R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-11-2012, 04:06 AM   #31
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

My Kawada TC with shorty packs. The weight is now under 1400gms without added weights with rear weight bias of 41g. The car handles great and corners even quicker, accelrates faster too. The packs are 4000mah 60C. while run times are shorter, but its still able to power the car well beyond the 5 min mark for racing. The motor i used is a 10.5T unboosted with ratio of 5.75. Before this this car weighed 1500gm with IP 5400mah Saddle packs.
alcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 08:33 AM   #32
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to valk Send a message via AIM to valk Send a message via MSN to valk

not sure the point of running a shorty in a modern car. most of the cars on the market were designed to balance using standard lipo batteries and brushless systems.
in case of my older tc5, which would expect to be a heavy beast, i had to add 63 grams to balance the car on the battery side, which put my RTR weight at 1400 exactly with a heavily shoegood body. if i had painted it with no backing colors and no reinforcement, id probably be underweight. even with added weight.

my Team magic might benefit from shorty packs, but I thought you wanted a high capacity battery to keep the nominal volts higher through the race.
valk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 09:29 AM   #33
Tech Master

Double post
Serpent S120 13.5
6376vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 09:33 AM   #34
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by valk View Post
not sure the point of running a shorty in a modern car. most of the cars on the market were designed to balance using standard lipo batteries and brushless systems.
in case of my older tc5, which would expect to be a heavy beast, i had to add 63 grams to balance the car on the battery side, which put my RTR weight at 1400 exactly with a heavily shoegood body. if i had painted it with no backing colors and no reinforcement, id probably be underweight. even with added weight.

my Team magic might benefit from shorty packs, but I thought you wanted a high capacity battery to keep the nominal volts higher through the race.
I see your point about cars being designed to balance with a standard lipo. I guess this may be the exception but my f1 uses a center mounted lipo. A shorty allows me to reduce overall weight and gives me an easy way to shift the weight forward or rearward to adjust for track conditions. I admit that it usually it is as far forward as possible because f1 cars like to push. the weight bias on the front really helps.
Serpent S120 13.5
6376vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 11:45 PM   #35
Tech Adept

Quote:
I know some local racers have mod their 'noraml lipo' designed cars by putting the servo onto the lipo side, then you will have the servo + short lipo on the right side while receiver, ESC + motor on the left. I dont know whether they achieve perfect 50/50 L/R by doing this, but with some imagination, anything is possible.

hardmankam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 12:04 AM   #36
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to valk Send a message via AIM to valk Send a message via MSN to valk

id be curious how well that works as servos can be quite heavy, where rx and esc weigh almost nothing.
thats very clean. is that a photon ex?
valk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 07:14 AM   #37
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
not sure the point of running a shorty in a modern car. most of the cars on the market were designed to balance using standard lipo batteries and brushless systems
To take an example, with all the respect to Xray, the T3'11 made a error with his center position servo. It was designed for Lipo, but even with a Lipo (Vs Nimh), the servo corner is already the corner with a lack of weight, and I can nearly be sure that the change on the T3'12 has nothing with the steering system by itself, but with the weight of this corner. The servo is less in the center, and more on the front, which even allow you to put the ESC more on the front if you want (I did it and it seems to work, and saw that Lemieux did it on his car some months ago).
If Xray wanted, they could have kept the T3'11 system, and just fix the turnbuckle coming from the servo on a different point (it was near the rotating point of the system, and needed to be a bit out).

So we can say that the latest Xray car is more balanced, but that the previous one (still a recent car) was not a good balanced car.

Quote:
id be curious how well that works as servos can be quite heavy, where rx and esc weigh almost nothing.
thats very clean. is that a photon ex?
A normal servo is 50g, and less than 40g for a low profile.
An ESC is 40g without cap, fan and wire, and the total can goes up to 100g
Only the Receiver weights nearly nothing

A shorty Lipo + Servo = 200 + 40
On the other side = motor + esc + receiver = 180 + 40 + 10 = 230 and you have to add cap, fan (and maybe one for the motor) and wires
FFred is offline   Reply With Quote