Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2 >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: what's your tire choice?
Protoform
30.67%
HPI
69.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree4318Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2019, 06:19 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ASM
A well broken in set of carpet PF's will work on the asphalt at our track but that's because they're quite soft already
This is exactly the best method in my opinion, or as Gravity RC states the tires pores are more open and accept traction compounds better.
Old 05-27-2019, 06:09 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chiefj48

lmao
you just can’t fix Stupid.
Grow up!!
Where is the unlike button.
Old 05-28-2019, 09:50 PM
Tech Adept

Wow, anyone actually know who this chiefj48 is. Seems like a person I would want to make sure isn't infecting others with his horrible attitude at the track. Last summer I ran the PF tires on a sealed asphalt track with track temps well over the 140's. Now they weren't glued to the track like the radial touring car tires, but isn't that the point. Once broke in, or opened pores, they actually work descent. And also, it is equal for all. I will say they aren't great, especially out of the bag, but they work just like I would want them to. Have you ever watched actual Vintage Trans Am racing. These PF tires actually seem pretty true to the real thing in regards to handling of full size vintage cars. My recommendation is to guys complaining, go race 2wd offroad on a loamy dirt offroad track, you will learn the sliding recovery process.
Old 05-29-2019, 06:00 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Chief48 is and older guy like I am that is pretty set in his ways. I didn't believe him when he said that his track was infected with sand and other corruption. I visited and saw first hand that it was in fact true. Like most airport tracks it is subject to sand blowing across it in such small amounts that it isn't noticeable(sorry chief). I tried to manipulate the surface without tire treatment and failed miserably. The surface is just porous enough to provide a nice layer of marbles across it just off line to make it slick.

Don't throw him too far under the bus for his beliefs.
moparSRT likes this.
Old 05-29-2019, 08:53 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by MidwestRacer
Wow, anyone actually know who this chiefj48 is. Seems like a person I would want to make sure isn't infecting others with his horrible attitude at the track. Last summer I ran the PF tires on a sealed asphalt track with track temps well over the 140's. Now they weren't glued to the track like the radial touring car tires, but isn't that the point. Once broke in, or opened pores, they actually work descent. And also, it is equal for all. I will say they aren't great, especially out of the bag, but they work just like I would want them to. Have you ever watched actual Vintage Trans Am racing. These PF tires actually seem pretty true to the real thing in regards to handling of full size vintage cars. My recommendation is to guys complaining, go race 2wd offroad on a loamy dirt offroad track, you will learn the sliding recovery process.
The point is These PF tires are not made for asphalt they are very good on carpet ( when broken in). The thing is if Im a racer and have tires broken in a a full season on carpet, and a friend of mine starts on asphalt with no time for hours of prep and 500 break in laps are we really Racing? No we are not. With TC of GT tires its not a problem. Trying to Impress people by bringing in dirt racing from the late 80-90s has No relation to asphalt VTA onroad racing.

Having Drifted and raced many years with RC10s and XXTs on that surface has Prepared me for loose conditions .Asking a newer VTA racer to wait half a outdoor summer season for their PF VTA tires to finally start working is not the answer.
This spring so far I have only had 1 heat of racing VTA before being rained out. That one heat was so spread out in laps and time simply due to where your tires were in their lifecycle . effect was NO close racing , We will see what the summer brings.
moparSRT likes this.

Last edited by Lone Drifter; 05-29-2019 at 09:10 AM.
Old 05-29-2019, 08:55 AM
Tech Elite

My recommendation is to guys complaining, go race 2wd offroad on a loamy dirt offroad track, you will learn the sliding recovery process.
Nobody does loamy/soft dirt tracks anymore.

.........but this is a symptom of a larger problem. Traction is to high in general.
Lone Drifter likes this.
Old 05-29-2019, 01:41 PM
ASM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

I know chiefj48 quite well and here's what I can tell you. First off, he may not be the most PC person you've ever met, however, in this situation it comes from extreme frustration with this tire situation and the refusal for anything to be done to help with the situation, more specific, allowing PF to create a softer compound tire, which PF has already said they'd be willing to do. I would imagine that it's quite possible that Pro-Line already has something available.

On the positive side of things, chiefj48 had a vision to get a racetrack put in place in his hometown. Fortunately, he had a very good friend in Scott Adair and together they spearheaded an effort to get a tack put in place at the Valkaria airport, and have it available for public use. Through the efforts of many, some of which are no longer affiliated with the track, and many who are still today, today we have the best facility in the state of Florida, and quite possibly one of the very best in the U.S. Valkaria has hosted the ROAR Nats, a CTS Race, numerous ROAR Regionals, and even more State Series races. In fact, Valkaria hosted a USVTA Paved Nationals back a few years ago. We had custom handmade trophies and we certainly would have liked to have seen more of you attend and support the race, especially you carpet guys. There were a great number of posts inviting everyone to attend. In addition, this track always provides the racers with a free lunch, not just sometimes, but every single race event, and more importantly, there's always a welcoming environment. No one ever feels "left out" or "excluded"...you know, that certain feeling you get at certain tracks if you're not a regular there. Chiefj48 and the members of the Valkaria crew work tirelessly and continuously on this track to constantly make improvements to all areas of the facility.

But back to the topic at-hand. During this time, one of the classes that chiefj48 has a passion for as do quite a few racers in our area, is VTA. When you could buy the old orange/white packaged HPI tires, you could simply mount them and in a lap or two, you're running as good as your set-up and/or driving would allow. Since the change with HPI, the tires have proven to be very inconsistent at best. You may stumble on a set that works (luckily), or one that's not so good, or one that seems to be just horrible. Again, I'll go back to my previous post, the PF's can be made to work as can the newer batched of HPI's, but it's simply the process of making it happen is quite pain staking. This simply doesn't grow the class.....and despite all odds, that's what Valkaria R/C and chiefj48 have tried their best to do...grow the class, not just sustain it. Chiefj48 has a passion for the class, and as we all know, a passion for something can also lead to extreme frustration....and eventually, outbursts. On a larger scale, look at Kyle Busch statements this year with the NASCAR rules package. Despite 3 wins this season, there's frustration, and then outbursts of anger. Correct or not, it happens. And on any given race day at Valkaria, you will usually find chiefj48 on the podium. You have to understand the frustration isn't necessarily his own, it's those of the racers he tries to help and to provide a fun class for. Again, he is a big advocate for the class. It's also important to understand that asphalt, unlike black carpet is very inconsistent, from track to track...and even day to day. I was there the day mleemor60 came by to give it a shot...and he did spend several hours trying to get it right and to also ask questions of what the locals were doing. I think he had fun, but it wasn't really successful for him. Hopefully he'll return and race with us again.

When one...or many know there's a solution to a problem available, and that solution has the backing of the manufacturer, it is indeed extremely frustrating for those of us who would greatly appreciate it. So, yes, I know chiefj48, and we race each other hard...and I wouldn't have it any other way but I also appreciate what he has done for our local area, and the state of Florida for without him, much of the racing I have enjoyed over the last number of years wouldn't have been possible. Not to mention the best track in the state is about 7 minutes from house. It doesn't get much better than that. The icing on the cake - with the current state of affairs; racing on the decline, tracks closing, hobby shops closing, even in the largest U.S. cities, Valkaria R/C is in a very, very fortunate situation and will continue to be around for years.

As for me, I'll be on the black carpet this coming weekend running vta oval on Saturday and on-road racing on Sunday. Banging doors with MoparSRT and others. Looking forward to the event. Because it's on carpet, like many of you, I won't be worrying about tires. For most of you, this tire situation is something that doesn't impact you. However, if you were to have the luxury of racing outdoors 12 months of the year, with high heat and high humidity, you'd see things from a different perspective. Always remember, passionate opinions do not equal up as complaints.

Not the finish I wanted...but a pretty unique trophy that had a lot of work put into it.

Boomer, Marcos.J, qcrc and 5 others like this.
Old 05-29-2019, 02:28 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ASM
As for me, I'll be on the black carpet this coming weekend running vta oval on Saturday and on-road racing on Sunday. Banging doors with MoparSRT and others. Looking forward to the event.
See ya this weekend Scott , btw i got a donut for your door :-) ... LOL

ASM and NutDriver like this.
Old 05-30-2019, 02:11 PM
Tech Champion

Default 2019 U.S.VTA NATIONALS @APEX RACEWAY

Its coming.....OH YEAH ITS COMING September 2019!!!!

U.S.VTA NATIONALS
qcrc and NutDriver like this.
Old 05-30-2019, 07:47 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Nerobro
Nobody does loamy/soft dirt tracks anymore.

.........but this is a symptom of a larger problem. Traction is to high in general.
You haven't raced offroad outdoors in Eastern Iowa. That's all we have. Dust bowl mains usually.
Nerobro likes this.
Old 05-31-2019, 07:38 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
Its coming.....OH YEAH ITS COMING September 2019!!!!

U.S.VTA NATIONALS

NutDriver likes this.
Old 06-02-2019, 03:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Myron,
We were wondering this weekend when you would start sharing details. September 20-22, huh? Guess I better put in for vacation tomorrow.

Scott
Old 06-02-2019, 05:32 PM
Tech Elite

You haven't raced offroad outdoors in Eastern Iowa. That's all we have. Dust bowl mains usually.
So you can still run rear motor cars :-)
Old 06-02-2019, 08:14 PM
Tech Rookie

Default HPI Vintage 26mm Five Spoke Chrome Wheels - WANTED

Hello! Does anyone know where I can find/buy HPI Vintage 26mm Five Spoke Chrome Wheels? I have the 31mm Chrome, but can only find the the matte in 26mm. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I’m trying to finish up my build and am having zero success finding these damn wheels. thank you in advance.
Old 06-02-2019, 08:55 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by j_hausladen
Hello! Does anyone know where I can find/buy HPI Vintage 26mm Five Spoke Chrome Wheels? I have the 31mm Chrome, but can only find the the matte in 26mm. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I’m trying to finish up my build and am having zero success finding these damn wheels. thank you in advance.
Have you tried TQ or E-bay?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.