Set up stations

Old 07-31-2012, 06:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Thanks for sharing the setup guide. This book is great
Old 07-31-2012, 07:36 AM
Tech Master

I used an integy alloy for several years, dating back to 2004. Worked just fine, IMHO, but the Hudy ones are much nicer, albeit expensive.

I always take my setup guages, board, tweak station to the track. The moment everything became accurately measured, the faster and more consistent my vehicles got. This also includes balancing my tires and properly tweaking the vehicle.

I never understood anyone who measured things like camber and toe at the tire; tires are never perfectly round (especially after crashes). Recently, there was a discussion locally about the use of the Hudy offroad setup station (http://www.hudy.net/xhudy/products/p...1&kategoria=64). One side argued that it wasn't needed, all you need to do is to "eye-ball" your settings. The other side argued that gauges were necessary to ensure you got things balanced (most of these people raced TC as well). Who was right? After throwing two vehicles from both sides onto a hudy setup gauges, most of those who eye=ball it were surfing their phones to order the hudy.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:49 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

You can do setup with a cheap caliper and one of those camber rectangle gauges if you are tight on money. Ideally you would have a set of setup wheels as well, since plastic wheels will warp. You can measure toe from the difference of the inside edges of the front and rear part of your wheels, and the camber gauges are meant to be placed against the face of your wheel. I have had a set of hudy setup gauges for 5 years and use them several times a race day, I usually end up just using two as there is no real reason to set the car on all 4 at once, I just check one end at a time, I believe they are worth the $, but look for a used set anyway, usually you can get them fro half off new.
Old 07-31-2012, 08:15 AM
Tech Master

Ive been using the 3Racing setup station for awhile now and have no complaints. How does everyone else rank this set.
Old 07-31-2012, 08:22 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I picked up a used Integy set a month ago and like it pretty well. If I need to just set camber, I have a RPM gauge that works just fine. I do use the setup wheels to be consistent though. When setting front toe, I turn on the car and radio to center the steering, then set the toe.
Old 07-31-2012, 12:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JustWill75
I wonder what setup stations do the pros use. I know that Xray use Hudy but what the team Associated, Tamiya, Yokomo and Hotbodies team drivers use?.
Shouldn't you be practicing?

Originally Posted by terry.sc
I must say though I would never bother taking the setup station to the track, but a camber gauge and a tweak board always goes with me.
This, I cannot understand. The variation in measuring camber from the outside of the wheel to the hub can be massive (I have seen upwards of 4* difference between the outside of the wheel and the setup station readings on a VTA tire). The setup station goes where my car goes, and if I hit the wall with any force, or it feels funny, it goes on the setup station to check. Setup board as well as ride height gauges, droop blocks, and while I carry balance pins, I also carry a full balance station as well.

The only reason I would ever suggest not bringing a setup station is because you do not have one, and you can borrow one from someone else. Otherwise, it goes everywhere the car goes.

How do you make toe adjustments? Ruler? While it is possible, I sure do not see the advantage, especially when you have the proper tools.
Old 07-31-2012, 06:59 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by orcadigital
Shouldn't you be practicing?

This, I cannot understand. The variation in measuring camber from the outside of the wheel to the hub can be massive (I have seen upwards of 4* difference between the outside of the wheel and the setup station readings on a VTA tire). The setup station goes where my car goes, and if I hit the wall with any force, or it feels funny, it goes on the setup station to check. Setup board as well as ride height gauges, droop blocks, and while I carry balance pins, I also carry a full balance station as well.

The only reason I would ever suggest not bringing a setup station is because you do not have one, and you can borrow one from someone else. Otherwise, it goes everywhere the car goes.

How do you make toe adjustments? Ruler? While it is possible, I sure do not see the advantage, especially when you have the proper tools.
First of all, I'll be practicing on Wednesday.

Second you are absolutely right, my setup station is always with my car.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:07 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

I have an Integy 2 set up station. It works fine and all but I hate having to level out my set up board every time I use it. I use a 3'' level to do this. I dont trust the little ball level in the center of the set up board. This also makes it a pain to take to the track. Personally I cant stand this set up station. I do like the case though. It holds everything.

I have a friends Hudy set up station. I'm gonna set my car up with my integy 2 then double check it with this Hudy. I'll be sure to post my findings.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Big Midget
I have an Integy 2 set up station. It works fine and all but I hate having to level out my set up board every time I use it. I use a 3'' level to do this. I dont trust the little ball level in the center of the set up board. This also makes it a pain to take to the track. Personally I cant stand this set up station. I do like the case though. It holds everything.

I have a friends Hudy set up station. I'm gonna set my car up with my integy 2 then double check it with this Hudy. I'll be sure to post my findings.
Why are you leveling the thing? If you're just checking the standard things like camber and toe, there's no need to level unless you pit on a 45° slope.

I have an Integy and it works well enough, but it's no substitute for Hudy quality. I'll get a used Hudy if a deal comes along.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:34 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

I'll show ya, I'll post a quick picture.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:45 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

The board has to be level to set your camber with this station. The bottom
pic shows the pins that screw into the bottom of the setup board to help level it out.

How accurate it is depends on how well you level it out.....

Set up stations-100_8425.jpg

Set up stations-100_8426.jpg

Set up stations-100_8427.jpg
Old 08-01-2012, 11:40 PM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Take a look at the Yeah Racing setup station too. Its feels like its better machined and more precise, but every so slightly. Nothing beats a Hudy though.
Old 08-02-2012, 12:22 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

i quit using mine... i use a plastic camber gauge because I was taught that wheels are never perfectly round as proven when used the plastic camber gauge... for toe i use a caliper, for adjusting epa, i use my ears and running the car in circles both ways...
Old 08-02-2012, 12:31 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Dan
Take a look at the Yeah Racing setup station too. Its feels like its better machined and more precise, but every so slightly. Nothing beats a Hudy though.
Have this one from Yeah Racing cheap and nice looking but ... Gave me a headache and few races to figure out that its off for 1.5 degree left to right. I was measuring rear toe in at my TC6.1 and blaming the bad quality of the car just to find out the gauge was bad!

PS: when you put the plastic part in the slots it binds so badly you can hardly use it so it's necessarily to sand the slot!

http://www.yeahracing.com/catalog/li...bu-p-2632.html
Old 08-02-2012, 08:14 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by samnelso
Why are you leveling the thing? If you're just checking the standard things like camber and toe, there's no need to level unless you pit on a 45° slope.
The board has to be level to set your camber with this station. The bottom
pic shows the pins that screw into the bottom of the setup board to help level it out.

How accurate it is depends on how well you level it out.....
I see what's going on there. Although I understand the design is minimizing any drag within the measurement device in an attempt to create an accurate reading, because it utilizes a pendulum it must [by nature] be on a level surface. That simply introduces an additional opportunity for operator error. One step forward, one step back. Somebody lost sight of the bigger picture with that design.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.