R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-26-2012, 06:51 PM   #1
Tech Fanatic
 
The Captain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Seattle
Posts: 953
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Discharge rates of electric on road

Never ran on road before, but understand that discharge capabilities of batteries (c rating) is much more important than off road racing. What kind of discharge rates, burst and static, would your typical on road tc or f1 pull during race conditions? Looking to spec out some batteries, might take up on road racing in the future. Thanks!
__________________
-Derrick-
"Yeah, well, thats just like your opinion, man."
The Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 08:04 PM   #2
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 1,696
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Captain View Post
Never ran on road before, but understand that discharge capabilities of batteries (c rating) is much more important than off road racing. What kind of discharge rates, burst and static, would your typical on road tc or f1 pull during race conditions? Looking to spec out some batteries, might take up on road racing in the future. Thanks!
Most of it is hype and its not as important as many people think, but 40C is a good ball park for most types of racing.
RogerDaShrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:38 PM   #3
Suspended
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 6,240
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

200% correct !!! Any 5000mah 40C packs will handle most mod setups with ease !!! The rest is just hype to resell more of the same stuff !!! I personally prefer Tp packs because I had originally picked a tp balancer, but most other manufacturers do well with their 40C packs.....
bertrandsv87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 04:44 AM   #4
Tech Fanatic
 
daleburr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Oxfordshire, UK
Posts: 861
Default

40C will be fine. In 10.5 boosted I pull 80A max (16C at 5000mah).

I've compared 40C, 50C and 60C with a data logger and there's no measurable performance difference.

Beware all the stories of "I tested this brand new 60C pack against my 2-year-old 40C pack and the 60C was better". Lipos go off over time, so any new pack will be better than an old one, making most of these tests useless.
__________________
Team Xray
RC-Timing Software - http://www.rc-timing.com
Mercedes AMG F1 - http://www.mercedes-amg-f1.com/
daleburr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 01:10 PM   #5
Tech Fanatic
 
The Captain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Seattle
Posts: 953
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Awesome, thanks guys! Anyone else have any data logging stats with average and max current bursts? I didnt think onroad cars would pull more than say a 1/8 electric buggy, but wasnt sure due to the high grip surfaces they run on.

Been looking at the F1 cars from Tamiya, and the Associated TCs. I'm kind of leaning towards the F1s due to their simplicity and more scale appearances. Really just getting a feel for whats out there right now, but knew I would get some good honest answers here.
__________________
-Derrick-
"Yeah, well, thats just like your opinion, man."
The Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 01:37 PM   #6
Tech Champion
 
liljohn1064's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Deerfield, WI
Posts: 5,582
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Captain View Post
Awesome, thanks guys! Anyone else have any data logging stats with average and max current bursts? I didnt think onroad cars would pull more than say a 1/8 electric buggy, but wasnt sure due to the high grip surfaces they run on.

Been looking at the F1 cars from Tamiya, and the Associated TCs. I'm kind of leaning towards the F1s due to their simplicity and more scale appearances. Really just getting a feel for whats out there right now, but knew I would get some good honest answers here.
We run 21.5 brushless in F1. You'll be lucky to have the ESC/motor pull enough current at launch to max out the current pull of even a 25C battery. That being said I run 3800 60C lipos because that is the flavor of shorty I could get my hands on.
__________________
John Higgins former student of The Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driving School. The "Team Principal".
liljohn1064 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 01:53 PM   #7
Tech Champion
 
RedBullFiXX's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Intergalactic Planetary
Posts: 6,542
Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by daleburr View Post
40C will be fine. In 10.5 boosted I pull 80A max (16C at 5000mah).

I've compared 40C, 50C and 60C with a data logger and there's no measurable performance difference.

Beware all the stories of "I tested this brand new 60C pack against my 2-year-old 40C pack and the 60C was better". Lipos go off over time, so any new pack will be better than an old one, making most of these tests useless.
Funny thing about that
I have a 2yr old 40c 1s, that has better avg-v, and lower I.R. than most of the new packs I have tested, and is far better than a new 90c pack
__________________
--> 12th scale Information Source <--

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing."
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.
RedBullFiXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 01:57 PM   #8
Tech Fanatic
 
The Captain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Seattle
Posts: 953
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by liljohn1064 View Post
We run 21.5 brushless in F1. You'll be lucky to have the ESC/motor pull enough current at launch to max out the current pull of even a 25C battery. That being said I run 3800 60C lipos because that is the flavor of shorty I could get my hands on.
Is that a spec class or something? I dont think I have ever seen a BLDC motor lower than 17.5T. Are they pretty quick with a 21.5? I know a 17.5 in a SC is real boring, but they weigh a lot more than an F1 RC model.
__________________
-Derrick-
"Yeah, well, thats just like your opinion, man."
The Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 02:35 PM   #9
Tech Elite
 
Skiddins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Windsor, UK
Posts: 4,762
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX View Post
Funny thing about that
I have a 2yr old 40c 1s, that has better avg-v, and lower I.R. than most of the new packs I have tested, and is far better than a new 90c pack
What, you mean that a well known 90C pack didn't actually measure up to the hype!

I still run my 3yr old Thunder Power 40C's in 13.5 as well as my newer 65C's and there is no difference between them on the track.
__________________
Xray T4'18, T4'14 (Wet Car)
Xray X12 2018
Xray X1'16
wlrc.co.uk (West London Racing Centre)
RCDisco.co.uk
Skiddins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 03:02 PM   #10
Tech Champion
 
liljohn1064's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Deerfield, WI
Posts: 5,582
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Captain View Post
Is that a spec class or something? I dont think I have ever seen a BLDC motor lower than 17.5T. Are they pretty quick with a 21.5? I know a 17.5 in a SC is real boring, but they weigh a lot more than an F1 RC model.
F1 is typically limited to silver can Johnson/Mabuchi or 21.5 brushless with no timing advance for indoor carpet tracks. Out door or on longer tracks some places run 17.5 to 10.5. And the gearing for on-road is way different. Power to weight like you mentioned is also important. On-road cars are super light. Most of us run F1 for the scale looks and not the pure speed. If you want pure speed, try Mod 12th scale or Pro10 235mm.
__________________
John Higgins former student of The Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driving School. The "Team Principal".
liljohn1064 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Electric Touring / On-Road RC Screaming Wind Manila Racers 32167 05-02-2017 11:20 PM
QCRCCC OFF-ROAD RACING emer Manila Racers 16543 04-08-2016 01:31 AM
Newbie Losi 8ight T 2.0 Electric Conversion Help! jonee589 Electric Off-Road 92 04-08-2013 03:29 PM
1/8 scale off-road Electrics adrictan Singapore R/C Racers 6612 06-12-2012 06:02 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 01:04 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net