R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-29-2005, 03:24 AM   #16
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by koabich
Acer all the way. Regarless of what other say, Acer uses the highest quality ceramic balls available (some are confused on the quality rating system). They do get better with time. The seals require little to no maintenance and they are plastic so if you get into an accident, the sheild will not bend into the cage and ruin the bearing as metal cages will do. They also keep dirt and stuff out of the bearing about 100% better than any other seal. I have never had to pull a carpet fiber from my Acer Ceramics.

I feel many that have tried Acer ceramic bearings make a big mistake. When new the Acer Ceramics will not seem as free as they should so many clean them and relube them before they have been run....big mistake in my experience. These bearings need to be broken in and I recommend breaking them in as they came from the factory. After 10-20 runs, these bearings are incredible and get better with every run. 1 set will last you forever!!
The highest quality rating I've found is Grade#3 (the lower the Grade, the better/smoother the bearings) which comes from Boca; Acer doesn't use the 'highest' quality ceramics, I think theirs are Grade#5 (which isn't shabby AT ALL).
I'm using Acers right now, and love 'em but have to admit, I did clean them out and put some Trinity Royal oil in them. My Yoke spins for about 9secs though. If you're counting that out loud, that's pretty long. Boca's are 196.00 dollars for a set, WHOA!
I don't know what other manufacturers are using for their ceramics, but some ceramic bearings can go as 'low' as Grade#25...

- JB

A E - 12R5.2 _ S M - REV8 PRO
JayBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 03:39 AM   #17
Tech Master

Default You wouldn't happen to know....

Quote:
Originally posted by JayBee
The highest quality rating I've found is Grade#3 (the lower the Grade, the better/smoother the bearings) which comes from Boca; Acer doesn't use the 'highest' quality ceramics, I think theirs are Grade#5 (which isn't shabby AT ALL).
I'm using Acers right now, and love 'em but have to admit, I did clean them out and put some Trinity Royal oil in them. My Yoke spins for about 9secs though. If you're counting that out loud, that's pretty long. Boca's are 196.00 dollars for a set, WHOA!
I don't know what other manufacturers are using for their ceramics, but some ceramic bearings can go as 'low' as Grade#25...

- JB
what grade the Yokomo set is would you? I recently got a set but haven't put them in yet.

Ps: 9 seconds is that all.
Mabuchi540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 04:37 AM   #18
Tech Champion

Sorry Mab540, I'll have to look into that ...

yeah, that's it... a measly 9 secs

- JB

Old 01-29-2005, 09:20 AM   #19
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to Losi Will

Quote:
Sorry but you've got that backwards. Higher ABEC # =tighter tolerances(Higher quality and longer life). A lower ABEC #, is, of course, the opposite.
Generally, the higher ABEC numbered bearings are worth it. I have had a set of ABEC 7s in my hockey skates for around 4 years now and they still spin like new. Granted, there is very little side load on the bearing compared to RC use, but, 4 years of constant skating would've killed any lower grade bearing.

I've never heard of an ABEC 25 bearing. I googled it and never found anything on it either. Diff balls are often grade 25, are you thinking of those?

Last edited by Losi Will; 01-29-2005 at 10:39 PM.
Losi Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 09:29 AM   #20
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The highest ABEC grade is 7.
ghuber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 01:17 PM   #21
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by ghuber
The highest ABEC grade is 7.
does surge have the 415 set
dawgmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 02:13 PM   #22
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by Losi Will
Sorry but you've got that backwards. Higher ABEC # =tighter tolerances(Higher quality and longer life). A lower ABEC #, is, of course, the opposite.
Generally, the higher ABEC numbered bearings are worth it. I have had a set of ABEC 7s in my hockey skates for around 4 years now and they still spin like new. Granted, there is very little side load on the bearing compared to RC use, but, 4 years of constant skating would've killed any lower grade bearing.

I've never heard of an ABEC 25 bearing. I googled it and never found anything on it either. Diff balls are often ABEC grade 25, are you thinking of those?
Look harder... anything worth finding takes work.
Are YOU sure? Reading up on Acer's site when I ordered my bearings, they mentioned the same thing I said, the lower the Grade, the more round and smoother the bearings are. Boca's site says the same thing or am I misreading something... the ABEC Grade rating is the rating on the balls within the ball-bearing assembly; I didn't make it clear earlier, but yes grade 25 are often diff balls but Boca sells 1/16 (thrust balls) and 3/32 (diff balls) for my Yoke @ Grade#3...
For interested ones, look on Acer's site under Differential balls; Grade #25 is the lower grade that alot of other manufacturers sell

- JB

Last edited by JayBee; 01-29-2005 at 02:22 PM.
Old 01-29-2005, 02:18 PM   #23
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via MSN to SalvadoriRacing Send a message via Skype™ to SalvadoriRacing

i had abec 7 BBs on my ROLLERBLADE FUSION MX

the higher the abec # the faster is the BB......

O.S. Engines - KM RACING - CONTACT TYRES - SAVOX - LRP - ARC | Blitz | Titan
SalvadoriRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 02:27 PM   #24
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quick google search found this.....

ABEC 1 – good durability, good beginner bearing, slow spin
ABEC 3 – faster spin and a great intermediate bearing choice
ABEC 5 – great top speed and increased durability
ABEC 7 – fastest spin, top precision, very tight bearing tolerances
RCevolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 02:46 PM   #25
Tech Champion

Post Correction...

I'm getting the two mixed up, yes the ABEC rating is talking about the bearing tolerances, the higher the rating the closer it is to being 'dimensionally' perfect ...

- JB

Old 01-29-2005, 04:51 PM   #26
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to Losi Will
Default Re: Correction...

Quote:
I'm getting the two mixed up, yes the ABEC rating is talking about the bearing tolerances, the higher the rating the closer it is to being 'dimensionally' perfect ...

- JB
...and the higher the rating the smoother, faster, and better the bearing. ABEC 3 bearings are regarded as crap by most skaters,skateboarders and even yoyoers. it's the complete opposite with diff balls which aren't rated by ABEC.
Losi Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 05:09 PM   #27
Tech Champion

Default Re: Re: Correction...

Quote:
Originally posted by Losi Will
...and the higher the rating the smoother, faster, and better the bearing. . it's the complete opposite with diff balls which aren't rated by ABEC.
Yes, absolutely... and thanx for helping me realize the foot that was within thy mouth

- JB

Old 01-29-2005, 06:27 PM   #28
Tech Fanatic

Now you've got me confusd? on the site it say's contrary to popular belief the lower the abec # the smoother and rounder and faster the bearing is? I'm going back and reread it for the fourth time.Okay I reread it,it does say the lower the # of the balls the better the bearing,so I take it you need a bearing with a low ball # and high abec # Hmmm! Correct?

Last edited by Hyper1; 01-29-2005 at 06:33 PM.
Hyper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 06:39 PM   #29
Tech Fanatic

It looks like boca bearings hands down,being that money isn't an option
Hyper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 08:21 PM   #30
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Hyper1
It looks like boca bearings hands down,being that money isn't an option
i went to their website and their highest rating was#3 for the 415 for 115 bucks, i didn't see any set that cost 190 bucks
dawgmeat is offline   Reply With Quote