Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2 >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

View Poll Results: what's your tire choice?
Protoform
30.67%
HPI
69.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree4318Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Old 12-04-2014, 08:34 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nf_ekt
Open dialogue? A decent concept I say.
Yeah, really sad when that can't occur as I think even with people disagreeing on something like say the whole motor rule, I don't believe its because they have a bad agenda. But I think people in general forget that sometimes when its not a point a view they agree with.
Old 12-04-2014, 08:52 PM
Tech Initiate

Change, don't change. Stick to a past that didn't work or make changes to the present to insure it won't work tomorrow. This hobby has a lovely history of making very good decisions. I imagine we will be looking at USVTA in the rear view mirror in a few years.
Old 12-04-2014, 08:54 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Originally Posted by prien007
Change, don't change. Stick to a past that didn't work or make changes to the present to insure it won't work tomorrow. This hobby has a lovely history of making very good decisions. I imagine we will be looking at USVTA in the rear view mirror in a few years.
To be honest based on USVTA's willingness to change, I think it will be around fine, and I hope it does stick around as I find the general VTA class fun for myself and my daughter. She especially gets a kick out of putting the old man into the wall.
Old 12-04-2014, 10:32 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

so if the motor rule changes to open...who will it make happy?...all of us who have been in the class and are very happy we have one motor ...or the ppl on here who want to see a change cause...they just do?...no real reason to change it...just cause they think it should be....or they think its $$$ of the Novak is keeping ppl away....or whatever excuse they can create.

If Rob was to change the rule to open tonight, do you know how many ppl would completely come unglued?...like I said before its simple math....more ppl are into this class cause of the ONE motor than those who think company XYZ should be involved. If the open rule works so well....where are the ones running it?...USVTA doesnt say you cant, it says the rules for the USVTA events, you cant...If you club is all about open everything...go for it...and I hope it works out for you...but for the USVTA racers, I believe it what we have here and think its the best Onroad class period..

all this keyboard riding has made me very aware that no matter what is said...ppl want to see their favorite in the mix, and if they are not...they are going to pom pom till the cows come home.

glad I was able to chat with you guys...been on stakeout for the last few days, and man did this pass the time...

well I hope the idea and concept of this class stays true and away from peer pressure from ppl or companies that want in. I believe in loyalty...and I see that the racers who have been loyal to this class and helped it grow are the ones bringing in the new racers under the USVTA banner....continue on
Old 12-04-2014, 10:35 PM
Tech Champion

btw 658
Old 12-04-2014, 10:43 PM
Tech Champion

and 1181 old thread
Old 12-04-2014, 10:43 PM
Tech Champion

http://www.rctech.net/forum/misc.php...osted&t=198728
Old 12-05-2014, 02:11 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default Where are the latest USVTA rules?

Since we are discussing rule changes, I thought I'd look up the latest rules; however, the latest rules at the latest rules pdf link on the USVTA website are outdated, they don't even reflect the ESC change for VTA from this summer. Where do I find the latest USVTA rules for VTA and USGT?
Old 12-05-2014, 03:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by John Wallace2
Since we are discussing rule changes, I thought I'd look up the latest rules; however, the latest rules at the latest rules pdf link on the USVTA website are outdated, they don't even reflect the ESC change for VTA from this summer. Where do I find the latest USVTA rules for VTA and USGT?
Rules are here: http://www.usvintagetransam.com/rules/index.html

"6/2014: THIS CLASS WILL NOW ALLOW ROAR SPEC CLASS ("BLINKY") APPROVED ESCS"
Old 12-05-2014, 03:24 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by howardcano
Rules are here: http://www.usvintagetransam.com/rules/index.html

"6/2014: THIS CLASS WILL NOW ALLOW ROAR SPEC CLASS ("BLINKY") APPROVED ESCS"
Thanks I see what the problem is I clicked on the printable PDF link which has not been updated.
Old 12-05-2014, 04:27 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
its not protection....are you saying guys with older chassis that work great for a class that has slower speeds should retire that chassis and drop $300 on a new chassis to do the same job?...

if you think dropping the weight is going to help anybody with newer chassis..you are correct...but most guys like what they have and have learned their chassis and able to run with the guys using the high end chassis.

what chassis are you running?
A $129 fiberglass & steel Spec-R. Still have to add 70g.

I had to add 150g to my $279 Spec-R. Finally gave up and just switched it to USGT.

Last edited by .crispy; 12-05-2014 at 04:38 AM.
Old 12-05-2014, 04:37 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
so if the motor rule changes to open...who will it make happy?...all of us who have been in the class and are very happy we have one motor ...or the ppl on here who want to see a change cause...they just do?...no real reason to change it...just cause they think it should be....or they think its $$$ of the Novak is keeping ppl away....or whatever excuse they can create.

If Rob was to change the rule to open tonight, do you know how many ppl would completely come unglued?...like I said before its simple math....more ppl are into this class cause of the ONE motor than those who think company XYZ should be involved. If the open rule works so well....where are the ones running it?...USVTA doesnt say you cant, it says the rules for the USVTA events, you cant...If you club is all about open everything...go for it...and I hope it works out for you...but for the USVTA racers, I believe it what we have here and think its the best Onroad class period..

all this keyboard riding has made me very aware that no matter what is said...ppl want to see their favorite in the mix, and if they are not...they are going to pom pom till the cows come home.

glad I was able to chat with you guys...been on stakeout for the last few days, and man did this pass the time...

well I hope the idea and concept of this class stays true and away from peer pressure from ppl or companies that want in. I believe in loyalty...and I see that the racers who have been loyal to this class and helped it grow are the ones bringing in the new racers under the USVTA banner....continue on
I'm not opposed to the one motor rule. I think a "spec" motor is essential to the success of the class.

But surely you can see that the argument you are making for the motor can also be applied to the ESC? Personally, I thought having only the Edge and the HobbyWing as options was just fine. $60 option, $100 option, they both work the same. Pick one, shut up, race.

But then they went and opened that up. I thought to myself "aw oh..., don't they see that every good argument they use for the spec motor they just invalidated by setting this bad ESC precedent?"

And yet, some are acting like the weight/battery limits are sacrosanct?

Last edited by .crispy; 12-05-2014 at 04:49 AM.
Old 12-05-2014, 06:08 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

There's a saying, "if it ain't broke don't fix it."

Is there something wrong with USVTA that requires a rule change? Based on reported turnout, I would say no. Things are fine just the way they are. Changing specs because some people want to doesn't make sense. Yes, some new people will come in, but more people would leave.

USVTA's attraction is a very limited class with scale looking bodies. The more you open those rules up the closer it gets to 17.5 Touring Car. And most people run VTA to get away from that madness.

Turnout in VTA is down because turnout is down all across the RC spectrum. There are many more things people are keeping themselves entertained with other than RC. There are more things involved with the downturn of RC than most people realize.
Old 12-05-2014, 06:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by .crispy
I'm not opposed to the one motor rule. I think a "spec" motor is essential to the success of the class.

But surely you can see that the argument you are making for the motor can also be applied to the ESC? Personally, I thought having only the Edge and the HobbyWing as options was just fine. $60 option, $100 option, they both work the same. Pick one, shut up, race.

But then they went and opened that up. I thought to myself "aw oh..., don't they see that every good argument they use for the spec motor they just invalidated by setting this bad ESC precedent?"

And yet, some are acting like the weight/battery limits are sacrosanct?
There may have been a practical reason for changing to ROAR-approved ESCs. Testing ESCs was probably the biggest time sink for Rob and company. ESCs do go out of production (there aren't very many on the old USVTA list which are still being manufactured), so new ones need to be added to the list. Since ROAR was already testing ESCs, it made little sense to duplicate the effort.

But I'm good with either arrangement. An ESC isn't that big an investment considering I get many years of use from it-- same for the motor, too.
Old 12-05-2014, 06:19 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 1210 (100%+)

Is this becoming a 4 letter conversation? I thought it was USVTA? Too many chiefs around these parts and not enough indians. Don't like the rules, don't run the class and more importantly don't spoil it. Go run a 4 letter class. No one is forcing you to run the class. Pretty F'n simple.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.