Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Who makes the best Ceramic bearings, money is not an option >

Who makes the best Ceramic bearings, money is not an option

Who makes the best Ceramic bearings, money is not an option

Reply

Old 01-29-2005, 03:24 AM
  #16  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (31)
 
JayBee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 12TH-MAN COUNTRY
Posts: 6,818
Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default

Originally posted by koabich
Acer all the way. Regarless of what other say, Acer uses the highest quality ceramic balls available (some are confused on the quality rating system). They do get better with time. The seals require little to no maintenance and they are plastic so if you get into an accident, the sheild will not bend into the cage and ruin the bearing as metal cages will do. They also keep dirt and stuff out of the bearing about 100% better than any other seal. I have never had to pull a carpet fiber from my Acer Ceramics.

I feel many that have tried Acer ceramic bearings make a big mistake. When new the Acer Ceramics will not seem as free as they should so many clean them and relube them before they have been run....big mistake in my experience. These bearings need to be broken in and I recommend breaking them in as they came from the factory. After 10-20 runs, these bearings are incredible and get better with every run. 1 set will last you forever!!
The highest quality rating I've found is Grade#3 (the lower the Grade, the better/smoother the bearings) which comes from Boca; Acer doesn't use the 'highest' quality ceramics, I think theirs are Grade#5 (which isn't shabby AT ALL).
I'm using Acers right now, and love 'em but have to admit, I did clean them out and put some Trinity Royal oil in them. My Yoke spins for about 9secs though. If you're counting that out loud, that's pretty long. Boca's are 196.00 dollars for a set, WHOA!
I don't know what other manufacturers are using for their ceramics, but some ceramic bearings can go as 'low' as Grade#25...

- JB
JayBee is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 03:39 AM
  #17  
Tech Master
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 1,204
Default You wouldn't happen to know....

Originally posted by JayBee
The highest quality rating I've found is Grade#3 (the lower the Grade, the better/smoother the bearings) which comes from Boca; Acer doesn't use the 'highest' quality ceramics, I think theirs are Grade#5 (which isn't shabby AT ALL).
I'm using Acers right now, and love 'em but have to admit, I did clean them out and put some Trinity Royal oil in them. My Yoke spins for about 9secs though. If you're counting that out loud, that's pretty long. Boca's are 196.00 dollars for a set, WHOA!
I don't know what other manufacturers are using for their ceramics, but some ceramic bearings can go as 'low' as Grade#25...

- JB
what grade the Yokomo set is would you? I recently got a set but haven't put them in yet.

Ps: 9 seconds is that all.
Mabuchi540 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 04:37 AM
  #18  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (31)
 
JayBee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 12TH-MAN COUNTRY
Posts: 6,818
Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Post

Sorry Mab540, I'll have to look into that ...

yeah, that's it... a measly 9 secs

- JB
JayBee is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 09:20 AM
  #19  
Tech Regular
 
Losi Will's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 420
Default

Originally posted by JayBee
The highest quality rating I've found is Grade#3 (the lower the Grade, the better/smoother the bearings) which comes from Boca; Acer doesn't use the 'highest' quality ceramics, I think theirs are Grade#5 (which isn't shabby AT ALL).
Sorry but you've got that backwards. Higher ABEC # =tighter tolerances(Higher quality and longer life). A lower ABEC #, is, of course, the opposite.
Generally, the higher ABEC numbered bearings are worth it. I have had a set of ABEC 7s in my hockey skates for around 4 years now and they still spin like new. Granted, there is very little side load on the bearing compared to RC use, but, 4 years of constant skating would've killed any lower grade bearing.

I've never heard of an ABEC 25 bearing. I googled it and never found anything on it either. Diff balls are often grade 25, are you thinking of those?

Last edited by Losi Will; 01-29-2005 at 10:39 PM.
Losi Will is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 09:29 AM
  #20  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 745
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

The highest ABEC grade is 7.
ghuber is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 01:17 PM
  #21  
Tech Elite
Thread Starter
iTrader: (8)
 
dawgmeat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 2,570
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Originally posted by ghuber
The highest ABEC grade is 7.
does surge have the 415 set
dawgmeat is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 02:13 PM
  #22  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (31)
 
JayBee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 12TH-MAN COUNTRY
Posts: 6,818
Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Post

Originally posted by Losi Will
Sorry but you've got that backwards. Higher ABEC # =tighter tolerances(Higher quality and longer life). A lower ABEC #, is, of course, the opposite.
Generally, the higher ABEC numbered bearings are worth it. I have had a set of ABEC 7s in my hockey skates for around 4 years now and they still spin like new. Granted, there is very little side load on the bearing compared to RC use, but, 4 years of constant skating would've killed any lower grade bearing.

I've never heard of an ABEC 25 bearing. I googled it and never found anything on it either. Diff balls are often ABEC grade 25, are you thinking of those?
Look harder... anything worth finding takes work.
Are YOU sure? Reading up on Acer's site when I ordered my bearings, they mentioned the same thing I said, the lower the Grade, the more round and smoother the bearings are. Boca's site says the same thing or am I misreading something... the ABEC Grade rating is the rating on the balls within the ball-bearing assembly; I didn't make it clear earlier, but yes grade 25 are often diff balls but Boca sells 1/16 (thrust balls) and 3/32 (diff balls) for my Yoke @ Grade#3...
For interested ones, look on Acer's site under Differential balls; Grade #25 is the lower grade that alot of other manufacturers sell

- JB

Last edited by JayBee; 01-29-2005 at 02:22 PM.
JayBee is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 02:18 PM
  #23  
Tech Fanatic
 
SalvadoriRacing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Brazil, Sao Paulo
Posts: 928
Default

i had abec 7 BBs on my ROLLERBLADE FUSION MX


the higher the abec # the faster is the BB......
SalvadoriRacing is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 02:27 PM
  #24  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 176
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quick google search found this.....

ABEC 1 good durability, good beginner bearing, slow spin
ABEC 3 faster spin and a great intermediate bearing choice
ABEC 5 great top speed and increased durability
ABEC 7 fastest spin, top precision, very tight bearing tolerances
RCevolution is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 02:46 PM
  #25  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (31)
 
JayBee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 12TH-MAN COUNTRY
Posts: 6,818
Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Post Correction...

I'm getting the two mixed up, yes the ABEC rating is talking about the bearing tolerances, the higher the rating the closer it is to being 'dimensionally' perfect ...

- JB
JayBee is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 04:51 PM
  #26  
Tech Regular
 
Losi Will's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 420
Default Re: Correction...

Originally posted by JayBee
I'm getting the two mixed up, yes the ABEC rating is talking about the bearing tolerances, the higher the rating the closer it is to being 'dimensionally' perfect ...

- JB
...and the higher the rating the smoother, faster, and better the bearing. ABEC 3 bearings are regarded as crap by most skaters,skateboarders and even yoyoers. it's the complete opposite with diff balls which aren't rated by ABEC.
Losi Will is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 05:09 PM
  #27  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (31)
 
JayBee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 12TH-MAN COUNTRY
Posts: 6,818
Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default Re: Re: Correction...

Originally posted by Losi Will
...and the higher the rating the smoother, faster, and better the bearing. . it's the complete opposite with diff balls which aren't rated by ABEC.
Yes, absolutely... and thanx for helping me realize the foot that was within thy mouth

- JB
JayBee is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 06:27 PM
  #28  
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 835
Default

Now you've got me confusd? on the site it say's contrary to popular belief the lower the abec # the smoother and rounder and faster the bearing is? I'm going back and reread it for the fourth time.Okay I reread it,it does say the lower the # of the balls the better the bearing,so I take it you need a bearing with a low ball # and high abec # Hmmm! Correct?

Last edited by Hyper1; 01-29-2005 at 06:33 PM.
Hyper1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 06:39 PM
  #29  
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 835
Default

It looks like boca bearings hands down,being that money isn't an option
Hyper1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 08:21 PM
  #30  
Tech Elite
Thread Starter
iTrader: (8)
 
dawgmeat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 2,570
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Originally posted by Hyper1
It looks like boca bearings hands down,being that money isn't an option
i went to their website and their highest rating was#3 for the 415 for 115 bucks, i didn't see any set that cost 190 bucks
dawgmeat is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service