R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-12-2012, 01:19 PM   #1051
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

With 50 entries and a hell of a competitive field, I absolutely agree... Scotty has the right formula for Amateur. I see no reason to move to a different turn motor.
JamesL_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 02:35 PM   #1052
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

i think the event was great as usual. the only thing i would change is in the Gran Spec GT Class all cars should have decals and full trim no trackside paint jobs. Scotty all ready mentioned having a concourse competition next year.

Also tire/wheels, these should be more realistic. The JACO wheels and tires were great but not very realistic. Maybe talks with HPI Racing for some pre-mounted X-Patterns should be in the future... Hint...Hint

how about something like this:
X-Patterns

Slicks

RC AMERICA || XRAY || HUDY|| ACTIVRC || HOBBYWING NA || PROTOFORM
Maxxican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 04:00 PM   #1053
Tech Master

Ok, Ok, the new classes will be "Faster than a Moose" and "Moose Speed or slower"

I'll be the bench mark. If you are faster than me you automatically get bumped up to the "Faster than a Moose" class. That should let me TQ a class.
Old 10-12-2012, 04:08 PM   #1054
Tech Elite

I think the reason Sam did so well at iic is a direct result of the time and effort this guy put in. He runs at one of the finest carpet tracks in the country,5280 raceway in Denver, co..... And as an observer, I would say Sam was at the track 4 to 5 times a week for the last couple of months. He also races regularly with other guys that push him to be better. Art Scrimo and Adam brown are both very talented and helpful racers...... Running weekly with a main caliber guys does nothing but push you to be better.

So come on out to Denver in April and see for yourself what I am talking about.

Ok, shameless plug/rant over.
al dente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 04:14 PM   #1055
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by al dente View Post
I think the reason Sam did so well at iic is a direct result of the time and effort this guy put in. He runs at one of the finest carpet tracks in the country,5280 raceway in Denver, co..... And as an observer, I would say Sam was at the track 4 to 5 times a week for the last couple of months. He also races regularly with other guys that push him to be better. Art Scrimo and Adam brown are both very talented and helpful racers...... Running weekly with a main caliber guys does nothing but push you to be better.

Plug or not, it's true that steel sharpens steel

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing."
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.
RedBullFiXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 04:15 PM   #1056
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry P View Post
If i had to guess spec GT took away some entries from F1 because most guys have a second touring car just sitting around. The speedo and motor handout helps put a car together that wasnt ready to run.
I'll admit, I was almost part of this group. I initially only signed up for amateur and spec GT. I hadn't fully committed to F1 for this year. Since I drove to Vegas and space was not an issue, I brought my F1 car with me. Upon learning of the low entry numbers for F1, I added my car to the mix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraig View Post
Not that I have persuasion in his decision's but we talked about the FGX car. Moral of the story, we shall see because he has time to announce the classes for next year. So you never know. Question, would a handout motor and speed control like this years Spec Grand Touring persuade you to run this class so you only had to worry about the other things?
First of all Kraig, it's nice to see the return of your avatar. Even if it is only for a limited time. I am curious. I know very little about the FGX. Can you say why it was shot down as an option for the IIC? If I had to guess, I'd say that the independent rear suspension gave it an unfair performance advantage over the solid rear axle most other cars use. Much like the reason the wider F103 was excluded in favor of the narrow F104 last year.

By offering up the addition of the FGX to next years lineup of allowed chassis, I am not implying that I am a fan of the idea. I am merely trying to get some discussion going on how we can salvage a class that started off with such promise last year.

As far as a hand out motor and esc for F1 goes, I can't speak for everyone, but for me, it wouldn't stop me from entering. Sure, I already have a motor and esc. But really, how hard is it to change those out? One set screw for the pinion (which would probably get changed several times over the week), two screws to hold the motor in, a piece of servo tape to hold the esc and a little soldering. Plus, I'm always a fan of anything that makes a race more about the man (or woman) behind the radio and less about the latest technological wonder they can put on their car.
Wyvern95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 04:34 PM   #1057
Tech Elite

I know i had to sit out the F1 class because of the ban on the FGX was pretty bummed when it was announced. We sold nearly 30 of them last season, so hope that they are allowed next year and I know some more NW would come down to race the F1 Class.
MAD916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 04:35 PM   #1058
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

It seems like the handout motor/ESC/fdr would make it easier for formula 1 in the fact you don't have to worry about finding a gear ratio. I know that time is already at a premium but it would be very cool to have a Spec GT endurance race on Friday night in addition to the A-Main or instead of. With the handout setup and the low FDR the cars could probably make 30 minutes easily. It would be even better if lights were required and the room lighting was dimmed considerably.
Special thanks to EMRFactory and VBC Racing.
linkless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 04:41 PM   #1059
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by al dente View Post

Sam had the Amateur field covered all week! Decided I wanted to see what this guy was all about. After meeting him I discovered he was a very nice humble guy! I have no problem getting smoked by a guy like that! I will have to try to catch him next year!
Old 10-12-2012, 05:44 PM   #1060
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxxican View Post
Also tire/wheels, these should be more realistic.
There's already a class with rules for that.

http://www.usvintagetransam.com/
* Cee Lo Dizzle, the Secizzle * Red Bull * Team Homies * Pintura de Negro Mate * USVTA #152
CraigMBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:26 PM   #1061
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by haywood View Post
Sam had the Amateur field covered all week! Decided I wanted to see what this guy was all about. After meeting him I discovered he was a very nice humble guy! I have no problem getting smoked by a guy like that! I will have to try to catch him next year!
As the person who has the pleasure of pitting beside Sam here at our track in Denver, I must agree. He is a great guy whose driving shows how much practice and time spent at the track can pay off. Super nice, very helpful, and pretty quick with a touring car

I know he is pretty upset about losing the Amateur main, but I think he should still hold his head pretty high given the number of comments in this thread alone about his driving and personality.

And as Mario said....come to our race at 5280 Raceway this next April and you will see why we had such great representation at Vegas! Great track, great pits, and Mario Ficco/Team CRC provided background music!

Destiny | LRP America | Protoform | Xenon/JFT | Gravity RC | Motiv | Sanwa | Max.FX
LloydLoar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:59 PM   #1062
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigMBA View Post
There's already a class with rules for that.

http://www.usvintagetransam.com/
Oh boy. Here we go again. Don't get me wrong. I've watched this class and do agree, it is pretty cool. I even tried my hand at it for a while. It wasn't until after I gave up on it that I figured out I was trying to get an asphalt setup to work on carpet. I blaimed my lack of experience and the hard rubber tires for me sliding all over the place.

Can I get a quick show of hands. Does anyone outside the US actually run USVTA? Part of the allure of this race, besides getting to spend a week in Vegas, is the chance to test your skills against people from other countries. After all, this is the International Indoor Championships. If noone from outside the US is going to participate, then aren't you better off going to a USVTA regional or national event where you have a better chance of getting good attendance? Fear of having low entry levels like we had in F1 this year is probably the biggest reason USVTA has not been added to the lineup.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:31 PM   #1063
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyvern95 View Post
Oh boy. Here we go again. Don't get me wrong. I've watched this class and do agree, it is pretty cool. I even tried my hand at it for a while. It wasn't until after I gave up on it that I figured out I was trying to get an asphalt setup to work on carpet. I blaimed my lack of experience and the hard rubber tires for me sliding all over the place.

Can I get a quick show of hands. Does anyone outside the US actually run USVTA? Part of the allure of this race, besides getting to spend a week in Vegas, is the chance to test your skills against people from other countries. After all, this is the International Indoor Championships. If noone from outside the US is going to participate, then aren't you better off going to a USVTA regional or national event where you have a better chance of getting good attendance? Fear of having low entry levels like we had in F1 this year is probably the biggest reason USVTA has not been added to the lineup.
Not here we go again. If you want to run on treaded tires, VTA is the answer. Nobody had ever ran Spec GT before anywhere. Having one set of odd spec tires won't improve the racing, but it will make life more complicated for the guys putting on the race.

IMO, no changes.
* Cee Lo Dizzle, the Secizzle * Red Bull * Team Homies * Pintura de Negro Mate * USVTA #152
CraigMBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 12:48 PM   #1064
Tech Adept

I agree. No changes.

As far as spec GT having never been run before, in this exact format, you're probably right. At it's heart, spec GT is still a 17.5 touring car class running the same Jaco blues all the other classes ran. The handout motor and esc and the limited FDR placed emphasis on a drivers tuning abilities and skills behind the wheel. Plus, the realistic bodies were a refreshing change of pace. With my first experience with RC racing being the Tamiya TCS races, this bit of realism was something I missed at other races. I had a blast running it and can't wait to do it again next year.
Old 10-13-2012, 12:55 PM   #1065
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

I'm surprised it needs to be said, but with Jaco as a title sponsor, I would be very very surprised if any other TC tire were used, unless HPI steps up with a big sponsorship for next year. If jaco made F1 tires, I assure you they would be spec.