R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-27-2005, 02:06 PM   #16
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Get rid of the synth modules, they are unreliable and can cause glitching (lots of people in my local racing area have had problems with synth modules) I use the tried and true crystals, I NEVER have glitching problems anywhere I go. I use a KO Mars on 75 mHz.

A synth module digitally "simulates" the quartz crystal movement that give you the desired channel (ex: send a proper bit stream of 0's and 1's at a particular rate and you get the frequency, say 75.950 mHz or channel 88). Problem is, is that electronics are affected by outside sources (motor current, etc..) and the digital simulation of the particluar channel could get off a bit and cause glitching. A crystal is not affected by electrical impulses.

Get rid of the synth module!!
ddesros2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 06:33 PM   #17
Tech Regular

Yes.. i did a bit more research on the synth radios these few days and notice a lot of people with glitching problems with many different synth radios while people using the equivalent crystal version has almost no problem.

Anyway i can't do anything now, have to wait until they get back to me... i will certainly want to exchange for another crystal radio if possible.
yellow15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 06:43 PM   #18
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Would you still have the same problem if you had a synth Transmitter and a crystal Reciever?

I was thinking of getting a crystal reciever to use with my XS3 Synth but if the problem of glitching will still arise, I'll just stick with the synth rec.
Anybody try this?
scoobydo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 10:56 PM   #19
Tech Initiate

hi yellow15,

here are my some experiences:

I have an old AM29 freq. from KO. It is not legally accepted frequency to be used on RC in US and Canada.

my am29 worked fine in Vancouver, canada, nothing jammed it. However, it totally ran into similar situation as yours when I was in Ontario Toronto canada.

the fact is some of the frequency are being used by other type of device, I heard someone sells radio crystal which is for medical equipment to RCer. It may work for some cities or province, but definitely it will run into problem.

Since your shop changed you an AM system and it works, the problem is grounded to the FM radio, either the crystal frequency or even the transmitter itself. It definitely has some devices jamming its frequency which is stronger and continue signal.

I suggest you ask for a refund for it.

Just my 2 cents.
tty_wai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 10:58 PM   #20
Tech Initiate

sorry but what is "synth radio"? isn't there is only AM, FM, Pcm and digital 2.4hz in the RC world?
tty_wai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 11:57 PM   #21
Tech Champion

Quote:
The radio is almost brand new and bought from the shop just before christmas (it's a korean brand). I remember the car would go crazy from time to time as well since i got this radio but it's just completely out of control now
What brand is your radio ?
asw7576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 12:34 AM   #22
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by tty_wai
sorry but what is "synth radio"? isn't there is only AM, FM, Pcm and digital 2.4hz in the RC world?
Its the new radios coming out that are synthesized. You don't need crystals for it. You buy 27 or 75 or 40mhz or whatever you prefer and you can synthesize the transmitter and receiver to the same channel in that range. You can switch to whatever channel you want within the range. No more crystals to buy.
however the problem we were discussin was wheather the synth signal breaks and causes glitching.
scoobydo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 12:41 AM   #23
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

all this talk makes me want to get the Spektrum 2.4Ghz system. nothing worse than radio problems to ruin your race day.
rocketron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 04:43 AM   #24
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by asw7576
What brand is your radio ?
brand: IDPS (from Korea)
model: IDP-X1
Old 01-30-2005, 10:12 AM   #25
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Shookie Send a message via MSN to Mr. Shookie

Read my post from here http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthre...threadid=14121

It says it all.
Thanks,
Stephen <><
All who love the LORD JESUS I praise with you.1 Cor 10:31
Team HOLY Rollers (Team Manager)
The Church is a Hospital for Sinners not a Museum for Saints.
RcTech Feedback <>< RC Tech Subcriber #92
Mr. Shookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 02:18 PM   #26
Tech Regular

hm.. which page should i look at ?? there are 404 pages in that thread
Old 01-30-2005, 02:43 PM   #27
Tech Regular

OK i think i found your post, it's this one right?
Quote:
1) Carbon fiber chassis seem to have more radio noice or vibrations.
2) Check and make sure everything is slop free...Had a loose king pin and when under heavy excelleration the Nuckle vibrated like made. (Which also causes radio noice)
3) Use Ferrit coils....little wrap around ones for your servo and your esc. Go to digikey.com and call there help desk and tell them you want ferrit coils, they can help....And they cost like $0.20.
4) If glitching still accours then get clamp style ferrit coils for your negative motor and battery wires..Same thing call digikey.com tell them you want the clamp style...
5) Wrap any expossed receiver wire with fuel line as to keep it from receiving any extra noice.
6) Buy the Yokomo Radio Noice Killer from www.Speedtechrc.com Yokomo knows about the radio glitches and knew there was a need for this product. The silver tape goes around the receiver...If you look at Masami's and Easton's cars from the worlds championship they both use the Noice Killer stuff.
I've tried basically everything except point 6 but i have home made some similar thing as the yokomo kit and it didn't help at all.

but i think my biggest question/problem is still this, why the car go crazy only when i turn the radio tx on?