R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-03-2013, 09:25 AM   #91
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Meal View Post
That is just the default picture that shops are using on their web-pages.....there is only one part number, 6907...all of the body styles fall under that...if you want a particular driver, just be sure to ask for it.
Tower hobbies shows the other three out of stock only Courtney's car is in stock. And I just checked the Buy Traxxas website and they don't have any in stock at all. Is the car being discontinued or they setting up for a re-release, I'm a little worried.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:20 AM   #92
Tech Addict

Traxxas funny car owners:

QUESTION: Do these cars run OK? From what I've see on Youtube videos they seen almost uncontrolable after the first 30 or 40 feet into a run. Were all these guys (in the videos) just coincidentally incompotent?

Please share your thoughts regarding performance. I'd love to do a replacement body to fit the car - but I don't know if it's a worthwhile project.

I'm an incurable nitro junkie when it comes to the real 1:1 nitro dragsters/funny cars.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Dale Epp - Protoform Race Bodies
Old 05-03-2013, 12:44 PM   #93
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by daleepp View Post

QUESTION: Do these cars run OK? From what I've see on Youtube videos they seen almost uncontrolable after the first 30 or 40 feet into a run. Were all these guys (in the videos) just coincidentally incompotent?

Please share your thoughts regarding performance. I'd love to do a replacement body to fit the car - but I don't know if it's a worthwhile project.

I'm an incurable nitro junkie when it comes to the real 1:1 nitro dragsters/funny cars.

Yes Dale these cars can be driven just fine And they are a lot of fun. All it takes is a good surface and a little preparation, then getting the launch control set right and these things will just fly. I think the most important part is the timing equipment it makes for a very very realistic experience. I find when racing with friends you find yourself going right back up to the starting line and making pass after pass because you're racing against the clock and against the track. And yes Dale please make us a body we need a Chevy or Dodge to run up against these Ford's!
Old 05-06-2013, 08:22 AM   #94
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

In the current day and age of beginners buying 60MPH 4wd trucks and buggies, this will happen. Beginners get used to driving at full tilt, turning hard right, and not suffering any consequences.... The car (just like a real funny car) will have the propensity to crash if not setup properly. You really have to drive the car for at least a pack at low speeds in order to get used to how it behaves before you put a 3s pack on it and crank it to the 70 mph selling.
Every single video that I have seen and messaged back, the person who drove it admitted that they just took it out of the box, did a burnout, and took off right away and "suprise!", the car flipped....
As far as driving around, yeah, you can do it...it has a rear differential, so, it does turn, but I dont really know how fun it could be driving around with it :-)

I have a couple of funny cars and have drive others when they first came out and I have never flipped once......but, I didnt do a true run for, probably 2 battery packs (I used torque control alot and I used a NIMH 6 cell and 7 cell hump for a while).....
At the original price, I know alot of Hardcore NHRA guys who bought one....at the current price of $299, I dont see any reason not to get one......even if you arent a funny car buff.
What else can you buy thats 70+, Brushless, 4 pole, good looking enough to put on display, and under 300 bucks. :-)

Last edited by Happy Meal; 05-06-2013 at 08:46 AM.
Happy Meal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 03:15 PM   #95
Tech Addict

THANKS NitroDoctor and Happy Meal for sharing your thoughts. Much appreciated.

Wow - the price is right at $299! Need to get one regardless of how they work - just to display, if nothing else.

Dale - Protoform
Old 05-15-2013, 05:02 PM   #96
Tech Regular

Quote:
THANKS NitroDoctor and Happy Meal for sharing your thoughts. Much appreciated.

Wow - the price is right at $299! Need to get one regardless of how they work - just to display, if nothing else.

Dale - Protoform
Please do! Then get up and design a Chevy or Dodge Funny Car body; ) I may have to get one of these too.

and Happy Meal is right, like any rc race car, it does need set up, gearing, launch control and steering rc settings. I saw a vid, the guy used 18t pinion and 60% throttle Launch control. It ran hot and straight on asphalt.

Now I'm waiting for Traxxas to launch a 1/8th Top Fuel rail! Dreaming
Old 05-21-2013, 06:19 PM   #97
Tech Rookie

Default Check out what we are doing with the Traxxas Funny Cars

facebook.com/RCDRLNT They are a challenge to drive but thats part of the fun!
MercMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:25 AM   #98
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

The guys around here have figured out locking the diff help a lot with keeping them going straight, and gearing them up makes them a heck of a lot faster. Upgrading the stock steering servo and trashing the servo saver is a must too.
MX304 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:54 AM   #99
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Quote:

Dale -

Straight out of the box, the car was surprisingly difficult to control. Tons of torque, not enough traction, brakes were too strong, the diff caused problems... I've been racing every form of rc car for the better part of 25 years, and was initially baffled that I couldn't get the car down my street without rolling it, either on acceleration or braking. I put far thicker fluid in the diff, treated the tires, set the launch control to 60%, and learned to go easier on the brake. It's been night and day. And running 2S on an unprepped surface is a good idea. My car now launches straight, carrying the front wheels for the first 6 - 8 feet. Once it gets up to speed, the body and wing do a surprisingly good job of stabilizing the car. The body was getting enough downforce that it started to rub on the aphalt. I'm going to try firming up the suspension a bit to eliminate the rubbing.
I'm hoping that someone will release a true locker for the car soon - I think it'd be a huge benefit for anyone running on smoother surfaces.
I'm glad to see more people are excited about the car now that the price has dropped. If you're a fan of drag racing, it's a no-brainer. I could build a faster car, but the realism is more my thing.
So, as I'm more in to nostalgia drags, I have to throw a suggestion out there for a new body...

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Sorcerer001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 04:33 PM   #100
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX304 View Post
The guys around here have figured out locking the diff help a lot with keeping them going straight, and gearing them up makes them a heck of a lot faster. Upgrading the stock steering servo and trashing the servo saver is a must too.
Yes I found a way to JB weld the Diff on my car and 100% difference,much more control durning breaking and on acceleration. I also add 1 to 2 ounces of the lead up in the front gas tank depending on traction, a little Pepsi on the parking lot can go a long way.
Old 05-23-2013, 06:38 PM   #101
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorcerer001 View Post
Dale -

Straight out of the box, the car was surprisingly difficult to control. Tons of torque, not enough traction, brakes were too strong, the diff caused problems... I've been racing every form of rc car for the better part of 25 years, and was initially baffled that I couldn't get the car down my street without rolling it, either on acceleration or braking. I put far thicker fluid in the diff, treated the tires, set the launch control to 60%, and learned to go easier on the brake. It's been night and day. And running 2S on an unprepped surface is a good idea. My car now launches straight, carrying the front wheels for the first 6 - 8 feet. Once it gets up to speed, the body and wing do a surprisingly good job of stabilizing the car. The body was getting enough downforce that it started to rub on the aphalt. I'm going to try firming up the suspension a bit to eliminate the rubbing.
I'm hoping that someone will release a true locker for the car soon - I think it'd be a huge benefit for anyone running on smoother surfaces.
I'm glad to see more people are excited about the car now that the price has dropped. If you're a fan of drag racing, it's a no-brainer. I could build a faster car, but the realism is more my thing.
So, as I'm more in to nostalgia drags, I have to throw a suggestion out there for a new body...

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
I would buy a Traxxas FC in a heartbeat if i could get my hands on that 57 Chev Flopper for a body on here!
Would LOVE to see a nostalgia line of bodies available.

** Every time see someone use their first post to necro-bump a 4 year old thread all I can think is "at least they used the search function" **
Monteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 08:35 PM   #102
pbr
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

+2 on the 57
pbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:02 PM   #103
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbr View Post
+2 on the 57
...+3 on the 57..get to work DALE!!!!!!!
Taylorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 06:53 PM   #104
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Old thread, I know.

But I just pulled the trigger on one of these insane machines, and it's due to hit my doorstep on June 15th. Just seven days before I'm scheduled to take it to the airport for a demo as part of the local drag racing club's annual race. Dozens of racers show up, mostly from out of town. And they go head to head in front of hundreds of people, who travel across from as far away as the other side of the continent.

This is the first year that we're going to be exhibiting all our RC's in an actual sanctioned drag racing event.

---

On may 24th, the weather was just glorious and the track was about perfect for a run. Since the club was doing a test and tune, they gave us a half hour to do our own test and tune. My first (and only) run with the Funny car resulted in a 10.488 ET, with a (rather poor) 0.964 rt. It's been years since I've worked a tree and the rust was set in good. my 0-60ft was alright, with a 1.988 et.

All this was recorded on a RaceAmerica timing system on a measured 1/8th mile.
Sabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 09:49 AM   #105
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I too just received mine this past Thursday. I have never been a huge fan of funny cars however, it looks Soo cool I had too.

Last edited by biggdogg1972; 06-14-2014 at 09:53 PM.
biggdogg1972 is offline   Reply With Quote