R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-12-2005, 04:09 PM   #151
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Maybe someone can answer this. My system shuts down quite a lot. This is in Oval running 4 cells. Has anyone found a way to shut down the thermal cutoff option? Or any ideas as to why it would do this? God knows running 6 cells in a sedan is harder on the system than 4 cell oval.
Actually running 4 cells can be quite hard on a system. The novak will "phase back" if you will, to prevent power loss to the radio. When it does this, the losses in the drive fets increases and they heat up.

Quote:
Looking at taking the plunge into the brushless again. The first time was with a Novak so I really cant count that one Ha!! At any rate I was thinking about a U-Force 75 with a Shadow in a XXX-S G+. Has anyone had any experiences with this system or a setup similar to this in a XXX-S? Didn't know if there was going to be a problem with the belt? Does anyone have any pictures of this system in their XXX-S curious on how to fit the ESC on the chassis? Also I may be forced to run with the nitro sedans, will this system be able to compete?
I run that same system in my xxx-4 and I haven't had any real problems with the belt. I also run it in my tc3. I have not run it against nitros yet, but I think it has a good chance of keeping up depending on your level of competition. For instance, last year I got killed by the nitro class if you compare the lap times, but it was Brad Johnson from Team Hurricane driving the nitro. If he was driving an electric I would probably still get killed. Here is a link to the u-force installed in my xxx-4 with a lehner basic 4200. I don't have a pic of the shadow in this car.

http://www.rcpics.net/view_single.php?medid=46914

the controller has to sit on that angle to fit due to the chassis being chamfered (sp?) to clear the tires on the sedan.
Old 04-13-2005, 06:42 AM   #152
Tech Adept

Has anyone used the Plattenberg Indoor II motor and how does it compare to the Extreme and Shadow?
Davenport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 06:45 AM   #153
Exe
Tech Regular

Send a message via ICQ to Exe Send a message via Yahoo to Exe

get the most powerful what you can get! lehner basic xl5000! you won't be dissapointed, runs like low turn motors damn this thing is scary faaaaast!

extremely smooth, powerful and zero coggin with uforce75. just have enough guts to handle the beast
Exe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 10:33 AM   #154
Tech Adept

Quote:
In the video I was running a 5.5:1 final ratio. I think the pinion spur was somthing like 32 and 70. even with this ratio I was still getting about 6 minutes of run time. When I gear more normally I get around 9-11 minutes of runtime on GP3300's. This summer I have a faster motor so hopefully I will be able to beat those guys.
kufman, you stated above that you got a faster motor this year. What one did you get?? Also what tires were you running in the video AJs, I live in the QuadCities, about 2hrs west of AJs, and wouldn't mind racing there when I get my setup! So AJs is OK with mixing brushed with brushless?

Later, Greg
Old 04-15-2005, 06:31 AM   #155
Tech Adept

ttt
Old 04-15-2005, 03:31 PM   #156
Tech Elite

As it stands right now, AJ is cool with running them together. It got started when there were not enough people to have two separate classes so we ran them together and the results were separate. This summer I think he may allow brushless in open mod and just skip having two separate classes. The new motor I have is a Plettenberg Shadow. It is a 4-pole, 2-turn motor with about 6000 RPM/V. It gives the U-force a workout, but with a fan on the controller I don't have any problems. The tires I ran that day were Jaco foams. Purples in the rear and Plaids in the front. I ran way too light of springs for the track (19's front and 14's rear). I have lots of scrape marks on the chassis because of it.

Last edited by kufman; 04-19-2005 at 10:31 AM.
kufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 04:01 PM   #157
Tech Initiate

Default Shadow

Quote:
Originally posted by kufman
As it stands right now, AJ is cool with running them together. It got started when there were not enough people to have two separate classes so we ran them together and the results were separate. This summer I think he may allow brushless in open mod and just skip having two separate classes. The new motor I have is a Plettenberg Shadow. It is a 4-pole, 2-turn motor with about 6000 RPM/V. It gives the U-force a workout, but with a fan on the controller I don't have any problems. The tires I ran that day were TRC foams. Purples in the rear and Plaids in the front. I ran way too light of springs for the track (19's front and 14's rear). I have lots of scrape marks on the chassis because of it.

I have a shadow as well, but i m looking to get another one. Could you tell me where i could get another? is it online?
BlueT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 05:04 PM   #158
Tech Elite

I got mine from Jaime at www.starluckrc.com I don't know what he has for stock but be sure to e-mail him and ask since his webpage doesn't always show everthing.
Old 04-15-2005, 10:06 PM   #159
Tech Initiate

Default shadow

Quote:
I got mine from Jaime at www.starluckrc.com I don't know what he has for stock but be sure to e-mail him and ask since his webpage doesn't always show everthing.

thks
BlueT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 12:16 AM   #160
Tech Addict

I'm trying to gain support to introduce brushless to our rules in New Zealand. I've so far taken the IFMAR rules as they looked more flexible then the ROAR ones I looked up awhile ago.

What motors actually conform with the IFMAR rules?

The Plett Extreme I have wouldn't as the manuafcturers logo is not molded into the endbell. I have no idea if the specs of this motor conforms?

I was going to get a Shadow, but don't want to spend the $$ on an illegal motor.
Greg M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 01:17 AM   #161
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

I been running a Feigao 7 turn and Hacker 6 turn against 7 or 8 turn brush motor with identical speed. I managed to get a Kontronic Twist 47 yesterday in addition to my brushless arsenal
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img_0594.jpg (51.4 KB, 158 views)
Old 04-16-2005, 01:19 AM   #162
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

another one
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img_0595.jpg (56.9 KB, 150 views)
Old 04-16-2005, 02:10 AM   #163
Tech Initiate

haahahaaa i run my new novak brushless today in my evader with 20/ 86 gearing (no over heating) was all good there were about 10 of us with an asortment of cars/ buggies/ trucks it ended up out the front on the road for drags as no one could keep a straight line on the very loose grit oh the track in the back yard (too much sand in the loam mix) good drags seems the novak has good torque but not quite the revs as a 7 turn it would get the speed off the line but couldnt hold out for the revs not by a bee's whisker damn!!!! but hey no maitenance but all in all it beat a few nitro cars (stockers) and could almost kep up with a rex x pretty bloody hapy with it and ( NO MAINTENANCE)
wingspan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 11:57 AM   #164
Tech Regular

Quote:
I have a feigao for my e-maxx, the 540-10L. It is pretty good, but they can't be taken apart for servicing.
Can lehners, hackers, kontronics be taken apart for servicing? What do you guys do when servicing your motors...clean out dirt, change out bearings? Can i say that feigao motors are meant to be used till it stopped working?
diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 12:41 PM   #165
Exe
Tech Regular

Send a message via ICQ to Exe Send a message via Yahoo to Exe

Quote:
Originally posted by diesel
Can lehners, hackers, kontronics be taken apart for servicing? What do you guys do when servicing your motors...clean out dirt, change out bearings? Can i say that feigao motors are meant to be used till it stopped working?

i've been using novak for a year, sold it, guy has been runing for half a year further, motor hasn't been opened since factory assembly runs fine.
Exe is offline   Reply With Quote