R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-31-2005, 01:07 PM   #61
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Shookie
Yea but for the same price you get Rating of #5 instead of #7....from Acer.
I just bought a set this morning. I had them in my TC3 before I got my Yokomo, super high quality and as long as you took care of them they will last a very long time.
Just my $0.02
Stephen <><
This is from acer's web site:

Lightweight ceramic balls dramatically decrease the centrifugal force placed by the balls on the rings. This, in addition to a 50% higher modulus of elasticity than conventional bearings, and "Grade 5" smoothness of the balls (contrary to popular belief the lower the Grade number a ball is, the rounder and smoother it is), produce a lower coefficient of friction at the ball-raceway interface, leading to over 33% less friction in the bearing as compared to conventional bearings, and far less wear, lasting an average of ten times longer than conventional bearings. Sealed with our exclusive no contact seals for the lowest friction and best dirt resistance. These are the best and most high tech seals available.

where did you get the abec 7 rating????????

this is the email that I received from boca:

We have a Ceramic Bearing kit for the Tamiya 415 which we can offer you in the following:

Kit #55-400C-YZ (16) Stainless Steel Ceramic Bearings with metal shields……………… $99.95.

Kit #55-400C-YS (16) Stainless Steel Ceramic Bearings with rubber seals……………….$115.95. Recommended for gas engine cars/trucks – Maintenance Free.

Kit #55-400C-YU (16) Stainless Steel Ceramic Bearings with Ultra Seals………………...$115.95. Recommended for Electric Cars/trucks – Maintenance Free.

We do not offer an ABEC 7 Ceramic Kit. The difference in cost would be at least double and the difference in performance would be negligible

Only thing is there rated at abec #1, I'm waiting for Surge to email me back, their's rated at abec #5 but since they don't sell them as a set for the 415 they'll see what they can do for me!

Last edited by dawgmeat; 01-31-2005 at 01:24 PM.
dawgmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 02:45 PM   #62
Tech Master

Send a message via Yahoo to koabich

Wow...all this talk about ABEC and stuff.

I have never tried the Boca bearings so I cannot comment on their quality. I have used RC4Less and I will pass on them. I have used the Yokomo and they were great bearings but the seals are not all that great in keeping out dirt and carpet fibers...typical of metal sheilded bearings.

I bought the Acers and could not be happier. Great product, great price and the more I run them the better they get. The seals are top notch and require almost no maintenance. I have yet to break one bearing in over 2.5 seasons of racing on the same set. None have broken and none have worn out.

If you were going to spend roughly $8.00 per bearing, stay away from the metal sheilds. Once you hit something and the sheild bends, the bearing is shot. Sure at first they spin more freely than the Acer plastic shields but once the Acer's break in, nothing can touch them. If you crash, the plastic shield will bounce back and not interfere with performance.

If someone gives the Boca a try, let me know what you think. I might try them, but it will take a lot to get me away from my Acer's. I have one set in each of my cars and they have been flawless. Couldn't be happier.
koabich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 03:03 PM   #63
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to Losi Will

Quote:
Originally posted by Nipple

But in actual fact, for high speed application like RC cars, Abec 5 is better as you need the gap for lubrication to flow.
Abec 7 bearing should only be used in applications where vibration is an issue.
I don't agree with that. whether you're using thin, lightweight oil or even a thick motor oil all that is necessary is a thin coating on the races and balls. Any more than that will just slow it down and will be thrown off the bearing when you use it. if the tolerances were tight enough to not let oil into the races the bearing would hardly spin.

BigDogRacing- A higher ABEC number dosen't mean there are more balls in the bearing compared to a lower ABEC number. In front of me I have an ABEC 1 and an ABEC 7 skate bearing. They both look identical to the naked eye and have the same amount of balls.
Losi Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 03:29 PM   #64
V12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hmm I know some people here using the Acer´s and most like them. But I have heard the Acers now are not the same bearings they used to be one or two years ago. Much more drag because of different shields. Is this true?
I have some very good Gold..... but I think of buying a set for an other car and think of the Acers because of running them outdoors. And I think the Acers shields should be the best protection for keeping out dirt as Koabich said.

@ Koabich
How much runs do the Acers need for breaking in?
Old 01-31-2005, 05:53 PM   #65
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default Acer Bearings

For my TC4 I bought a set of the Acer Ceramic Nitride Pro Series Bearings with these so called Red No Contact Sheilds and DO NOT like them. I should have returned or exchanged them, but I tried to work on them to get them to improve.

Some were so gritty feeling to start. That is because the sheilds are dipped in some rubber like red coating and the inside of the sheilds were rubbing on the ball race inner cage mechanism and flaking the coating off. They were packed with lots of thicker type grease too. Not what a high performance bearing should have.

I cleaned them out and ran them without the sheilds and they improved but they are not running even close to what should be ceramic high performance bearings. Also they are now deteriorating in smoothness and chipping at the edges and some will break soon I imagine in the hubs of the car.

I think I will look at Boca for next time for my TRF415 & TC4.

Acer's individual Diff Balls are great in Silicon Nitride and Tungsten Carbide.

My Outdated R/C Car collection:
Associated B44, Associated NTC3, Tamiya TRF415, TRF415 MSX MRE, TRF416X
190mph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 07:08 PM   #66
Tech Elite

Default Score card

Acer is taken a beatin" and not one person had anything bad to say about Boca
Old 01-31-2005, 10:46 PM   #67
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Quote:
Originally posted by Mason
There are different grading systems for different items.

Precision balls (diff balls and balls that go into bearings) are measured using the ABMA (american bearing manufacturers association, formerly the AFBMA - anti friction bearing manuf. association) grading in which the lower the number, the tighter the tolerances.

Grade 3,5,10,15,25...
Most kits come with grade 25. if you can get grade 3 thats great but its gonna be a pretty penny. - and make sure its plenty hard!

Ball bearings (the construction of the actual bearing) are measured by ABEC (Annular Bearing Engineers Committee) where the higher the number the tighter the tolerances.
Grade 1-3-5-7-9. ... higher number items are for precise non-shock applications. stay with 3 or 5.

Hybrid ceramic bearings are metal casings with ceramic balls.
Full ceramics are all ceramic components.. lighter yes but can you not hit anything? :P
Exactly Mason

- JB

A E - 12R5.2 _ S M - REV8 PRO
JayBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 10:52 PM   #68
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Losi Will

BigDogRacing- A higher ABEC number dosen't mean there are more balls in the bearing compared to a lower ABEC number. In front of me I have an ABEC 1 and an ABEC 7 skate bearing. They both look identical to the naked eye and have the same amount of balls.
I was going to say something about that too but dammit, you beat me to it ; THE ABEC RATING HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH HOW MANY BALLS ARE IN THE BEARINGS... Sorry

- JB

A E - 12R5.2 _ S M - REV8 PRO
JayBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 05:40 AM   #69
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Default Re: Score card

Quote:
Originally posted by dawgmeat
Acer is taken a beatin" and not one person had anything bad to say about Boca
Acer are damn fine to me. I have had these in my TC3 and now my Pro 4. Everybody that has seen my car free spin can't believe how long it goes for.

Give them a good clean, a good days racing then another clean and it Game Over.

Coxy.
Coxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 08:30 AM   #70
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Shookie Send a message via MSN to Mr. Shookie

where did you get the abec 7 rating????????

I got it from the RC4Less website.
I was replying to the post above mine talking about RC4Less
When I went there they wer #7 and Acers are #5....
Hope this clears thing up.
Stephen <><
All who love the LORD JESUS I praise with you.1 Cor 10:31
Team HOLY Rollers (Team Manager)
The Church is a Hospital for Sinners not a Museum for Saints.
RcTech Feedback <>< RC Tech Subcriber #92
Mr. Shookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 01:17 PM   #71
Tech Elite

Default The winner is

Rc4less 40 buck for 8 5x11mm bearing I have ceramics Yok 10x15mm already installed,