R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-11-2005, 11:40 AM   #166
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)
Send a message via MSN to Dasupacat1

Quote:
Originally Posted by alang
Has anyone else tried the APS step charging, and if so what did you use the factory settings or something else?

Also, When you are checking motors with the dyno part how long do you need to run the motor for during the test?
I don't use the step. Don't think it will give any benefits.
I test my motors for 10 sec. It gives enough time for the motor to spool up to max. rpm's
Dasupacat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 03:58 PM   #167
Tech Adept

Exclamation

I'll try to answer the questions I can...

The motor run feature will prolly cut off because of lack of power from the power supply... There is not a cutoff. So far it has worked fine wiht my lathe and any stock motor... I did have to change the startup voltage step to a lower value because it was causing the APS to reboot. No real big deal just takes an extra 2-3 seconds for the motor to get to 2volts.

I think .5 is fine because it is more of a "rest" period for the charging so anything less then 2 amps seems good to me.

The help/instructions are confusing but for most stuff it is really easy and like any other charger. Click button "A" at to change "B" to select and so on... After you get your profiles setup I think it is 2 or 3 clicks to start charging, 2 for a motor test, maybe 3 for the break-in.

I haven't had a problem with the RPM sensor so I'm no help there.
Unfortunatly there is no delayed charging feature like the GFX or Pulsar, that would be a nice addition.

You can change the temp cut off, amp rate, mAh cutoff, mV delta peak while charging and it's pretty easy. You can also change the voltage of the motor during the motor run/test...

Hope this helps,
Schdp

Quote:
Originally Posted by AE Racer
Im interested in getting this charger and I have some questions. The motor run in has a 20A maximum current draw, my power supply is only 13A, if something is binding in a motor or my lathe pulls more than 13A will that fry my power supply? Is there any way to limit the amp draw? The minimum charge rate is .5 amps, during step charging, it seems like with other chargers people set the 2nd step to .2 or .3 amps, is the .5 really too high, or is it just not much of a difference? Is the charger easy to use with the menus and stuff? The html file of the manual looks pretty bad, but if its self explanatory, then it shouldnt be a problem. If there's a problem with the rpm sensor like some have had, can you just send them the rpm sensor for repair? Is there any type of delayed start charging, like you set a timer for the charge to start? Can you change settings while charging, like charge rate and peak detection? Is there any reason that I should consider the orion advantage over this charger? The advantage has megaflex charging which I dont think I would use anyway, and I think it has the delayed start feature, it doesnt have any rpm sensor though, anything else to it?

Thanks
schdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 07:11 PM   #168
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to nmt6789

Can this charger run a lathe?
nmt6789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 07:13 PM   #169
Tech Apprentice

I think it will with the motor run-in feature, not positve though.......
Grub_Maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 07:28 PM   #170
Tech Addict

Yes, any charger with a motor run in feature can run a lathe
AE Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 07:34 PM   #171
Tech Apprentice

This charger seems relly cool except for the no discharge mode......
Grub_Maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 11:24 PM   #172
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasupacat1
I don't use the step. Don't think it will give any benefits.
I test my motors for 10 sec. It gives enough time for the motor to spool up to max. rpm's
Thanks for the info.
alang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 04:21 PM   #173
Tech Regular

Default amp draw

when you guys use the motor checker do you check amp draw with a fan on the motor or without.
tom235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 04:56 PM   #174
Tech Adept

most do the amp draw w/o a fan... but there are always some that do. Just as long as when you compare numbers you do the same with or without.

Schdp
Old 12-12-2005, 05:00 PM   #175
Tech Regular

[QUOTE=schdp]most do the amp draw w/o a fan... but there are always some that do. Just as long as when you compare numbers you do the same with or without.

people are saying there motors amp draw is like 9 or 10 and i can't get any of my motors that high
Old 12-12-2005, 05:01 PM   #176
Tech Adept

Grub_Maker,

The lack of discharge was a big deal to me at first because I used the GFX but since I have used a Dyna Pulse and my batteries are doing better with it. You could also do something like an Integy 030. Overall you still save $$$ doing it this way and the charger isn't tied up discharging.

Some of the others that have 10-20 amp discharge I think is prolly bad for the batteries anyways. So when I was looking any of the other chargers would have need an external discharger...

Schdp
Old 12-12-2005, 05:05 PM   #177
Tech Adept

Personally I don't think too much of amp numbers unless something is way off... I have had some very fast stock motors that only pull 5amps (w/o fan) tuned for carpet sedan. Typically if you run a harder spring it will bring up amp draw and torque.

What brush/spring combo are you using?

Schdp

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom235
Quote:
Originally Posted by schdp
most do the amp draw w/o a fan... but there are always some that do. Just as long as when you compare numbers you do the same with or without.

people are saying there motors amp draw is like 9 or 10 and i can't get any of my motors that high
Old 12-12-2005, 05:10 PM   #178
Tech Regular

What brush/spring combo are you using?

Schdp[/QUOTE]

im running 19t quad mag 767 purple + green -
Old 12-15-2005, 03:10 PM   #179
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to nmt6789

Who has the best price on the APS Dyno-Charge?
nmt6789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 03:27 PM   #180
Tech Addict

KT hobbies has the cheapest price I could find 174.99. Speedtech is 179.99. KT hobbies is alot closer to us too so youll get it sooner.
AE Racer is offline   Reply With Quote