R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-25-2005, 06:42 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Default my RC is going crazy, some radio problem?

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post but i don't find another more suitable. So please move it if it doesn't belong here.

okie anyway, i got a HPI Pro4 and it seems my Pro4 was cursed by some radio ghost. I have nothing but problems since i got it
I got glitching problem with my SS5800 at the begining and after trying everything including buying a brand new 40MHz FM synth radio set, new servo, all the tricks and still can't fix the problem. So i finally give up and I put in a trinity monster stock pro motor + ESC to replace the SS5800 and it seems to be working fine .... for 2 days!!

Yesterday i took it to the local track for some practising, everything was fine when i was running the first battery pack.. then i put in my 2nd battery pack and start practising with my friend and after a few minutes the car start to lost control. At the beginning i thought it's just some normal radio interference as it happens to a lot of people at one far corner.. and i can still control the car fine in most of the track... but later on, suddenly i notice it's getting worse and i can't even stop my car !!! the steering still works but i just can't stop the motor. Finally someone caught my car so i took it back to my table and check what's going on. The steering AND motor are both moving randomly and i can't stop the motor even with full brake. There were quite a few guys on the track and I saw someone's playing some RC plane about 1-2 miles away so i change my frequency to see if it works.. tried a few different frequency and finally found one that is better (but still glitching quite a bit). So i put in another pack of battery and try it again.. it's better than before and at least i can stop the car now! but still somethings not right. Oh well so i blamed those other guys and went home. After i went home, i cleaned my car and test my radio again.. and the car still go crazy when i turn the power on!!! wait.. i notice one funny thing, the car go crazy ONLY when i turn the radio transmitter on! I tried many frequency and it's still the same. Almost no glitching or anything when the transmitter is off.. but the steering and motor will go crazy at random direction as soon as i turn the transmitter on. I've move the receiver around the car and it doesn't do anything at all. And another funny thing is if the transmitter's antenna touches /almost touch the receiver's antenna, then the car won't go crazy but also it seems the receiver can't receive any signal as well.
I install some new battery and still the same problem (the battery indicator says battery is full). I've resetted the ESC and still the same.

The radio is almost brand new and bought from the shop just before christmas (it's a korean brand). I remember the car would go crazy from time to time as well since i got this radio but it's just completely out of control now

i took the car back to the shop this morning but they won't have a time to test it for me until next week.

I can't find any 40MHz FM Tx/Rx that i can borrow so can't test the tx/rx separately.. so do you guys think it is my radio transmitter? or what can it be?

Last edited by yellow15; 01-25-2005 at 07:22 PM.
yellow15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 07:03 PM   #2
Tech Adept

Default Possibly a channel in use by other device?

If you are using the radio in the US it's possible the interference might be caused by another device operating at 40 Mhz. I could be wrong but I was told that the channel is illegal in the states due to the FCC only permitting the 27 Mhz and 75Mhz bands for RC use. If this is true then the 40 Mhz band would definitely be allocated for another device. Like I said I may be wrong but if its the kind of radio w/ a module then try switching the receiver and module w/ either a 75 Mhz or 27 Mhz and see if it works.
tcdrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 07:20 PM   #3
Tech Regular

oh sorry i didn't say that but i'm from New Zealand and we are allowed to use the 40Mhz band here.

Yeah i thought it is probably some interference from somewhere/someone else but i've tested it at three different places last night and this morning and at each place i got the same problem ONLY WHEN THE TX IS ON EVEN IF THE TX IS WITHIN 1 METER TO THE CAR and that's what really puzzle me

i can't borrow any compatible radio gear to test mine. So the only thing i can do is to BUY another set of radio which i really don't want as this one is only 1 month old
Old 01-25-2005, 07:24 PM   #4
Tech Regular

Loose screws?
Graphite touching a bare wire or antennae?
Damaged crystal?
I have heard of these things causing problems but dont know if they are applicable in your case or not.
new92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 07:26 PM   #5
B&O
Tech Apprentice

First of all, what kind of radio??? If it is Sanwa, you have to use the genuine crystal from Sanwa. You cannot use the "Central Band" for Sanwa...

Did you try to change the crystal of your radio?
B&O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 07:40 PM   #6
Tech Regular

B&O: it's a Synth radio -> no crystal. i don't know the brand. why? because i can't find the brand name anywhere but it's from a korean company. i bought it from my local shop and they recommend this one over the Futaba 3PL as they are similar price but it is a synth. radio. It's a new product and new company i guess. I should have bought the 3PL

new92: yeah i have checked all those things and actually i've even deteched the receiver and the antenna from the car and move it around but none helps.
Old 01-25-2005, 07:41 PM   #7
Tech Regular

and i think my most important question is.

Why the car would go crazy when the Tx is on and only when the tx is on?
Old 01-26-2005, 04:09 PM   #8
Tech Regular

Anyone?
Old 01-26-2005, 04:13 PM   #9
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to BigDogRacing

most likely it's the ESC. Change ESCs and motor and it will prolly go away.
BigDogRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 04:16 PM   #10
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to Merciless

IT probably has a fail safe to shut it all down if its recieving on signal.So if the radio's off it shuts the car down !!

Have you opened up the radio and or the reciever to check the continuity of the aerials. I.e there are no breakages in them.

It's very unusal with the transmiter but quiet easy to damage your recievers antena wire !!

It's about all i can think of. If it's that new though id take it back to the shop and say your unhappy with it and get the Futaba !!
Merciless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 07:09 PM   #11
B&O
Tech Apprentice

yellow15,

Bigdogracing is probably correct. Most likely is the ESC. I don't use any synthesis radio. Try to put the ESC further away from the receiver, or put the receiver on top of the Servo and see if this can help...
B&O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 10:52 PM   #12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

He already changed the motor and ESC, from the first post, reffering to changing the SS5800 which is a brushless setup.

Yellow15: What parts have not been changed? You mentioned swapping many parts, but which ones were not changed? On a side note, I had a friend who would kill all of his radio equipment. About once a year his stuff would start acting funny. After years of going through everything and buying tons of new equipment, the cause was traced to the way he transported his R/C stuff to the track .... in his trunk, right next to two 15" subwoofers and 1K watts of juice. He shut the woofers off while on the way to the track, and from then on, no problems.
Old 01-27-2005, 02:54 AM   #13
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Since its a synth just try controlling a friends car. Even if it is not a synth you should be able to control it.
If the transmitter works fine with the car, then your problem is the receiver. If not, then your transmitter is not working right.
scoobydo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 05:30 AM   #14
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default Pro 4

Listen, I have had these problems also. The fix that worked for me was to use the (magnet's) Horizon part # JRPA028 or #JRPA029. These are RF filter's. Believe me they work. Good luck the car is an awesome car.
Old 01-27-2005, 01:33 PM   #15
Tech Regular

Yes i've changed from a brushless setup to my new monster stock setup.
My hobby shop has checked my RC yesterday and they told me they can't figure out what's wrong as well. They have tried many things including a different ESC/motor and still got the same problem so now they've sent my radio back to the factory and ask them to check it. In the meantime, they gave me an old basic Futaba AM radio and my car seems to be running fine now. I'll take it to my local track tomorrow and see if it behaves there.

I'll report back next week

Greg Sharpe: i do have a 12" subwoofer in my boot but i almost never crank the volume up these days so it should be fine I guess?

1fastdude: what is that thing you are suggesting? i've tried some ferrite core but it didn't make any difference.