Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2 >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: what's your tire choice?
Protoform
30.67%
HPI
69.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree4318Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 08:45 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DarthRacer
How old is the USVTA class now?

This thread just got bumped and it looks like one of the first discussions about the possibility of a vintage class, calling it a Nostalgia series.
http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...gia-class.html
8 or 9 years old, maybe
Old 12-10-2014, 08:53 AM
Tech Rookie

hai everyone,
i judith ... i don't see 1971 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am Clear Body,VTA...
i freak about Pontiac Firebird
Old 12-10-2014, 08:56 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by judith
hai everyone,
i judith ... i don't see 1971 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am Clear Body,VTA...
i freak about Pontiac Firebird
Here are your options.

1970 TA from McAllister : http://www.stormerhobbies.com/cgi-bi...c=ns&pn=MCA295

1971 TA from Protoform : http://www.stormerhobbies.com/cgi-bi...&pn=PFM1535-30
Old 12-10-2014, 02:57 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 1210 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 18to88
Thanks for the quick replies.
No I do have a setup station. I do understand that fast is smooth and smooth is fast.
I guess I will ask one the other drivers to drive my car.....I have read and read on setup....but I could and probably are off.
Pretty much all the other drivers run the 17.5 class also....so out classed there...lol
One thing we are doing is tire prep......maybe over doing it!
Is the car ill handling or slow? Depending on the track you will need gearing to be 4.0 or lower. Like Mark had said setup is almost everything.

USVTA is a slower class, but has a lot of high class drivers! Very competitive so you have to be on your game.
Old 12-10-2014, 05:30 PM
Tech Addict

So myself and buddy started VTA.....I have raced 1/8 scale nitro dirt oval for 3 years and I thought I was pretty good. My buddy has raced off an on for years and is way better than me.
We both buy TC 6.1's and were off.........we think......
We have been to the track for 4 race days. We always get there early so we can practice.
Bottom line is we suck....bad.....like I am around 3 sometimes 4 seconds off the pace,he is better maybe 2. We thought this class was for beginners I guess not.
So how do we improve? I don't want to bother the other racers.
Or am I expecting too much to soon?
We are old guys also....lol
Where are you running? FWIW, there is a track in Columbus that runs on Saturdays (day) and a track on the South side of Indy that runs on Friday (night).

But like some of the other guys have already asked, we first need to figure out if it is the car or you? Once the car has a manageable setup on it, then you can practice, practice, practice. It can be really frustrating if the car is junk. We've had a couple new guys in Indy recently. Everyone helped out including Indy_RC_Racer and others. Mainly to get an initial setup on the car to make it drivable.

Also, are you the same 18to88 from the ColtFreaks board?
Old 12-10-2014, 05:38 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Since I posted this my friend and I have discussed your guys responses.
We know that because we are older I am 54 and he is 57 that our reaction time is slower....lol
We are noobs to this class but we do have some experience in racing.
The guys we are racing with are running VTA and 17.5 class so they very very fast. Its kinda not fair for a couple of new guys trying to compete but it is was it is......
My new question is we both have lower end TX's and servos. I have airtronics mx-v and he has the lower end futaba.
We both feel like maybe a faster TX and servo might help us out.....but not sure......
In oval racing you have few seconds to take a breath and calm down.
Old 12-10-2014, 05:44 PM
Tech Adept

No I am not the 18 to 88 from the colts freak board.
Just a colts fan......
We are the 2 new old guys at Columbus that sit by the door......
Old 12-10-2014, 05:55 PM
Tech Addict

No I am not the 18 to 88 from the colts freak board.
Just a colts fan......
We are the 2 new old guys at Columbus that sit by the door......
I don't know the locals that race there very well. But I know all of the Indy guys that go down. They are all what I would call the A-mainers from Indy. They're still nice and will help out if asked. Except for the goofy one that always wears shorts in the dead of winter.

Come up to Indy some time. We have a lot of people on the slow end too. And we have at least four regulars that are over 60 and a couple more over 50. BTW, old does not mean slow. Doors open at 3pm on Fridays. You usually get a couple hours of practice with nobody but the old retired guys on the track.
Old 12-10-2014, 06:09 PM
Tech Adept

They are all nice guys....and fast......
See If I let one of the fast guys drive my car and he says dude wtf......
Then i am going to be tore up.......
If he says your setup is good its you......then tore up again........
Old 12-10-2014, 06:53 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

We know that because we are older I am 54 and he is 57 that our reaction time is slower....lol
The guys we are racing with are running VTA and 17.5 class so they very very fast. Its kinda not fair for a couple of new guys trying to compete but it is was it is......
My new question is we both have lower end TX's and servos. I have airtronics mx-v and he has the lower end futaba.
We both feel like maybe a faster TX and servo might help us out.....but not sure......
a faster servo can be your friend if you are using really crappy stuff that is really slow.

Though, to be honest in sedan on the cheap we have been happy finding Airtronics 94357 and 94358 servos that feel great, enough so I didn't drop my JR9100S in my sedan. Great $20ish servos used.
Old 12-10-2014, 07:36 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I just started RC racing (or driving any RC car at all) this year at the age of 51. The reaction times are a little slower than they used to be, but in your case if you're used to driving RC cars at all I don't see it as a real issue.

I switched from analog servos to digital servos, but not necessarily for the speed but better centering and slightly higher torque.

As far as speed of the Tx, the latency on 2.4Ghz systems are pretty small so it's hard to imagine much to be gained there. Of course, I use one of these, so who am I to say.

Get someone to help you get a good, consistent setup under the car and make laps! There is no magic bullet, just practice. I've gone from being DFL in the B or C-main to showing up in the A-main lately, with an A-main win and a couple of 2nd places recently. Along the way I've picked up about 1.5 seconds per lap relative to the TQ guys, mostly by tightening up my driving and some by improving the setup on the car.

Mark

Last edited by scirocco14; 12-10-2014 at 07:54 PM.
Old 12-10-2014, 08:32 PM
Tech Apprentice

Great sense of humor! You are already ahead of most.

I drive the Old Milwaukee #82 car so come see me if you think I can assist. I think I have helped one of the other guys at the track, he has reduced his times by .4 sec per lap and now burning packs will get him the rest. I'm ok with deck cars, not so much with tub chassis, not sure what you were running but I still think we can get the cars up to speed. If not me, get to the young man "in shorts" (serpent) or Jonesy (xray) or D Franklin (xray) or B Smith (tub chassis expert), all good people. Heck even Crispy (spec-r) has good stuff if he would "just drive it Sally". Probably going to hear from the political correctness group on that one.

and don't worry about age, i'm 61 (don't tell anyone that), running now for about 6 years in on road and having a blast, make A - B Mains in some larger events. I don't race to win, I just like racing other cars to learn lines and pass moves (me to them and them to me) is what I am after now.

wont be there this Saturday as I plan on another event on Sunday, and yes, I guess age dictates that level of running around, again, don't let that secret out.

hope to see you the following Saturday, Columbus has a lot to offer and great place to learn.

PS I found that the car itself is a good crutch and I like my 3 year old xray in vta. I'll probably never get rid of that one. I have a 2014 T4 xray going on the market soon if interested.
Old 12-11-2014, 04:50 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I'll be there this Saturday and will be more then happy to take a look at your car and help you get up to speed, I'll have my all my setup gear with me.

David
(blue\white javelin)
Old 12-11-2014, 06:22 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Older does not equal slower. VTA cars are slower due to the 25.5 motor. This tightens up the racing and forces you to drive cleaner. If you make a mistake in VTA, due to the speed, there is usually not time to make up for the mistake. At my track, all qualifiers are heads up with cars angled on the straight. Also, the mains are inverted with TQ starting last which makes for some interesting mains.

VTA is also a great way to avoid the TC of the month club.
Old 12-11-2014, 08:24 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

age definitely has nothing to do with it.. I've seen and 71+ yo kick the butts of kids young enough to be his great-grand kids

definitely a faster servo will help...

what setup are you running on the cars? i think that would help get you in the ballpark - sometimes the setup in the manuals aren't the best for all surfaces and you need to look at a more specific carpet/asphalt setup

associated's site has a ton of setups for that car, so look for a carpet (if you're running on that) setup and try that..

otherwise, see one of the locals that are offering help - most guys understand what is needed to get a car to work, even if its not what they currently run

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.