Tuning with Inserts? >

Tuning with Inserts?

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By sosidge

Tuning with Inserts?

Old 01-11-2021, 05:13 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Tuning with Inserts?

I'm a veteran racer who was out of the hobby for quite a while, when pan cars ruled. Now I'm back, and I'm very new to the touring car scene. The one thing that I haven't been able to find the answers for is when to tune with your inserts.

How do you know when you need to run a firmer or softer insert, given that you're already running the "hot" tire for a particular track ? I've always been told, "Run the Pits with the Echo Blue" at this track, or "The Sorex 36R with the Yokomo Medium is the ticket". How do I know that this particular insert will work well with my chassis setup?

I asked David Spashett once on TTT, and he said that he just tries different inserts and gets a feel for what works best. Well, I respect his opinion and understand that he doesn't have a set method for determining insert selection, but I don't get my stuff for free, and I don't have an unlimited budget.

Anyone have a set method for tuning with inserts?
Old 01-11-2021, 07:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Tuning with inserts hasn’t really been a thing for a very long time. Most tracks require the use of a spec tire. Most common on carpet is Jaco or gravity. Can’t speak for asphalt racing what they run.

There usually a spec tire for almost every large race, so clubs usually require that same tire so people can tune to it and be ready for the next big race.
Old 01-11-2021, 10:37 AM
Tech Elite

Isn't this a cut and paste of the very old thread on this topic???

What kind of high jinks is this???
Manny likes this.