Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Formulae of Stock Racing

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2005, 12:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

From what I gathered in the first few replies, most racers enjoy having the ability to adjust the speed of their motors and wouldn't enjoy more side by side racing because of the anticipated hacking that comes along with it. Unfortunitely, I agree. We have a fairly low set of expectations for our fellow drivers. It would be great IMO to find a way to improve the racers skills by way of a more challenging class, as very few racers have the time to practice outside of raceday.
Old 01-27-2005, 12:50 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

It's not that i have such low expectations of my fellow drivers,I dont have much faith in most race directors,The reasons are: Most club races dont have any form of tech,dont stop aggressive driving,wont put a stop to some of the language,Alot of you guys are of the opinion that it's not the race directors job.. I have been racing for a few years and have come to the conclusion that people will get away with what you let them get away with.One of the tracks I race at runs the best program i have raced at,they do tech,not all the time but they do have all the equipment,Hacking..they put a stop to it quick..one warning,do it again it's a stop and go..three times and your out..of that race.I know in racing your going to bump,you do run into each other,but when someone intentional takes a person out..all the time and the race director does nothing about it,thats BS,because eventually their will be a fight.I just feel that if some of the race directors step up and demand clean driving it would help everything,If you lose a loud mouth hack the odds are you will gain 10 more racers.just an opinion
Old 01-27-2005, 01:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Originally Quoted By: xxxkat
I just feel that if some of the race directors step up and demand clean driving it would help everything,If you lose a loud mouth hack the odds are you will gain 10 more racers.just an opinion
xxxkat - I couldn't have said it better. I agree with you whole heartedly. I've been saying the same thing. I race at a track, well I won't mention the name or location, but I have seen the attendence over the last few years decrease to pratically nothing. And 90% can be attributed to too many drivers just driving through people instead of trying to make a clean pass. I have raced at a lot of tracks, some good and some bad. The good ones always have a race director orchestrating the fun level. They let you know up front that you are going to have a great day of racing or you will be asked to leave. The bad tracks have lousy race directors and they just allow the racers to bash everyone on the track. Look at it this way. If you have a track that has a good number of novice drivers and they have no ideal of how they are supposed to conduct themselves at a club race or big event and they start racing at a track with a lousy race director who doesn't call hacking or bashing. WHAT KIND OF DRIVER DO YOU THINK HE WILL BECOME.
I don't think this is the solution to what Greg Sharpe proposed, but I do think it's a great start IMO!
Sorry I just had to vent when I saw what xxxkat posted.
Old 01-27-2005, 03:14 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

I think what Greg proposed could work,but so many tracks have tried spec racing and had it fail,For the reasons above.I did not mean to vent but I think its what's killing RC racing.
Old 01-27-2005, 04:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I agree with both of you, on all those points. A good race director certainly makes racing more fun, not only by being there to hold us up to a more sportsman like conduct, but also by making the race interesting for the spectators; Spectators who may be the next new racer on the following raceday. Also, I believe spec racing is a good idea but will never achieve the stated goal with current selection of motors and batteries. (We should give props to the organizers of spec, as they work hard to achieve a difficult ideal).

My interest in this topic was to first find out if anyone would be interested in running door to door, and secondly to discuss ways to achieve door to door racing. On that note.....

If all stock class vehicles had equal power output, this would ensure the winners chassis setup and driving skills were the more determinant variable in that winning effort. But how can we ensure this equallity while using batteries and motors with inherent manufacturing tolerances.

In current form, we use our motors to the fullest extent. We ask our motors to pull the biggest gear possible for that track. It is easy to see the difference between a good and bad motor setup. While we do not use our batteries to their fullest extent, we certainly notice the difference between matched and unmatched batteries. Even among matched packs, batteries of varying voltage output are the most notcieble difference.

In order for all stock cars to be of equal power output, a change of hardware that doesn't allow the full potential of batteries and motors would need to be instituted. Does such hardware exist? If it did, would this be viable for our industry? Would battery and motor development and sales slow due to this change in formulae? Those are huge questions. As such, any discussion is welcomed. This is a forum after all!

Keep in mind, this question revolves around making stock cars equally powerfull. (in case you only read the cliff notes version of my post)