R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-29-2012, 11:23 AM   #46
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Lessen

I don't play xbox. Im a Sony guy.

Anyways, sorry for being so sharp. My point was that motor has nothing to do with the topic because it is not relevant. If I swap my 17.5 for a mod can it will have the exact same handling characteristics. I've read many of posts where folks argue that stock classes require MORE attention to momentum because of their lack of power. Those types of statements indicate to me that people seem willing to sacrifice cornering ability because they can "make it up". The reality is that momentum is key in ALL classes in order to be competitive, not just lower powered classes. I think maybe the perspective is skewed simply because there are a lot of stock drivers that race well so "racing" becomes crucial. There are significantly less really good mod drivers so in many cases "catch up" is sufficient.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:34 AM   #47
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

With any chassis, won't there be a limit to the amount of corner speed you can carry, and the amount of traction you can have? As such, I think you can be at that limit with blinky 17.5, but since the motor power isn't too high, you don't have to back off that much to be at the limit of corner speed you can carry. However, with mod, the limit for corner speed is far below the power of the motor (and the speed you will get on the straights), which (to me) is why Art's statements make sense. It isn't that mod cars corner slower than 17.5 cars, it is that the difference between corner speed and straight line speed is far greater with a mod car, which is why it comes across as more of a "point and shoot" driving style. That gap between corner speed and straight line speed is far smaller with a 17.5 car, which is why it turns into more of a "carry corner speed" driving style. Does that make any sense?

The cornering speed isn't different, it is the difference between the cornering speed and the straight line speed that creates the "changes" in driving style. I am a new(er) racer though, so feel free to chew my statements apart if you think they are wrong or don't make sense.
LloydLoar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 11:41 AM   #48
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampRC View Post
Do you guys ever find yourselves instead of braking into the corner or letting completely off the throttle, pulsing the throttle moderately into it then out of the corner?

Probably a bad habit, but its help me deal with the corners better...
When I started doing this I had a bad habit of "popping" the steering wheel on exit. I didn't even realize I was doing it until a local fast guy pointed it out. I've nearly kicked the habit and I drive considerably more consistent now. That's not quite the same thing as what you're doing but it is similar in that making abrupt changes like that really throws around the cars' weight. When your throttle and steering inputs become smoother I think you'll find yourself driving more consistent lines and laptimes because the car will begin to feel more predictable.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:51 AM   #49
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LloydLoar View Post
With any chassis, won't there be a limit to the amount of corner speed you can carry, and the amount of traction you can have? As such, I think you can be at that limit with blinky 17.5, but since the motor power isn't too high, you don't have to back off that much to be at the limit of corner speed you can carry. However, with mod, the limit for corner speed is far below the power of the motor (and the speed you will get on the straights), which (to me) is why Art's statements make sense. It isn't that mod cars corner slower than 17.5 cars, it is that the difference between corner speed and straight line speed is far greater with a mod car, which is why it comes across as more of a "point and shoot" driving style. That gap between corner speed and straight line speed is far smaller with a 17.5 car, which is why it turns into more of a "carry corner speed" driving style. Does that make any sense?

The cornering speed isn't different, it is the difference between the cornering speed and the straight line speed that creates the "changes" in driving style. I am a new(er) racer though, so feel free to chew my statements apart if you think they are wrong or don't make sense.
I believe you are correct Lloyd. I was probably taking his points too literally, but your rendition of explanation makes sense to me even though you're probably making the same point as art. I think we're on the same page.

I don't know if driving style change is necessary because I've never run mod or SS, but I would imagine that accuracy is substantially more difficult to manage.
Old 03-29-2012, 12:19 PM   #50
Tech Master

OP- add a little drag break, and roll the car through the corner applying throttle as soon as possible. I do the same in stock and mod just with different setups. Finger break imo should only be used if you are trying to get underneath a driver in front of you or to keep you from over shooting a corner.

Texas EOS 2018!
Chris Adams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 01:00 PM   #51
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Things to also consider:

A lot of braking also creates heat in the motor so in spec classes were we gear motors to the max can result in a smoking motor in the 4 min mark.
+
Rolling into corners can also increased tyre wear so ur handling will be out by the 4 min mark

=
Who ever gets the right recipe on a given track wins
Old 03-29-2012, 01:30 PM   #52
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to L.Fairtrace

This thread is infomative. Its telling me I should always be on throttle or on brakes. At the same time coasting through the corner at the right speed and never hitting the brakes unless I blow a corner.

Glad that is all cleared up.

180 and 360 Raceway. Best on the East Coast. Take your pick
L.Fairtrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 01:32 PM   #53
Tech Elite

"Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way...turn."
rtypec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 02:20 PM   #54
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I think setup helps define your driving style.. I like my car to push a bit more than most would like, but I'm on throttle later into the corner than most, then I brake very hard indeed and trail brake into the corner then floor it at the apex.

The car wouldn't turn in as hard without trail braking, the trick is to not create any tire scrub whilst doing this and not scrub off corner speed, although the hard launch off the late apex usually makes up for time lost in a touch of tire scrub on entry.

I must admit though this is a constantly evolving thing and I'm sure in a year or so i'll have changed my style accordingly as I've only been racing a year and i'm by no means particularly quick although I can hold my own.
Old 03-29-2012, 04:35 PM   #55
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to JustWill75

I learned alot from this thread so far. I race in VTA and have been working on my driving style and habits. I used to use drag break but now I realize that im much faster with out it. I also realize for me I let off on corner entry and get back on throtle as quickly as possible. For me it realy depends on the layout but I only use brakes to correct entry speed, hairpins and avoiding bad drivers with 4 foot wide turning lanes

I like the idea of switching cars with other people to see what others are doing and see what I like and dont like. I drive a TC6 against a lot of Xray and Serpents drivers.

I would love to see some pro tips for better driving techniques
Old 03-29-2012, 04:39 PM   #56
Suspended

Exclamation

Hope we were of some help to those who have not won the Reedy Race yet !!! Very informative indeed !!!
bertrandsv87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 05:09 PM   #57
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 119 (100%+)

When I used to race a lot a decade ago maybe 2, LOL my driving style changes depending on the diff I am running, if running a one way up front I would roll into corners, I do this because if you try braking hard with a one way it is harder to keep it straight as the rear want to break lose as it is the only tires that are braking, I would normally run a one way if most of the corners are more of the sweeping ones and not much of U turns.

I would brake hard into corners when running a ball diff up front, I use this when the track has a lot of sharp turns or U turns because for me if I try rolling into sharp turn the car may push more and take the trun to wide.

What do I know these days though as a lot has changed.
Kaifd3s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 06:57 PM   #58
Tech Addict

Great discussion

What popped into my head as I read it was a phrase my driving instructor always said "brake,set your wheel, & accelerate into the turn"
Of course that was "back in the day"
Old 03-29-2012, 07:46 PM   #59
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&B RC View Post
Great discussion

What popped into my head as I read it was a phrase my driving instructor always said "brake,set your wheel, & accelerate into the turn"
Of course that was "back in the day"
Thats what I have been practicing with some good results so far. All braking done in the straight before the turn in and gradually adding throttle from corner entry to apex and hard acceleration from apex to corner exit. It really helps when your rear is a little loose because the weight is transferred to the rear before the weight shifts laterally to the outside of the car. You have to be precise though. Too much too early and you push into a wide corner exit that may cause you to lift and lose the time you gained.
Serpent S120 13.5
6376vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 07:47 PM   #60
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustWill75 View Post
I learned alot from this thread so far. I race in VTA and have been working on my driving style and habits. I used to use drag break but now I realize that im much faster with out it. I also realize for me I let off on corner entry and get back on throtle as quickly as possible. For me it realy depends on the layout but I only use brakes to correct entry speed, hairpins and avoiding bad drivers with 4 foot wide turning lanes

I like the idea of switching cars with other people to see what others are doing and see what I like and dont like. I drive a TC6 against a lot of Xray and Serpents drivers.

I would love to see some pro tips for better driving techniques
You forgot the sakuras.
Serpent S120 13.5
6376vette is offline   Reply With Quote