R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-30-2002, 08:52 PM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Default CS Dyno / Fantom Dyno

Which motor dyno do you prefer and why. I'm considering buying buying one or the other.
rcfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2002, 08:57 PM   #2

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

I would recomend the CE dyno because the fantom dyno is more geared to dyno'ing motors for 4 cell cars with it's lower voltage.

Josh
Speedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2002, 09:02 PM   #3
Tech Master

Quote:
Posted by Speedo I would recomend the CE dyno because the fantom dyno is more geared to dyno'ing motors for 4 cell cars with it's lower voltage.
Josh I thouht they stop making the CE. If not where can I get more info on it and what does it cost. Also do you have one? What do you think of the CS Dyno?
Old 06-30-2002, 09:14 PM   #4
Tech Champion

i have always used the Fantom Dyno without issue. Very reliable consistent results. I guess any dyno would be pretty good, i'm just use to the Fantom.

ps: Trinity recently switched over to the Fantom Dynos for all of their Motor building / tuning and research.
Old 06-30-2002, 09:34 PM   #5
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted By Black-Knight i have always used the Fantom Dyno without issue. Very reliable consistent results. I guess any dyno would be pretty good, i'm just use to the Fantom.
Black-Knight I hear that the gear rollout feature is for oval racers, is their a way to determine gearing for sedan racing?
Old 06-30-2002, 09:45 PM   #6

Yes they did discontinue the CE, but if you look around you can probably still find one. I have a robotronic but I have borrowed the CE and it is a great dyno.

Sorry but I just don't like the fantom simply because it can't dyno at more than 5.4 volts or whatever it is. A motor at 5.4 may look good, but dyno it at 7.5 and it could look horrible.
Speedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2002, 09:54 PM   #7
R/C Tech Founder

Where's a good place to buy a Fantom dyno anyway? I have never seen one for sale at a shop or anything, just the occasional used one. I doubt I'd ever get one, but it'd be fun to window shop.
Old 06-30-2002, 10:08 PM   #8
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted By Speedo Yes they did discontinue the CE, but if you look around you can probably still find one. I have a robotronic but I have borrowed the CE and it is a great dyno.

Speedo the CE may be a good dyno. but my concern is, where do you go to have it repaired if it breaks? Is their another dyno that will allow you to adjust the voltage?
Old 06-30-2002, 11:24 PM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Competition Electronics still services their dynos, they just stopped producing them.

T
Old 07-01-2002, 06:47 PM   #10
Tech Adept

Hi all
The new Fantom dyno has a switch on the rear to change the voltage :-) and old ones should be able to be bought up to the new specs.
Otherwise find someone with version 6 software which has the ability to turn off the voltage regulator (not factory recomended) and use a battery pack.
All Trinity testing is going to be done at 5V, that info came from Dave at Decosoft (Facts software) so i figure that the motor department must know something

Me I have been using a Fantom dyno since 95/96 and the previous version before that, I tune for 6 cell 5 min on and off road, the guys I tune for are always fast because final testing is done on the track not the dyno. Please stop saying that you cant use a Fantom dyno a only 5v, as I for years used a nicad and v6(sorry I cant give out the software)
ahibj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2002, 07:57 PM   #11
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I have the beta version 6b? for the Fantom. I have yet to try dyno'ing off of an RC 3000HV battery. But it is an interesting feature for version 6 software. That and the drag racing calculations you can do. I dunno, maybe other versions of the software can do it too, but my old one didn't. Anyways, my dyno has been consistant with it's tests. And lets me know when my motors are in need of a tune-up again. I just see it as a tool to learn more about motors and what does what when you change things (springs, brushes, etc.) The windows software is very nice and gives out lots of info. I don't really see how one dyno can be better than another. Like what was said before, the real test is at the track. As for a place to by one, last time I checked.. Stormer had one online. Anyways, I can email anyone a copy of my dos beta v.6 if they'd like. Try it at your own risk.
JimmyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2002, 01:33 PM   #12
Tech Master

Just wanted to say thanks for all the feedback. I'm looking forward to purchaising my dyno.