Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2 >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

View Poll Results: what's your tire choice?
Protoform
30.67%
HPI
69.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree4318Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Old 11-02-2018, 12:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Best body is one that is light. Aero is meaningless among the ones available. Oh and it is also a body on the approved list. LOL
Old 11-02-2018, 01:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I run the '71 Camaro because my dad had that car growing up and I learned to drive a stick w/ that car. Its the only body i've used for VTA.
JC3 likes this.
Old 11-02-2018, 01:14 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

I fully understand why the folks at USVTA made the decision to change tire manufacturers and fully support the reasoning. I also understand that switching back to HPI (IF, in fact, they are supplying tires again) would be the wrong move entirely (and I have a few sets of HPI tires in-hand that I'd like to use). It would not be an exaggeration in any way to say that VTA survived for YEARS with an unacceptably spotty tire availability while HPI swirled (and swirled and swirled and swirled) down the drain. We survived in SPITE of HPI, not thanks to them.

If the tires are different, I get that. Different tires on REAL cars require a setup change. I'll adapt.

If the tires are changing size, etc., with normal practices (using commercially available compounds a la SXT, etc as intended, not soaking things in volatile chemicals) then that's a problem. If you're soaking your tires in diesel/belt dressing/liquid wrench/fill-in-the-blank you are taking your chances...man up and live with the consequences.

To allow HPI back in would be a mistake. They were AWESOME in their support of the concept (before there was actually a class even, much less a USVTA) when we were trying to get things going, but ultimately we kinda got screwed by them. Here I sit on a couple new sets of HPI tires that I bought up during what much have been the last of their periodic availability spurts before they finally augered in. I knew it was a couple year supply, but I was tired of dealing with "will I find tires in time" if I waited until I NEEDED tires.

There are also profound consequences (to anyone who already has tires) to making any sort of significant change to the PF tires. That said...I'm guessing the feedback has been passed along by the USVTA "powers". The hard thing would be deciding when to implement the change.

We've, as a class, weathered storms before, this too shall pass.
mleemor60 likes this.
Old 11-02-2018, 01:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by IndyRC_Racer
No R/C manufacturer should be above criticism. While we can thank Protoform for stepping up with a VTA tire when HPI couldn't, their product WAS NOT a direct replacement. Now that we've all had enough time to race with this tire, the differences are more obvious. Many of us have shared our experiences using this product and have helped others use this tire more effectively. This is the best thing we can do as RACERS. We can help each other to have more fun with the classes we choose to run.

However, what I want to know is how is USVTA leadership working to improve the issue that some people ARE experiencing with the tires? Are they working with Protorform to change the tire compound to work better on a wider variety of surfaces? Are they working to Protoform to develop recommended tire break-in and tire treatment procedures to get the best performance/life out of the tires? In full scale racing most racing organizations work closely with the tire manufacturers to make sure the racing "show" is the best it can possibly be on the wide variety of circuits that are raced. I honestly don't think it is too much to ask for the USVTA to do the same for us.

What I find most disappointing in this discussion is how dismissive some of the people who I normally respect have been to those who have been struggling with the tires. People aren't upset because they don't like the class, motors, bodies, etc. or because they want to change what the class is. They also aren't complaining just because they are grumpy people in life. They are frustrated because they just can't get the USVTA mandated tire to perform in a consistent manner given their specific track conditions. Their struggles are ruining their enjoyment of the class and affecting the "show" at their track. Criticism is not the same thing as being negative.

I will close this post with some positive things to say about the Protoform VTA tires. They are the only readily available pre-mount option for the class. This helps get new racers into the class who don't have the time or skill to properly mount tires. They also are bit less expensive when you compare them to a set of HPI tires. I've also had a very positive experience using SXT Slime tire conditioner on my new Protoform tires when running indoors on carpet.

There is a lot to enjoy about racing this class. Don't let these discussions prevent joining the class. We are just a passionate group of people who want to make this the best racing experience possible.
Bravo, well said, Rather than be concerned with what the manufacturer want, you should be more focused on what the collective group think will make for better racing as a whole. Less inconsistency will make for more racers not getting frustrated with tire issues and focus on bringing the fun back to class.
Old 11-02-2018, 01:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Now for something positive. We have been getting 8-12 VTA cars weekly at Soda City RC.
Adam W. likes this.
Old 11-02-2018, 01:41 PM
JC3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I run bodies that I think look cool and hopefully look a bit different by paint job. Where I race there is an excellent variety. In the last race we had HPI and PF Camaros, Firebirds, and a Cuda. Good looking field!
Old 11-03-2018, 11:18 AM
Tech Champion

bodies in USGT, tires in VTA.... wish my internet would break down
Old 11-03-2018, 01:33 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
bodies in USGT, tires in VTA.... wish my internet would break down
very simple, don’t turn it on!!
You back an organization that only represents half of the racers. They have NOT once addressed the problems and show NO leadership whatsoever.
Run ROAR VTA and be done with it.
Just saying.
Old 11-03-2018, 03:21 PM
Tech Adept

Has the new Trinity motor been approved by ROAR yet? If not, wouldn't that make it illegal for USVTA competition? Asking for a friend.
Old 11-03-2018, 06:02 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by microed
Has the new Trinity motor been approved by ROAR yet? If not, wouldn't that make it illegal for USVTA competition? Asking for a friend.
For a big race I would say yes due to that it is not Roar approved, however local club track can say yes or no. It is up to the track director.
Old 11-04-2018, 06:50 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by chiefj48

very simple, don’t turn it on!!
You back an organization that only represents half of the racers. They have NOT once addressed the problems and show NO leadership whatsoever.
Run ROAR VTA and be done with it.
Just saying.
A. its a joke.WiFi is everywhere.

B. I back the USVTA cause I know it does its BEST at every angle to make sure the classes are taking the proper steps to get another 10 years of racing. I don't always agree with Rob or Kev, but I know they care and want whats best for the classes.

C. and just because you DONT know if its been address, you shouldn't assume it hasn't. Just because its not posted here, doesn't mean a solution isn't already in the works. Basically have some patients and see if there is anything that can be done. Maybe even getting HPI tires back on the list, IF they can keep up with demand. Or if PF can make a separate asphalt tire, or soften up the current one.

D. Hey 50/50...that's the margin of happiness with RC racers, and the world.... you make half the world happy...the other half hates you.

So unless you are going to OFFICIAL USVTA events, you can run HPI tires outdoors for club or regional races, but if you show up at the Big 3, you will run PF...and BTW, all the BIG USVTA events are on carpet anyway
Old 11-04-2018, 10:26 AM
Tech Master

A. its a joke.WiFi is everywhere.

B. I back the USVTA cause I know it does its BEST at every angle to make sure the classes are taking the proper steps to get another 10 years of racing. I don't always agree with Rob or Kev, but I know they care and want whats best for the classes.

C. and just because you DONT know if its been address, you shouldn't assume it hasn't. Just because its not posted here, doesn't mean a solution isn't already in the works. Basically have some patients and see if there is anything that can be done. Maybe even getting HPI tires back on the list, IF they can keep up with demand. Or if PF can make a separate asphalt tire, or soften up the current one.

D. Hey 50/50...that's the margin of happiness with RC racers, and the world.... you make half the world happy...the other half hates you.

So unless you are going to OFFICIAL USVTA events, you can run HPI tires outdoors for club or regional races, but if you show up at the Big 3, you will run PF...and BTW, all the BIG USVTA events are on carpet anyway
Well I’m glad I got your attention!!
Thanks for the info!!
Lets see if they come up with a response or solution sooner, than later.
Old 11-04-2018, 12:09 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Pffft! It's more like 90/10 against! You can't make anybody happy. At least not on RC Tech!
NutDriver likes this.
Old 11-04-2018, 05:51 PM
JC3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jiml
Pffft! It's more like 90/10 against! You can't make anybody happy. At least not on RC Tech!
True. Just have to remember that this thread represents a miniscule number of all of the people racing. So, really, not representative of the the group as a whole at all.
jiml and Billy Kelly like this.
Old 11-05-2018, 07:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Default USVTA "organization"

I see posts about the USVTA "organization" and wonder how much those making the posts know about it. This "organization" is made up of two people. Both of then have full time jobs. Prior to the national points series that they started a few years ago, the received ZERO DOLLARS for organizing, maintaining, and updating the national rule set. Not one red cent. Since the inception of the national points series, they have received the exorbitant sum of $15 per competitor per year fir three classes and an overall champ. That means keeping regular tabs on submitted points for races and racers throughout the nation and updating national points tables and the website, updationg the Facebook page, working with Protoform on developing a legal tire for the class due to the HPI debacle, and working with body manufacturers on what is legal and not. At the end of the points season, they take the large majority (if not 100%, or maybe even some of their personal funds) for trophies, etc that they mail to competitors nationwide.
If you don't like the tires for the class, work with your race director on an exception to the national rules! You can get HPIs and you prefer them? RUN THEM! Of the people complaining about the national rules, I have to wonder how many race outside local club races. In my opinion, outside "big" races, the national rules are subject to interpretation and that the racers should work together with the RD at their track on exceptions.
Thanks.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.