Wiki Posts
Search

HPI 2 speed ELECTRIC

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2002, 08:08 AM
Tech Rookie

Default HPI 2 speed ELECTRIC

Hello all,

I did a scan on the search, but most of the answeres were for nitro trannies.

My questionis this:

I just got a used RS4 sport and bought a 2 speed for it. While i was setting it up, the spur gear would spin in OPPOSITE direction ONLY. this is when I was holding it in my hand. When I installed it in the car, and put the double pinion in, it obviously only spun in ONE direction. When I tested the car, it seemed to take off the line very fast and the top end speed was fast too. I have a 13 T motor in it and the tranny and spur and pinions are the stock HPI ones that come wiht the set. I have been reading on the forums that the Nitro cars, have a sound change from one gear to thte other, is this true of the electric cars???? Cause even theough the car is fast of the line and top end, i do NOT hear any speed change from gear 1 to gear 2!!!!! do i have to loosen the clutch? I have left it at factory default. Please help.

PS: I found something that said 2 speed trannies are worthless on electrics...is this true?
Old 07-01-2002, 04:45 PM
Joe
Tech Regular

billymou, I think two-speeds are fine for bashing but worthless racing. Not to mention illegal. As for the shifting you describe, that sounds fine, that's how it works. When the 2nd gear kicks in, it needs to bypass the first gear. It accomplishes this by using a one-way bearing on first gear.
Old 07-01-2002, 05:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

You can't hear the tranny shift and once you get about 1/4 of the way thru your pack you it won't even get enough juice to spin the motor up to enough RPM's to shift anymore.... It's more of a novelty item than anything.