R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-12-2012, 08:29 AM   #361
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyvern95 View Post
Seriously? $500 for a speedo. I said it once, I'll say it again. Lighten up. They're toy cars. If you're spending that kind of money on a speedo, you're either running mod, a pro or both. If you are running mod, I wouldn't worry about your current setup. Mod is mod. Pretty much anything goes. If you're not running mod, then you're most likely suffering from a severe case of speedo envy. I can't help you with that.
Many top of the line ESC's are in the $220 range these days. $500 isn't hard to imagine if you're driving two different cars or classes and want to buy two. Plus you have to buy the programming box and update cable which adds another $50+ depending on the brand.

Some people are more serious about their hobbies than others. Being nonchalant and drinking beers between rounds is definitely one approach, and probably a very fun one, but it's not necessarily what everybody is looking for from their IIC experience.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 09:03 AM   #362
Tech Elite
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
Many top of the line ESC's are in the $220 range these days. $500 isn't hard to imagine if you're driving two different cars or classes and want to buy two. Plus you have to buy the programming box and update cable which adds another $50+ depending on the brand.

Some people are more serious about their hobbies than others. Being nonchalant and drinking beers between rounds is definitely one approach, and probably a very fun one, but it's not necessarily what everybody is looking for from their IIC experience.
Good post.What are the Esc's in question?
Jamison R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 11:14 AM   #363
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

These are all valid posts and I can't argue with that. However, because this event will have participants from around the world we have to look at more than just the speed controls that we are accustomed to in the U.S. With that said thank you for your patience.

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.

Sometimes I post just to look at my avatar.
Kraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 11:22 AM   #364
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesL_71 View Post
Im pretty sure artwork's initial post was based on the premise that, if we were just following the ROAR speedo rules there would be no extra list required. Specifying that there will be a list of allowable ESCs, rather than just using ROAR rules, means one of two things:

1) There are one of more ESCs on the ROAR list that will not be allowed (unlikely, IMO)

2) There are one or more ESCs not currently on the ROAR list that will be allowed
I would imagine it is probably more like the 2nd option.
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 11:40 AM   #365
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraig View Post
These are all valid posts and I can't argue with that. However, because this event will have participants from around the world we have to look at more than just the speed controls that we are accustomed to in the U.S. With that said thank you for your patience.
Kraig,

With all due respect ..

I don't know of many manufacturers that have not sent in their speed control for ROAR testing (US and International). Not all have passed however, meaning they have failed the following basic requirement.

"Speed Controllers eligible for Sportsman Class racing must be capable of providing ZERO Timing Advance along with disabling Advanced Motor Control Functions (i.e. Boost, Cheat Mode, Turbo, SuperCharge, etc)."

I can think of one manufacturer that has failed multiple times and therefore is not on the ROAR list. Taking a manufacturer by their word, without subjecting the ESC to any type of testing has proven to be un-reliable and the cause of controversy in years past.

There is a place for ESC's that do not meet the requirements of "blinky", it's mod racing. IMHO, allowing un-approved ESC's to race along approved ESC's threatens the credibility of what spec racing is meant to be.
ByteStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 12:15 PM   #366
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

IIC was the first place we all learned about turbo (17.5 1/12 with 2nd gear down the straight).. now all we want to do is ensure there is a level playing field. Nothing more.. nothing less.
FJ / ROAR #2-122945 / MaxRotation FPV Drone Racing / [email protected] Awesomatix USA / Wild Turbo Fan / Mon-Tech Racing / RocheRC USA / Side Piece /
LRP / John's BSR Tires / TeamEAM / TQ Wire / R1 / Team Scream / PCR / MIX
RacerLog wiki Awesomatix A700 / 2wd offroad 4 life
hanulec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 01:05 PM   #367
Tech Adept

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByteStream View Post
"Speed Controllers eligible for Sportsman Class racing must be capable of providing ZERO Timing Advance along with disabling Advanced Motor Control Functions (i.e. Boost, Cheat Mode, Turbo, SuperCharge, etc)."

There is a place for ESC's that do not meet the requirements of "blinky", it's mod racing. IMHO, allowing un-approved ESC's to race along approved ESC's threatens the credibility of what spec racing is meant to be.
I agree whole heartedly. Well put ByteStream.

As an amateur racer, I believe that sportsman level racing should be decided by how well a driver can wheel their machine. Not by how much money they pour into it, trying to gain whatever technological advantage they can. The amateur class with hand out motor was ment to alleviate this problem and help create a level playing field. With speedo technology advancing the way it is and the number of different manufactures making them, maybe it's time to take the idea of the hand out motor to the next level.

I call for a step back in time, and a return to the 3 step mechanical speed control ...

Had you going there for a second, didn't I?

But seriously. If we, as a group of racers, cannot make a gentlemens agreement to abide by the intent of the blinky class rules, ie no timing, no boost, no nothing in in the esc (only the timing changes allowed in the motor without changing parts to allow more timing), then, maybe it's time for a class were the esc choice is out of our hands. Leave all the fancy timing adjustments to the mod class were they belong.
Wyvern95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 01:16 PM   #368
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:
But seriously. If we, as a group of racers, cannot make a gentlemens agreement to abide by the intent of the blinky class rules, ie no timing, no boost, no nothing in in the esc (only the timing changes allowed in the motor without changing parts to allow more timing), then, maybe it's time for a class were the esc choice is out of our hands. Leave all the fancy timing adjustments to the mod class were they belong.
+1
IIC did it right in 2008 with handout motors. The only model better is ETS...
FJ / ROAR #2-122945 / MaxRotation FPV Drone Racing / [email protected] Awesomatix USA / Wild Turbo Fan / Mon-Tech Racing / RocheRC USA / Side Piece /
LRP / John's BSR Tires / TeamEAM / TQ Wire / R1 / Team Scream / PCR / MIX
RacerLog wiki Awesomatix A700 / 2wd offroad 4 life
hanulec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 01:43 PM   #369
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

You guys are totally missing the fact that there have been multiple very important questions asked that have been unanswered by the promoter himself.....class,speedo,getting finished at a decent time...only to name the few that are important to me! So if these go unanswered long enough he knows that most will just buy plane tickets and hope everything will be addressed.
I'm sure their will be the same few that will want to change the subject,argue or put their spin on it. And to those few...I say take the knee pads off and let Scotty answer for himself. Danny
signguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 03:32 PM   #370
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to EAMotorsports

Quote:
Kraig,

I can think of one manufacturer that has failed multiple times and therefore is not on the ROAR list. Taking a manufacturer by their word, without subjecting the ESC to any type of testing has proven to be un-reliable and the cause of controversy in years past.
Actually there are Two speedo's that have failed the blinky test...Once each. One of those is still not on the list due to what ever reason...but it has passed since the wave pattern test (zero timing) since its first time it failed.

EA
EAMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 03:33 PM   #371
Tech Adept

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRACKSIDE View Post
As always if you have any more questions, please let me know.

Thanks
Scotty
[email protected]
A very smart man once said the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

Posting your questions on this forum obviously hasn't been working for you. If you haven't already tried, why don't you try emailing Scotty directly.

Whoops. Little slow on the submit button. In case there is any confusion on who this post was directed at, it wasn't you EA. It was ment to try and help the gentleman who posted immediately before you - signguy

Last edited by Wyvern95; 08-12-2012 at 04:03 PM.
Wyvern95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 04:05 PM   #372
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ground-round View Post
.... It would suck to have to buy a new speedo on top of all the other last minute expenses we have before we go.
So true!

Quote:
...I'll be using the same speedo I used last year coupled with the chassis I used at my first IIC four years ago. And that chassis was discontinued back then. As long as I have a clean race, I'll be happy bringing up the rear of whatever class I'm in...
Same here, old car, old speedo. Just hoping to go have fun. If I finish second to last but have fun, I'll be fine with that. Dead last isn't going to be fun in any way! Now if I do better that will make the drive home so much better.

Quote:
...As an amateur racer, I believe that sportsman level racing should be decided by how well a driver can wheel their machine. Not by how much money they pour into it, trying to gain whatever technological advantage they can. The amateur class with hand out motor was ment to alleviate this problem and help create a level playing field. With speedo technology advancing the way it is and the number of different manufactures making them, maybe it's time to take the idea of the hand out motor to the next level...
Point well taken. I also like the fact that the tires are at one set for the amateur class. When I see racers building multiple sets of race wheels at the local level on a weekly basis (this by no means is the intent of amateur racing) it is a tough pill to swallow. I use tires until the threads start to show. I guess this what makes my learning curve so slow while others progress really fast.

Mr. Shookie goes home 10-06-08. Bill Levinson 4-14-15
F. Mendoza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 04:53 PM   #373
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAMotorsports View Post
Actually there are Two speedo's that have failed the blinky test...Once each. One of those is still not on the list due to what ever reason...but it has passed since the wave pattern test (zero timing) since its first time it failed.

EA
Thanks for the clarification EA. Can you mention which speedo should be on the list but is not at this point in time?
ByteStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 05:38 PM   #374
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Thumbs up

cant wait for the race. this will be my first big race and as of now my 4th on road race ever ive raced plenty of off road but new too on road. im signed up for amateur 17.5 sedan but now im thinking of buying a 1/12 to run as a second class. cant wait too see all you guys. anything i should know about? ive ran carpet once over at TQ Raceway and found it quite easy and laptime wise was faster then there "fast" sportsman guys.
Tamiya TRF101
ckfactory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 07:41 PM   #375
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

Quote:
Kraig,

With all due respect ..

I don't know of many manufacturers that have not sent in their speed control for ROAR testing (US and International). Not all have passed however, meaning they have failed the following basic requirement.

I am following what you are saying. However, let us do our due diligence on this before we jump to conclusion's and assume because we know how that turns out. As soon as the list is finalized it will be posted.

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.

Sometimes I post just to look at my avatar.
Kraig is offline   Reply With Quote