Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2 >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: what's your tire choice?
Protoform
30.67%
HPI
69.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree4318Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2018, 04:00 PM
Ike
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bigwavedave33
The class doesn't need a bunch of whiney girls anyway. PF didn't have to make the tires and the class could have disappeared. See the purpose of the class is to be equal. That is the spirit of the rules... You're response just shows you are one of those people that would rather complain than take what is given to you and make the best of it. You are choosing to bad mouth the tires which in turn hurts the class just because it's not as easy as it used to be. So put you're big girl panties on and race.
The class doesn't need sexist keyboard warriors either...

If the tires really don't work well for asphalt, then whoever makes the rules for VTA and approves tires should try to find a solution.
Old 04-15-2018, 08:56 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by bigwavedave33
The class doesn't need a bunch of whiney girls anyway. PF didn't have to make the tires and the class could have disappeared. See the purpose of the class is to be equal. That is the spirit of the rules... You're response just shows you are one of those people that would rather complain than take what is given to you and make the best of it. You are choosing to bad mouth the tires which in turn hurts the class just because it's not as easy as it used to be. So put you're big girl panties on and race.
Wow , You must really love these tires!
Rule Number One of Debate Club, The one who resorts to insults loses the debate.
ASM and Joe Maxey like this.
Old 04-15-2018, 08:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

The HPI tires were too soft for asphalt anyway. We used to blow through a set in less than 2 race days at the more abrasive tracks (T&L in PA) and we'd only make it to 3 race days at the slippery tracks (SI beach). I, for one, welcome cars that slide around. It makes the racing experience SO much better in my opinion.
mariob62 likes this.
Old 04-16-2018, 06:38 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Greg Sharpe
The HPI tires were too soft for asphalt anyway. We used to blow through a set in less than 2 race days at the more abrasive tracks (T&L in PA) and we'd only make it to 3 race days at the slippery tracks (SI beach). I, for one, welcome cars that slide around. It makes the racing experience SO much better in my opinion.
I'm in agreement with you. Racing is so much better in general if the cars are traction limited, and not power limited. Brings throttle control, driving finesse, setup skills, etc., into play. Racers are constantly complaining about RC racing being so expensive and wallet racing. Well guess what? With the PF tires on asphalt, it's much more fair. At our track, TC4s, TC5s, TC6s, TC7s, Xrays, and others are all evenly matched in VTA. The fast guys are still the fast guys. And we're all having a blast.

Plus it's nice to have a set of tires last for weeks and months, and not a few sessions.

Mark C
mariob62, DaSilva3525 and Falconz like this.
Old 04-16-2018, 07:20 AM
Tech Master

So how are you prepping the PF tires for Black CRC ??
After a 4 year break i'm back at it again, opened up a new set of PF's and after several hours and hundreds of laps the tires are still hard as a rock, car pushes on and off throttle where setup changes make no difference. I drove it(drifted) on asphalt to scuff them up but that didn't help either, SXT 3.0 had zero effect, eventually borrowed a used set of HPI's and instantly dropped 2 seconds off my laps. All 7 cars were on HPI's, qualified 2nd ... finished 1st.

So after reading how bad they suck on asphalt but are great on carpet, have to say I'm either doing something wrong(breaking them in) or got a defective set.

Old 04-16-2018, 07:26 AM
Tech Initiate

PF tires on black CRC carpet with a TC4. I just use regular SXT. I had issues with understeer, but was able to tune it out with setup.
Old 04-16-2018, 08:05 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Greg Sharpe
True they are a little soft , I had better wear then that . when I started with a new set outside I would get 4-5 race days out of them , If I had a set that were broken in on carpet but not really worn I would get 6 or 7 days . Most of the places I race ourside heavily treat the track with sugar water or pop
I used the tires until the Front tires had a ridge of death that tore open , but they worked until then
Old 04-16-2018, 08:06 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Falconz
PF tires on black CRC carpet with a TC4. I just use regular SXT. I had issues with understeer, but was able to tune it out with setup.
Changes to ride height, droop, shock location and spring rate made verrrrrrry little difference, the push/understeer was just too much, but with the HPI's it was instantly hooked up.

Are your tires hard/dry/plastic like to the touch?? if not they how long did it take for that to change ??
Old 04-16-2018, 08:22 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by moparSRT
So how are you prepping the PF tires for Black CRC ??
After a 4 year break i'm back at it again, opened up a new set of PF's and after several hours and hundreds of laps the tires are still hard as a rock, car pushes on and off throttle where setup changes make no difference. I drove it(drifted) on asphalt to scuff them up but that didn't help either, SXT 3.0 had zero effect, eventually borrowed a used set of HPI's and instantly dropped 2 seconds off my laps. All 7 cars were on HPI's, qualified 2nd ... finished 1st.

So after reading how bad they suck on asphalt but are great on carpet, have to say I'm either doing something wrong(breaking them in) or got a defective set.

I have been trying to break in a third set, After the first race they will still sliding and slow , when they start getting some traction they start expanding they get better , Good for 5-6 race days having to ajust ride height and gearing , then when the start traction rolling You may have to CA the outter side wall they work again ,Then you can't get less then 5.5mm ride height save them for outside , I don't know after that. My only experience with them outside was at the very end of last asphalt season , they were drift tires , Had to settle for my HPI Vintage Slicks which were sliding but better then PF
Old 04-16-2018, 08:29 AM
Tech Master

I think that if PF just tweaked the tire formula by making the current tire softer then the current tire but a little harder then the HPI tire I think the would be pefect for both
Old 04-16-2018, 08:32 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Lone Drifter
I have been trying to break in a third set, After the first race they will still sliding and slow , when they start getting some traction they start expanding they get better , Good for 5-6 race days having to ajust ride height and gearing , then when the start traction rolling You may have to CA the outter side wall they work again ,Then you can't get less then 5.5mm ride height save them for outside , I don't know after that. My only experience with them outside was at the very end of last asphalt season , they were drift tires , Had to settle for my HPI Vintage Slicks which were sliding but better then PF
How are you breaking them in ?? just laps or soaking them in solvents like Eric recommended for asphalt ... I put hundreds of laps on them and they look and feel like they just came out of the bag.
Old 04-16-2018, 08:34 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Spent first week running the Protoform Tires. I know my layout doesn’t have any fast corners but they seem to be doing ok.

hopefully won’t be too much longer before I can try them on a prepared surface.
Old 04-16-2018, 08:36 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Lone Drifter
I think that if PF just tweaked the tire formula by making the current tire softer then the current tire but a little harder then the HPI tire I think the would be pefect for both
I cant believe the USVTA gods requested and approved a compound so far off HPI, ProLine has been making tires for decades, they would have no problem duplicating the HPI compound which has a proven track record.
Old 04-16-2018, 08:40 AM
Tech Master

How are you breaking them in ?? just laps or soaking them in solvents like Eric recommended for asphalt ... I put hundreds of laps on them and they look and feel like they just came out of the bag.
My first set I was at a offroad race and i would apply every sauce I had , LCG ,SXT LG2 Gravity4 used the first two multiple times (maybe 3 times each) then did the last to once it took all day . then I put them in a ziplock bag they were pretty good., For the set Im trying to break in now I only have LCG , and SXT . Its reall not working too good
Old 04-16-2018, 08:41 AM
Tech Addict

Changes to ride height, droop, shock location and spring rate made verrrrrrry little difference, the push/understeer was just too much, but with the HPI's it was instantly hooked up.

Are your tires hard/dry/plastic like to the touch?? if not they how long did it take for that to change ??
Maybe try a higher roll center up front to generate some mech grip with some camber gain on top even. Did you go less droop up front?

Not trying to tell you what to do, but maybe throw around some set up changes in here?

-Less droop up front (more droop in rear if you want more off power steering / weight transfer towards the front)
-If you are at -1 toe go to 0
-If you are at -1.5 camber up front, maybe try that extra .5 to get it up to -2
-Sauce whole front if you are only doing half.
-Rear toe, go down to 2.5 or 2.0 if you are at 3 degree current.
-Higher spring rate up front (or try and move shock one hole towards the outside if you haven't) or go progressive front springs
-If you were playing with the front shock position only I would go to the rear and try one hole towards the outside. Ride height split 5mm front if you can get it that low and 5.2 rear or 5.2 front and 5.4 rear.
-Higher roll center up front (mentioned up top)
-More camber gain up front

Just a few off the top of my head. Your Sakura has a lot more flex then most CF or alum chassis cars to you have that advantage on the VTA tire in a way.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.