R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-24-2001, 04:22 PM   #16
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Wolfeman09: The car still is popular around here. Civic91, Lowrance both own one and so do many others around this area. The difference is that now a days the car really isn't expensive. I didn't think it was all that bad back when I bought mine. I only paid $250 for it at UltimateHobbies, and that was RoadRunner's/Elite's top of the line pro kit. So I'm not sure where the rumour that the car cost alot got started.

Last edited by Darkseid; 09-25-2001 at 12:43 PM.
Darkseid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2001, 09:47 PM   #17
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

When I say parts availability I mean LOCAL HOBBY SHOPS! , If I cannot walk into one of the 4 hobbyshops I visit regularly and get parts I don't want the car..period. AND BTW I believe hpi's newest car is the poorest quality of any car I have seen in recent years. I personnally like the TC3, TA04-R (which I own both), X-Ray T1, Yok MR4 special, and the XXX-s. All of which have excellent parts availability and following on this side of the country(heck in the entire country). I will also have a second of the first two and at least one of the others in January.

I never doubted the quality of Express cars, but only one shop in all of the US carries the car/parts, and it happens to be on the right coast.

BTW: CIVIC91 aren't you the one who went in the TL01 thread and tried to rain on those guys parade??? .... and now ......LOL

Pitman for Team Dallas Austin...
IMPACTPLAYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2001, 06:09 AM   #18
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Speedworld hobbies in Sacramento has a full line of parts for the car. Call him at (916) 783-8864. The shop is closed for one week though because the owner is going to the Norrca nats today. He will be back on Monday. A bunch of us ran the car and it is fast if set up right. I think he sells it for $220 (not sure though)
Old 09-25-2001, 01:05 PM   #19
Regional Moderator

IMPACTPLAYR: The Xray T1 has great parts support on that side of the country ??? What country??? Not this one. I still hear people on the Xray thread talking about where to find parts.

XXX-S -where do you find your parts. Because I'm sure Lowrance would like to know. Nearly every part he has tried ordering for the car has been on back order.

TA04-R -come on! I guess your hobbyshops are really different than ours. I haven't seen a shop stocking parts for a Tamiya race car in a long time.

I hope you don't think I'm going after you or flaming you. Its just the whole idea of what your saying is odd to me and kind of unrealistic. I just think that ANY competitive racer that says they have never mail ordered or had the local shop special order ANYTHING is full of crap.....PERIOD! Theres simply no way that any shop, even the big warehouse shops, can carry every part you need for ANY car on hand all the time! Its financially impossible!

I am the type that loves the cars that you say you simply don't want. I know the cars I buy wont have local support. That also means that there wont be twenty or thirty others at the track with the same car as me. But, I know how to use the telephone to order parts, so whats the problem. I can also have the local shop special order the parts for me with is just as good as having local support.

I know your saying, but the parts aren't there if I break something while racing. Well thats why as an informed racer, I found out what parts are vunerable from people who already owned it. Then I make sure that have extras of those parts on hand incase I break something. Simple, huh?

I see what your saying about wanting local support. And it makes sense in some ways. It also carries with it some drawbacks. But, if you don't mind seeing thirty others with the same car, then I guess there are no drawbacks at all!

Thats just not me. I like being hopefully the only person at my track with my car. Very, very...
Old 09-25-2001, 05:56 PM   #20
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to wolfeman09 Send a message via Yahoo to wolfeman09

Dark > I think it started when i bought the car at $299. Every single hop was very expensive, to me at least. In addition, back in the day, they were like Yokomo releasing updates on the car every month. One of them was a new rear aluminuim bulkhead. I think that thing was like 70 bucks.

I still like the car and actually let my nephew race it when he comes with me. The only really hop up it needs is to replace the Graphite Hinge Pins (great idea ) and at the the time, the new beafer plastic things that go into the front hubs. Cant think of the proper name at the time.
wolfeman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2001, 06:29 PM   #21
Tech Fanatic

Location: Beautiful Downtown L.A. Where the sky is always on fire and the grass is always brown
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to minicooper Send a message via Yahoo to minicooper

Those stinking plastic rings break so easy! I actually bought a metal diff for my xpress
minicooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2001, 06:44 PM   #22
Tech Addict

Wolfman and I used to run those cars pretty well!! With the reenforced ball cup ends, they were pretty strong and fast!!

The reason that I sold mine, was because I switched jobs, and Ultimate hobbies was no longer just five minutes away, now more like an hour plus, and the TC3 came out............
rto997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2001, 09:46 PM   #23
Tech Elite

Let's see, RCO the place I will be racing this winter, carries all the Tamiya spares I will ever need(if I ever need any, this car is tough)

The track in Gaithersburg has had every part I have ever broken in graphite and composite, and RCO also has at least 10 sets of each suspension part in composite.

The track has had x-ray part in stock since just after they got the second car in, granted not alot, but some. There is also a hobby shop farther towards DC that carries nothing but serpent and mugen cars and parts...BTW has anyone concidered going to corally for the parts, they do use the same suspension piece, and the impulse uses the same stock too........

BTW..the MIMI at THE TRACK seems to be able to get parts that most other shops can't and well before most also...

I also don't add any hop-up unless I am absolutely sure it will help the cars preformance....except for blue screws, because everybody knows BLUE IS FASTER!!!!!!!!

ALSO as you may notice from my list of cars I will have plenty of back-ups so......LOL

Old 09-26-2001, 12:36 AM   #24
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by IMPACTPLAYR
BTW has anyone concidered going to corally for the parts, they do use the same suspension piece, and the impulse uses the same stock too........
The Xray does not use the same suspension parts as the Serpent/Corally cars. They look similar, but they are not interchangable.

Trips
Old 09-26-2001, 03:47 AM   #25
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to Flash Gordan Send a message via Yahoo to Flash Gordan

Quote:
Originally posted by Darkside
That also means that there wont be twenty or thirty others at the track with the same car as me.

I own a Xpress and I love checking out the pits when I go race. Cause all I see are TC3's and XXX-s's. I know when I go race I'm a unique individual.
The only problem I have with my car is that there isn't a whole lot of internet support. Check out the associated or losi websites or any other r/c website and you'll get pages and pages of information, like assembly instructions or tech tips. If you can find anything it's by looking in other places and not on the site. Don't get me wrong, but the http://www.rc-xpress.com website looks nice but there isn't a whole lot there.
Flash Gordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2001, 02:09 PM   #26
Regional Moderator

Wolfeman09: When I owned my Xpress, it came with metal diffs, so I didn't have any problems with that. I never bought any hopeups for my Xpress. It was just like my current Corally, pretty much perfect out of the box.

IMPACTPLAYR: I guess your hobbyshops are a lot different than the ones here.

As for backups. I have a Schumacher '99pro that still handles as well as all the "modern" touring cars out there. Since my Corally and Schumacher never break(or atleast haven't yet) I don't really have to worry about local support.

Trips is right, the Xray has its own unique suspension arms and linkages.
Old 09-29-2001, 03:16 PM   #27
Tech Rookie

Send a message via ICQ to Hairball Send a message via AIM to Hairball Send a message via Yahoo to Hairball

I've got an Xpress Pro Mike Swauger edition (the newest) and an Xpress Pro '98.

They are both great cars, and hardly ever break. I bought the newer one off of ebay for $120. Not a bad deal at all.

And for all of you out there that think Xpress cars are expensive, think about this. Box stock an Xpress is pretty much fully hopped up, and ready to race, just add a body, and probably tires. The only thing that you could add would be a front / mid one-way if thats the way you like to run your car. $220 (give or take $10).

Now, to get the same level of car in a XXX-S, you're going to buy a stock one for about $200, then add another $100+ worth of graphite and aluminum upgrades thanks to Losi's jacked up business plan to get it to be as cool as an Xpress is stock unless you buy the Xpress Junior (why would you though?).

A factory team TC3 is what, around $280?

Xpress cars and relativey cheap, and good strong cars. And the fact that I get to be the only one at the track running one.
Hairball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2001, 08:24 PM   #28
Tech Apprentice

what about parts availability? are you guys familiar with neo maximum NR4 and type M? are they similar to xpress or better?
Garapata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2001, 07:35 AM   #29
Tech Elite

I'm not sure, but I believe America's Hobby Center is about the only place that carries Neo, and if you have ever dealt with them before they are kinda finicky and usually drop what they carry after about a year...meaning parts and cars.....

That is where I got my bad taste for mail order.....