M8 vs R1 vs 3PK

Hey i am going to get one of these radios

Cant decide love them all

Looking towards the R1

Whats better. Why?

Cheers
Old 02-05-2005, 06:02 AM
Tech Adept

Two things to take into consideration. The R1 is heavy, and the M8 amp draw is very high.

I don't have any experience with the R1, but the M8 and 3PK are both good transmitters.

/Arvid Stenberg
Old 02-05-2005, 06:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

None of them. Get a Helios. All the features of the others and it is the lightest and most comfortable.
Just ask to try on you will love the helios too.
If not I would say M8 only because it was my last radio and it doesn't look like a radar gun.....Besides the Spektrum is already out for it now....Why wait...LOL
Stephen <><
Old 02-05-2005, 06:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

I had an M8 until lastyear at the Snowbirds and I tried out Rob Loves. It was over I was convinced, Helios it was. I will never look back again. The M8 was awesome but the Helios with the drop down, all that can be said is WOW!

Try one and you will love it. But if not the M8 is the radio to get. The R1 is heavy and the 3PK is just weird looking. But any of them will do, they are all top notch.

Later,
Old 02-05-2005, 07:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I don't know...I didn't feel the R1 was all that much heavier than the M8...it certaily didn't feel heavier in my hands because the M8 was top-heavy and the R1 ws well balanced witht he weight in the center...

Botht he M8 and R1 are dated esigns though and are overdue for a makeover to keep up withthe Helios and the 3PK...

i've heard nothing but good things about the 3PK and the Helios, and I don't know..I might be aloneon this..but with all the funky curves..the Helios is a little funny looking too...

Prices were low onthe M8's up until the Spektrum module released, now the market seems to have them back in demand.

The Helios doesn't seem to show up very often at all on the USed market..a sign that those that are trying them are keeping them...

There area few 3PK's floating around right now....some of them I'm sure ffrom impatient people who don't want to wait until March for their Spektrum modules so are switching to M8 (out now) or KO (due Feb 14)....

I have a 3PK on its way...and I'll gladly wait until March for my Spektrum...
Old 02-05-2005, 07:11 AM
Regional Moderator

Originally posted by Mr. Shookie
None of them. Get a Helios.
I vote for this too
Old 02-05-2005, 07:23 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

id say get the helios. I was debating getting the 3pk, helios or the m8, and i got the helios because it was well balanced, it looked futuristic, and it had all the same features cheaper then the m8 or 3pk. Plus, it comes with an extremely tiny reciever that can handle any mode (normal, HRS, and super hrs). I know the m8 is basically the "standard" in race technology, but the ko is definately coming up the rankings too.

As for the r1, i dont have very much personal experience with it, but with that big screen, i would feel that my hands would be cramped behind it.

As for the 3pk, its good, but i heard many people say it takes a little while to get used to getting around the functions of the radio.

Now for my opinion on the m8, great radio, awesome features, top heavy, and too common.

But that is my opinion. Id say try each radio first, like holding it and feeling how everything works, and then really make your decision if possible
Old 02-05-2005, 07:40 AM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

R-1 might be dated but when you make one of the best you don't need to change every week like most of these radio companies. I have used them all and the R-1 is for the best. All the other radios are very nice and would be fine for high level racing. Try to find one of each and ask the user if you can hold it and see how it feels to you. Then make your choice.

Everyones opinions vary and you are going to get many different answers for this. All that matters is if you like it!!!!!!!!!

R-1, Helios, M8, and 3PK are all top of the line and anyone will be awesome. The Spectrum is available for all of them in the next few weeks so that really won't be a consideration.
Old 02-05-2005, 07:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

There is no shortage of room for your hands behind the big screen on the R1......

The look of the Helios actually was holding me back a bit..it looked a little too futuristic for my tastes...but that doesn't take away from it being a super radio.

When I contacted KO tech support prior to buying my Multiplex they were very insistent on not recommending 3rd party receivers...

One thing that I did really like about the Helios is the option of using the PC to navigate, setup and store the individual profiles in the radio
Old 02-05-2005, 07:59 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Mr. Shookie
None of them. Get a Helios. All the features of the others and it is the lightest and most comfortable.
Just ask to try on you will love the helios too.
If not I would say M8 only because it was my last radio and it doesn't look like a radar gun.....Besides the Spektrum is already out for it now....Why wait...LOL
Stephen <><

just returned from my lhs.bought the helios.all i can say is..........WOW .get the helios.the receiver is so tiny.i cant believe my eyes .my vote,get the helios.enough said.u wont be dissapointed
Old 02-05-2005, 08:14 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I've had an R1 for about 3 or 4 yrs now. Theres plenty of features on it i still havent used, and i cant think of any features that i would want it to have that it doesnt.

the one feature i use the most is being able to turn it on without sending out a signal, i dont know if other radios do that im sure they do, but i really like being able to switch models or change some settings in the pits or waiting to get on the stand with out interfering with other people on the same channel

It fits my hand nicely, thats why i baught it instead of a futaba or M8.

I will say tho, after using it for so long, everytime i go to drive someone elses car, no radio feels right, they either feel top heavy, or my hand feels naked without the screen there, or it feels too light, but im sure that happens to anyone who has used the same radio for a long time.

depending on what radio your stepping up from, any of the ones you have listed will be fine, when i baught my R1 the hobby shop i went to let me play around with all the radios they had on display before i made my decsion which was nice.
Old 02-05-2005, 08:56 AM
Tech Adept

Helios all the way!
Exeptional radio, top performance and comfort. IMO this is the standard for radio performance now, JR and Airtronics need to completely update their radios to keep up with te 3PK and Helios.
Spektrum soon, can't wait it will be awesome. Only downside is the huge reciever compared to the one i have now.
Old 02-05-2005, 09:41 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Erlend
Helios all the way!
Exeptional radio, top performance and comfort. IMO this is the standard for radio performance now, JR and Airtronics need to completely update their radios to keep up with te 3PK and Helios.
Spektrum soon, can't wait it will be awesome. Only downside is the huge reciever compared to the one i have now.

yup.the standard receiver is a big plus and the jog dial makes setting it so much easier.it is better than pressing the same button over and over again.GO HELIOS
Old 02-05-2005, 09:59 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Ok maybe the R1 is a bit harder to navigate through the programs than an M8 or Helios,but as far as needing to up date the R1, just what does it NOT do that you would want it to do..I thought it had too many features as it is..I own 3 of the Radios listed,An M8,JR R1pro and a Helios,I like all of them..But I use the Helios and M8 the most.
Old 02-05-2005, 10:05 AM
Tech Addict

This one's easy!
I would also say the Helios
I also have it, the only thing I had to buy extra was the multiangle wheel extension unit, Which comes standard with the others.
But also the extension unit is better than the rest, you can change the angle of the wheel, so the wheel doesn't have to be straight on the transmitter (what I like).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.