
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingracer View Post
This is very true if you are changing ONLY the spur. But, if you go to a larger spur and change pinions to get the same FDR, you are going to a larger pinion as well, reducing how much torque it exerts on that spur gear. They cancel each other out.

If you have a motor with 1 lbs/ft of torque at the shaft and a 10/30 gear for a 3:1 ratio. you get 3 lbs/ft of torque at the axle. Change to a 60 spur, you now have a 6:1 ratio for 6 lbs/ft of torque at the axle. Change the pinion to a 20, you are now back to a 3:1 ratio and 3 lbs/ft of torque at the axle.

You're absolutely right if pinion/spur diameters change identically (i.e. the diameter increase in spur is equal to diameter increase in pinion, but I am not sure that is the case). Teeth count does not matter as far a torque is concerned (but I do agree that it does change diameter, and it might be that you're right and the diameter change is the same, I admit I never measured).

The best upgrade to any car is some driver skill.
niznai is offline   Reply With Quote