Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2 >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: what's your tire choice?
Protoform
30.67%
HPI
69.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree4318Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2018, 02:42 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Originally Posted by belewis01
Been racing USGT over 2 years - never had a set swell up using Paragon or SXT compound.

I stopped using Liquid Wrench when I ran off road because it caused tires to swell and foam to break down - ironically I was predominately running Pro-Line ( aka ProtoForm ) tires. I wouldn't be surprised if the VTA tires are using one of their off road compounds.
SXT 3.0 is the only compound allowed at our indoor track. At our track everyone’s tyres swell up... from top drivers to sportsman.

I also only use SXT to clean the tyre and prep it prior to race.
Old 04-02-2018, 06:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)
Default USVTA Scale Nats This Weekend 4/6-4/8

Originally Posted by WindyCityRC
Just a reminder in case you haven't seen the flyer.....
Old 04-08-2018, 04:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Had a chance to run the protoform Vta premount tires today on our spec Vta class on an asphalt parking lot track (prepped with grape soda).

Our spec Vta class is our Euro Truck chassis with a Vta body & Vta premount tires. I was an absolutly incredible fun class to race. We only have 2 cars built so far (3 more will be finished by our next club race) but we made a go of it. We used Stx 3.0 sauce on brand new out of the package tires. It took a full practice and 2 rounds of quals before the tires stated working really good. They slid around at first but once broken in they were good (not hpi good but good). To me they felt very similar to the Euro Truck tires. Our Euro Truck class and Vta turned the same lap times.

I'll give them 2 thumbs up.
RoyU and DaSilva3525 like this.
Old 04-08-2018, 05:12 PM
Tech Master

We did extensive testing of them this weekend at Valkaria RC, and over all I give them two thumbs down on asphalt. I STILL personally feel we need an asphalt tire, and if we can’t get the correct compound, the class will suffer at our track.
Just my $.02 worth.
Old 04-09-2018, 06:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Why will it suffer? Is it because you have to actually use throttle control and not just peg the trigger WAO all the way around the track? Or is it that people cannot just copy a ready made set-up from a “pro” or Petite RC? I know in today’s world, even for adults, it’s a tragedy to have to learn and do your own work.

USVTA isn’t touring car. This class isn’t supposed to have the precise handling and super high traction (or speed) of a touring car. Everyone is complaining that tourin car is too fast and needs to slow down. Well here is a class that does that, and guess what, people still complain.
jiml, Beef, DaSilva3525 and 1 others like this.
Old 04-09-2018, 06:48 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Joe, will there be an event at the track on the 28th of April?
Old 04-09-2018, 07:57 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mleemor60
Joe, will there be an event at the track on the 28th of April?
We will be racing on April 22nd & 29th. Hobbytowninternationalraceway.com for details for on our series racing and rcfiles.com (Hobby Town Austin) for our club info or text 5124436757 with any questions.
Old 04-09-2018, 08:26 AM
ASM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by theproffesor
Why will it suffer? Is it because you have to actually use throttle control and not just peg the trigger WAO all the way around the track? Or is it that people cannot just copy a ready made set-up from a “pro” or Petite RC? I know in today’s world, even for adults, it’s a tragedy to have to learn and do your own work.

USVTA isn’t touring car. This class isn’t supposed to have the precise handling and super high traction (or speed) of a touring car. Everyone is complaining that tourin car is too fast and needs to slow down. Well here is a class that does that, and guess what, people still complain.
So, I'm going to try this one last time for those of you that fail to thoroughly read and comprehend the posts of others. BECAUSE THERE ARE THOSE OF US WHO HAVE TESTED THE TIRES ARE NOT PLEASED WITH THE PERFORMANCE DOES NOT EQUATE TO A LACK OF EFFORT - OR TRYING TO COPY A "PRO" SET-UP OR ANYTHING ELSE. There, is that clear enough now? How about before you respond with some sort asinine comment that you actually think before you type?

The tires have to soaked to work to some degree as PF clearly stated. This is against the rules, correct? In addition, this class does attract new racers, and newbies are not chassis experts and the amount of testing, tweaking, and manipulations needed to get decent traction will turn off a newbie on asphalt every time. What part of this is so difficult for you and others to understand? Who in the hell ever said this was a TC class or expected it be.

This is a forum where DIFFERENT ideas and such are discussed. Asking for a softer compound is not a complaint. It is a REQUEST!!! Because you and your facility may be happy with the product does NOT equate to the fact that everyone else should be or is. And that does not therefore make them a complainer, or being lazy, or anything else that you can negatively associate with them.

I put in many hours this past weekend of testing the PF tires. Guess what, exactly what I thought would work for traction compound did, and in fact we found something else that was pretty good too. But here's the bottom line, the car still has the drift feeling in certain corners....can I drive it, you bet. Do I enjoy it? Nope. Is it fun? Not really. We had one car that no matter what we tried with that car, it wasn't very good at all. And guess what, he's pretty new to the hobby. Guess what....he's over the class now. The FUN factor is not even close.

My biggest gripe with some of you guys is this; what difference in the world does it make to any of you if a different (softer) compound was introduced? Seriously, please answer me in the harm that would be caused. Though we certainly expect that will never happen. We'd just simply like to have a tire that offers what we had before or something very close. We're trying to bring the class back here and this tire isn't working. This class is about fun, and at our facility where air temps hit the mid-80's this weekend, the tire was only fair at best. So imagine when it gets 98 degrees with super high humidity and the track temps are through the roof! Who wants to chase all these variables? Ah, the fun....

You tell me where there's a current class where tire traction is a current issue, and I'll show you a class that you'll never grow. That my friend is a fact! A request is not a complaint. Requests were made to get rid of legal USGT bodies and that request was granted. Unfortunately, asphalt is a small minority and we know that our request will not be taken seriously but it never hurts to ask. I am now done with the tire issue on asphalt
Old 04-09-2018, 08:45 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by ASM
So, I'm going to try this one last time for those of you that fail to thoroughly read and comprehend the posts of others. BECAUSE THERE ARE THOSE OF US WHO HAVE TESTED THE TIRES ARE NOT PLEASED WITH THE PERFORMANCE DOES NOT EQUATE TO A LACK OF EFFORT - OR TRYING TO COPY A "PRO" SET-UP OR ANYTHING ELSE. There, is that clear enough now? How about before you respond with some sort asinine comment that you actually think before you type?

The tires have to soaked to work to some degree as PF clearly stated. This is against the rules, correct? In addition, this class does attract new racers, and newbies are not chassis experts and the amount of testing, tweaking, and manipulations needed to get decent traction will turn off a newbie on asphalt every time. What part of this is so difficult for you and others to understand? Who in the hell ever said this was a TC class or expected it be.

This is a forum where DIFFERENT ideas and such are discussed. Asking for a softer compound is not a complaint. It is a REQUEST!!! Because you and your facility may be happy with the product does NOT equate to the fact that everyone else should be or is. And that does not therefore make them a complainer, or being lazy, or anything else that you can negatively associate with them.

I put in many hours this past weekend of testing the PF tires. Guess what, exactly what I thought would work for traction compound did, and in fact we found something else that was pretty good too. But here's the bottom line, the car still has the drift feeling in certain corners....can I drive it, you bet. Do I enjoy it? Nope. Is it fun? Not really. We had one car that no matter what we tried with that car, it wasn't very good at all. And guess what, he's pretty new to the hobby. Guess what....he's over the class now. The FUN factor is not even close.

My biggest gripe with some of you guys is this; what difference in the world does it make to any of you if a different (softer) compound was introduced? Seriously, please answer me in the harm that would be caused. Though we certainly expect that will never happen. We'd just simply like to have a tire that offers what we had before or something very close. We're trying to bring the class back here and this tire isn't working. This class is about fun, and at our facility where air temps hit the mid-80's this weekend, the tire was only fair at best. So imagine when it gets 98 degrees with super high humidity and the track temps are through the roof! Who wants to chase all these variables? Ah, the fun....

You tell me where there's a current class where tire traction is a current issue, and I'll show you a class that you'll never grow. That my friend is a fact! A request is not a complaint. Requests were made to get rid of legal USGT bodies and that request was granted. Unfortunately, asphalt is a small minority and we know that our request will not be taken seriously but it never hurts to ask. I am now done with the tire issue on asphalt
When it's such a niche class one tire and one tire only seems to be it. USGT is the same way, one spec tire for both surfaces. HPI was on the way out with the old tires... PF steps up to Create the only tire for the class (VTA would of died completely if not) This is what is it. Just be happy they did save the class and clearly, worldwide people have made them work on Carpet and Asphalt.

How about you guys list the chassis changes made and tried and some input can be passed around this thread to better the sitch..

Why would two compounds be hurtful? Opens up a can of worms USGT and VTA Never had to deal with like TC does. I feel anyway.

Get back out there and tune boys, because it's the only option you actually have
Old 04-09-2018, 08:50 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by theproffesor

We just got three new people to build VTA cars n four more to come back. The tires do NOT work for us!! Period!!!!

If you want to slow down a class limit the FDR NOT the tires!!!

If we want a drift car class we know where to get tires!!

I think some of you misunderstand our motives and are missing the big picture.

If you want to go slow, slip n slide, use throttle control, then race off road and let the BIG Dogs race on road!!!

We will figure out the best way to fix our tire issues even if it means running a different tire brand.

End of Story!!!
Old 04-09-2018, 08:56 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by DaSilva3525
When it's such a niche class one tire and one tire only seems to be it. USGT is the same way, one spec tire for both surfaces. HPI was on the way out with the old tires... PF steps up to Create the only tire for the class (VTA would of died completely if not) This is what is it. Just be happy they did save the class and clearly, worldwide people have made them work on Carpet and Asphalt.

How about you guys list the chassis changes made and tried and some input can be passed around this thread to better the sitch..

Why would two compounds be hurtful? Opens up a can of worms USGT and VTA Never had to deal with like TC does. I feel anyway.

Get back out there and tune boys, because it's the only option you actually have

Really??
Wow!!!

Every other tire manufacturer makes multiple compounds of their tires, and you think only one compound should be used in VTA??

I rest my case.
Old 04-09-2018, 09:00 AM
Tech Addict

REALLY!? WOW!? lol..

What did you sign up for when you started racing VTA. One tire choice.

USGT / VTA = One TIRE CHOICE SINCE THE START
Old 04-09-2018, 09:03 AM
ASM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Ok, so I lied, I'm not done posting because you're still not reading the posts and comprehending. I just told you two different traction compounds worked pretty well. I also told you that my car was pretty good. However, I told you it still drifted in some corners. I also told you I could drive it. Look, set-up suggestions are a dime a dozen. If set-up were consistent from car to car and track to track and class to class, well then we'd all be running just about the same thing huh?

The one car that had more struggles than the rest, we changed shock angles, shock springs, camber, roll centers, and rear toe. ESC settings will have to be looked at next time. I drove his car and couldn't get it around the track effectively. This car has been looked at by 3 different racers.

As I posted sometime back, I do not need to be reminded that PF saved that class. AS I STATED THEN, WE'RE VERY THANKFUL! I also race carpet in Daytona and the tire is a blessing. On OUR asphalt it is not FUN. Look, I can get it to work but it's not a lot fun.

And for the very last time, please give those that race at our track in this more credit than not understanding how to make chassis changes to compensate for the tire. I just told you twice, it worked for me but when the class was struggling here before the HPI's disappeared, this isn't helping.

So, you consider having two tire compounds "a can of worms"? You can't actually be serious can you? So, did you freak out just the same when the motor rules opened up and Novak wasn't the only choice and the ESC rules opened up too? Endless selections and possibilities...but two tire compounds is just over the top, huh? The logic astounds me....
chiefj48 likes this.
Old 04-09-2018, 09:05 AM
Tech Master

At least USGT tires are drivable on carpet and asphalt.
I have two sets of PF tires that have been used this last carpet season they are bloated and soft , trying to break in a new set for carpet now ( which is also a job).
Hopefully the will work well enough on asphalt to not instantly wear away in a race or two..
In thirty years of RC racing I have never seen tires that have this reation to softening chemicals. .
I am starting to not even like them on black carpet due to their lack of consistantcy..
chiefj48 likes this.
Old 04-09-2018, 09:13 AM
Tech Addict

ASM maybe I missed your previous posts about your set up. Not taking credit from anyone and not trolling either. So you seen an improvement with your tuning & set up changes with your efforts that's awesome.. keep going spread the values to others.

The one thing you guys are miss understanding.. at the end of the day you have one choice for the class tire wise. Chassis / electronics you have options until your hearts content. The only thing keeping VTA an actual class is the "spec tire" and body just like USGT's Gravity tire is keeping that class what it is.

So when PF doesn't change the compound what are you guys going to do outdoors? TC? Quit? Post more on RC Tech? Asking for a friend

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.