Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2 >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: what's your tire choice?
Protoform
30.67%
HPI
69.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree4318Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2018, 07:25 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Originally Posted by vivo quevas
I don't race Xray cars but I recommend more rear tow then you run on HPI tires this will help you get around track. PF tires need more run in then HPI tires do so practice and run the PF tires as many times you can before racing PF tires. About the time you stop hearing the PF tires they are race ready. If you hear the PF tires screaming at you they are. 5 to 1 second a lap slower or undriveable. You can race PF front with HPI rears the car will be OK.
ok thank you
Old 02-28-2018, 11:54 AM
Tech Elite

The newbie thing is one of the biggest problems in all of RC. Airplanes too. So much to learn, and your chances of success are dependent on knowing answers. Most racers will help if they can. Sometimes during racing is a tough time because you are mentally and physically committed to your own car(s). But before and after, many help. We have several at Indy RC Raceway that will help no matter what. Good guys.
JC3 likes this.
Old 02-28-2018, 11:56 AM
Tech Elite

Wonder why tracks/hobby shops don't take a TC4, add motor/ESC/servo, etc. and SELL an assembled VTA car with all the right stuff?

They could assemble a good choice of components and sell a RTR version at the hobby shop?

I mean if you have skilled employees, often they aren't busy and could make one or two VTA cars a week to stock and sell couldn't they? The shop doesn't need to charge for their time to assemble, they are being paid to work there anyway.

When the toilets are clean and the merchandise dusted and restocked, build some RTR VTA cars!
Old 02-28-2018, 12:37 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by IndyHobbies.com
Wonder why tracks/hobby shops don't take a TC4, add motor/ESC/servo, etc. and SELL an assembled VTA car with all the right stuff?

They could assemble a good choice of components and sell a RTR version at the hobby shop?

I mean if you have skilled employees, often they aren't busy and could make one or two VTA cars a week to stock and sell couldn't they? The shop doesn't need to charge for their time to assemble, they are being paid to work there anyway.

When the toilets are clean and the merchandise dusted and restocked, build some RTR VTA cars!
Scott, I like that idea. Even if they don't build it, have a package available. Put in the most commonly used items for the class - radio/esc/motor/battery/servo etc... And stock the replacement parts for the car you sell in the package. Know what gear ratios work for that package.

Take it a step further and offer a couple of tiers, basic and top of the line. A TC4 and a TC7.1/Xray/whatever. But have the parts.
JC3 likes this.
Old 02-28-2018, 01:46 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by 0010
Scott, I like that idea. Even if they don't build it, have a package available. Put in the most commonly used items for the class - radio/esc/motor/battery/servo etc... And stock the replacement parts for the car you sell in the package. Know what gear ratios work for that package.

Take it a step further and offer a couple of tiers, basic and top of the line. A TC4 and a TC7.1/Xray/whatever. But have the parts.
Right! Seems like a no-brainer. When I built my first VTA car, I bet I made 4 or 5 trips to the hobbyshop to get what I needed. Just put it all in one bag, yes!
Old 02-28-2018, 02:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

It is a no brainer. It is definitely the correct way to handle it except for one very small point. STICKER SHOCK!! The only thing that a twenty something can compare it to is a Play Station or X-Box. Either of which they can use without any worthwhile learning curve and don't have to get off the couch or leave Mom's basement.

I have been back in the larger scale stuff for about a year. Even with the help of friends and skillful shopping through all the usual outlets I am in for an amount that I really don't want to add up and I have sufficient disposable income to cover it.

Packages are truly the way to go but I would look at picking up buy outs and then making sure that everything is good to go. Then pair the noob with a racer that uses the same equipment so that what they learn is what they need.

One of the most serious concerns we have with growth is the seasoned(and frequently brand poisoned)racer telling a person that might become a willing participant that "you really need to have this solid gold dodaddy for a nanny goat's a$$ if you are ever going to have the ghost of a chance of setting the world on fire. If and when you see or hear this just walk up to the guy that is speaking and give him a great big DiNozo*(sp?) and just walk away.

* smack on the back of the head

Last edited by mleemor60; 03-01-2018 at 06:56 AM.
Old 02-28-2018, 03:45 PM
Tech Master

Im just hoping that PF tires raced indoor all carpet season will be good for racing outside , If that doesn't work . we will see what happens
massenb203 likes this.
Old 02-28-2018, 05:42 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 0010

I suggested this to Associated 6 months ago. Never heard back. Last summer they had a package deal for buggy. Don’t recall which model, but it was kit, motor/esc and servo. Controller and receiver were not offered.

No reason a hobby store can’t come up with a simple package deal.
Old 02-28-2018, 07:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly
I suggested this to Associated 6 months ago. Never heard back. Last summer they had a package deal for buggy. Don’t recall which model, but it was kit, motor/esc and servo. Controller and receiver were not offered.

No reason a hobby store can’t come up with a simple package deal.
A package deal for someone with no equipment will be at least $525, and that's with a tc4 and cheapest electronics possible. That's not including tools. Unfortunately that's a lot more than most off-road rtrs.
Old 02-28-2018, 07:47 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BadSign
A package deal for someone with no equipment will be at least $525, and that's with a tc4 and cheapest electronics possible. That's not including tools. Unfortunately that's a lot more than most off-road rtrs.
That’s still far better then the $1,200 plus a local track is know for suggesting to those wanting to start.
I actually race a legal 21.5 RTR. The BSR BT4. Unfortunately it doesn’t seem to be available as RTR anymore. I couldn’t pass trying at $220.
They also offered a Almost ready to run with a 13.5 system. I’d wondered if they could or would do a 25.5. But I’ve now learned that the Trackstar 25.5 was never approved by ROAR.
massenb203 likes this.
Old 02-28-2018, 07:51 PM
JC3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BadSign
I spent twice that just to get on the track and I bought mid grade equipment. (Hobbywing/Protek/etc) Don't forget the $120 transponder, batteries, a charger, a bag, body(s), stand, light, and those pesky spare parts! Combine that with a month of determining what I needed, shopping for the best prices, wondering if I was making wise decisions, waiting for stuff to arrive (the old RC everythings on backorder nightmare), then sorting it all out once I got it (TC4 kit was unusable out of the box), and I was going nuts wondering if it was all worth it.

It was, because I'm really having a blast!
massenb203 likes this.

Last edited by JC3; 02-28-2018 at 07:53 PM. Reason: added info
Old 03-01-2018, 06:26 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

ASC30101 - Team Associated TC4 "Club Racer" Electric 1/10 Touring Car Kit (Pre-Built)

$149.99
$149.99
Remove
ASC287 - Reedy Sonic 540-M3 ROAR Spec Brushless Motor (25.5T)

$89.99
$89.99
Remove
ASC27006 - Reedy Blackbox 600Z 2S Zero-Timing ESC
Ships in 2 to 3 days

$69.99
$69.99
Remove
ASC27110 - Reedy 0712MG Digital Hi-Speed Metal Gear Servo (High Voltage)
Ships in 2 to 3 days

$32.99
$32.99
Remove
ASC27317 - Reedy WolfPack HV 2S Hard Case LiPo 50C Battery Pack (7.6V/5100mAh)
Note: Lithium batteries cannot be shipped internationally via USPS; shipping via UPS is subject to HazMat, with fees and limited availability

$48.99
$48.99
Sub-Total: $391.95

Old 03-01-2018, 07:09 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

That isn't a bad start up cost for new competitive package. Lets call it an even $392. Add a basic transmitter and receiver for say $125. Then a basic battery charger for $75. It won't come with VTA tires and wheels so there is another $40. An Associated tool set for $30. Probably will need a body so another $30 and $5 for paint. Let's just round it to $700 to allow for tax. That still isn't bad for a pretty complete start up that will actually get you to the track ready to break something. But it is still a pretty big sticker shock to the people you are trying to reach.
scirocco14 likes this.
Old 03-01-2018, 08:07 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: the best way to get people into USVTA is to put a transmitter in their hands and loan them a car to race. We ALL have old chassis/electronics that aren't good enough for 'our' racing but would work perfectly well for a newbie to learn on.

I always have a TC4 loaner USVTA car available at every race I go to, with a cheap transmitter. I even provide the transponder. That car has been in more hands than a cheap Bourbon Street hooker. But the percentage of people who have decided to get their own VTA car after racing it is pretty damn high. They get to try it out at very little risk or commitment of funds. As the drug dealer, I like to say 'the first hit is free'. LOL.

This person also gets to have a mentor who can guide him/her in the right direction in terms of equipment. And can ask a lot of questions, get good answers and not waste money trying to figure out what is needed.

Do I think the same rate of success would occur if the local hobby shop had a 'VTA' package on the shelf? No, I do not. Even if it's only $500 or $600, it's still sticker shock. BUT, if they get to race a couple of times and decide they like it, THEN the VTA package would be attractive.

If we want to grow OUR ranks, then we need to be proactive and not demand or rely on someone else to do it for us.

Bring a loaner car and a new person to your next race, that's how to do it.
Old 03-01-2018, 08:24 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by mleemor60
That isn't a bad start up cost for new competitive package. Lets call it an even $392. Add a basic transmitter and receiver for say $125. Then a basic battery charger for $75. It won't come with VTA tires and wheels so there is another $40. An Associated tool set for $30. Probably will need a body so another $30 and $5 for paint. Let's just round it to $700 to allow for tax. That still isn't bad for a pretty complete start up that will actually get you to the track ready to break something. But it is still a pretty big sticker shock to the people you are trying to reach.
But we'll stand in line all night to spend that much, and more for a swanky new phone...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.